Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Places for PB food etc in Australia- list page 4

Isis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Perth
    Free range eggs - Wanneroo markets, local IGAs have Kalbarri eggs
    Pork Crackle!!!! - there's a local brand called Alan's Pork Crackle, based in Maddington, you have to hunt down which local IGAs or Farmer Jacks stock them!
    Spices, alternative flours, chia seeds etc - Wanneroo markets, local IGAs have Kalbarri eggs
    Coconut flour - Health Kick stores have Nui brand, can ask them to order it in
    Coconut oil - Health Kick stores, and some Friendlies Chemists have them too!
    Cocoa powder Green and Blacks- Health Kick stores
    Lindt 85% chocolate, Green and Blacks 85% chocolate - woolies, Coles, IGA
    Free range chicken- Coles has Mt Barkers or something like that

You can get Grass Fed Beef at subiaco's farmers markets and frozen raw cows milk, I just can never seem make it on time there on Saturdays! Can't remember how much their beef is. Cows milk i think is $4/L?

I've noticed Coles seems all proud of its new advertising of its 'hormone free' meat/beef or whatever. how accuarate is that?
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieE View Post
    From my experience, vanilla essences are a bit much straight up on things. Hopefully yours will be really nice.

Kefir... Well it's hard to find other than in specialty stores and select farmer's markets. I mostly would like to make water kefir though which is basically impossible to find.

Canberra
    Uncommon cuts of meat: I was in Canberra looking for a pork shoulder this week and had to call five butchers to find one. I guess they mostly stock cuts of meat rather than whole animals. The butcher in Erindale shopping centre in Wanniassa had pork shoulders though and they were very well priced. The butcher brought out a third of a pig to point to the area i wanted to confirm it with me. You can also see all the giant hunks of animal hanging in the back so they'd probably cut you anything you'd like. I had some crackling thrown in for free too
    The essence is by an organic company, we'll see. I plan on buying vanilla and raw cocoa from that site you recommended shortly. Here is how they describe their essence:

Vanilla Extract (Natural)* 50ml Bottle

100% Natural vanilla essence made from premium quality vanilla beans.

By using an alcohol extraction method, rather than a sugar based method,

our vanilla essencedoes not crystallize when heated.

* The alcohol evaporates leaving a rich, full vanilla flavour behind.

As for all our natural essences, the only preservative used is alcohol.

We are happy to combine postage on multiple purchases.

Welcome to Spice West

*Located in Perth WA we offer the BEST in quality herbs, spices
    and teas, plus carrier, fragrant and essential oils.

My butcher here in Burwood gives me big bags of bones for free when I need it for broth.

Tried some of the Aldi 85% choc today, not bad. I think I need to cut back on my primal cheats, my weight has stalled a bit and I think it might be all the cheese and double cream I've had lately!!
    Last edited by Glamorama; 11-08-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post

You can get Grass Fed Beef at subiaco's farmers markets and frozen raw cows milk, I just can never seem make it on time there on Saturdays! Can't remember how much their beef is. Cows milk i think is $4/L?

I've noticed Coles seems all proud of its new advertising of its 'hormone free' meat/beef or whatever. how accuarate is that?
    I've had a good look at the Coles-stuff. The really expensive cuts like rump steak says "Grain-fed for 100 days" on the packet. This is meat with lots of marbling in it though. I'm not sure about the leaner cuts, I tried a virtually fat-free cut of eye fillet last week, it tasted beautiful but I'm sure it would be grain-fed. Their organic beef-range is described as 100% pasture-fed and hormone-free.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieE View Post
    Check the ingredients list still because I saw organic coconut milk somewhere the other day but it was full of emulsifiers and all that stuff that ruins the loveliness of the coconut milk.
    I checked the ingredients on the can today. It was organic coconut milk and organic guar gum. I bought a a couple of cans to see if it tastes as good. Macro brand from Woolworths.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    I use the Macro coconut cream from Woollies. Quite thick, nice flavour. I blend it with bananas and cocoa powder then freeze in popsicle molds. Nice treat, smooth and creamy. Qld Natural Beef at Toogoolawah in Brisbane Valley for grass fed beef. We went halves in a side just a couple of months ago. They also have pork and lamb.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Off topic but don't know where to look. Is there a way to mark a thread so you can find it again?

charli is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    No idea about kefir. In Norway,where I grew up, you could get kefir in any supermarket. Do they even have that here or is the only option to make from scratch?
    There's a few turkish/persian supermarkets that might have it in Box Hill and Lower Templestowe areas. They might have it?

Also, care to share your butcher? Burwood's near me.

Quote Originally Posted by kahiba View Post
    Off topic but don't know where to look. Is there a way to mark a thread so you can find it again?
    I just search my own name in the advanced search, and this thread comes up because I have been quoted. Now I have quoted you, so you can find it too.

Quote Originally Posted by charli View Post
    There's a few turkish/persian supermarkets that might have it in Box Hill and Lower Templestowe areas. They might have it?

Also, care to share your butcher? Burwood's near me.
    I actually found kefir today, at the Polish deli at Vic Market. Expensive, $9 for a litre!!! I bought the most amazing liverwurst too, just gorgeous and quite cheap, made to a family-recipe. I will never get around to love offal, so liverwurst is the best I can do.

Charlie, my butcher is on the very end up Toorak Rd, near Warrigal Rd, in Camberwell (I'm bordering Camberwell even though I'm in Burwood). The sign only says Quality Butcher, so that might be the trading-name too? I noticed the butchers at the markets charge for ones, so it's nice to get them for free. 2 days ago I got heaps of fresh lamb's bones, and they made the best broth ever. Added fresh parsley in the last hour, with lots of garlic, so tasty!

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Marg, you can subscribe to the thread through the Quick Links link.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast