Thread: Why am I not losing weight more rapidly? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I'm beginning my 4th paleo week and I've lost 16 lbs in all, but 11.5 of those were in the 1st week. I weigh 370 lbs so I thought that I'd lose weight MUCH more rapidly. I'm weightlifting 4 days/week and I was doing cardio every morning (not this past week). I'm drinking 1 gallon of water everyday and I've eliminated nearly all carbs (~50g/day now). I even fasted for 24 hours yesterday.

What am I doing wrong? Is it the dairy - I eat greek-style yogurt -or- heavy cream with fruit once each day and I'll often have 2 oz. of cheddar cheese with my breakfast scramble?

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

How many calories are you eating?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

JulieD Guest

Congrats on the 16 pounds so far. Please realize that the scale does not tell the whole story. Pay attention to how your clothes fit and your changing body composition, not just the number.

Tarlach is offline Member

I&#39;d drop the dairy.

Don&#39;t try and starve yourself, eat lots of fat and don&#39;t rush. It&#39;s pretty hard to accurately gauge any weight loss over a week. Sometimes it won&#39;t be visible on the scale, other weeks it may rocket down. Just eat right and plod along. It takes most people decades to get overweight, don&#39;t expect to reverse it over a few weeks.

As Julie says, just watch the mirror instead. If you are strength training, you may go up and down with fat and muscle.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

I&#39;m taking in about 2500 (65% fat) calories which might be too low seeing as how I was eating about twice that only a month ago. I&#39;ve been measuring myself and I have lost 8.5" in all, which I realize is awesome, but I often doubt it because there&#39;s so might variance depending on where I put the tape measure or when I measure myself. Also, I&#39;ve been trying on older, smaller clothes and with 8.5" lost you&#39;d think they&#39;d be fitting a lot better but I&#39;m not really squeezing into them any easier today than I did 3 weeks ago.

I have almost 240 lbs of lean body mass so I don&#39;t think I&#39;m gaining much muscle at this point, if anything my performance seems to have suffered in the gym.

I understand that it&#39;s going to take awhile, my goal is to drop below 300 lbs sometime this summer and I think that&#39;s reasonable considering my high starting weight. And then I&#39;ll bang out those last 50 lbs over time, down to my goal weight of 250 lbs, more deliberately as to hang onto as much lbm as possible.

I was thinking it might be the dairy but I&#39;m afraid to drop it - it&#39;s really the only enjoyment I get out of the food I&#39;m eating. I&#39;m a carnivore, don&#39;t get me wrong, but I&#39;m not really consuming any vege&#39;s (strange revulsion as mentioned in another thread) or fruit so it&#39;s meat, meat, meat, meat wrapped in meat, eggs, meat on top of meat, a few nuts, etc., and that&#39;s getting a little old.

Do you really think it could be the dairy? And if so, why?

Thanks for the replies!

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Don&#39;t Panic. And don&#39;t hurry or worry.

It will get down, slowly. It varies with everybody.

I hope you are not in danger of getting overtrained. 8.5" reduction is awesome. You must be adding muscle.

Vick is offline Senior Member

4 lbs a week is amazing. Life isn&#39;t a sprint. We sprint to have a long life.

It doesn&#39;t come off a nice couple of pounds a week. If you are trending down month to month then you are on the road to health.

Enjoy the day.

GotPrimal Guest

I&#39;d drop the fruit, not the dairy.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

But he already said he&#39;s not eating fruit.