Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Places for PB food etc in Australia- list page 3

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, for those seeking good prices on any supplements or health food store kind of products actually in a store, the Great Earth chain (they've got shops throughout Melbourne, not sure if in other states) do many items cheaper than anywhere else I've found, and they do seem to price-match. Their bigger stores have everything from vitamins to coconut products to sprouted nuts, organic whatevers. Just be wary of asking staff for advice, in case you luck out and strike a grain-obsessed vegan...

For those who use the stuff, Great Earth do stock Wicked Whey (choc) and Naked Whey (unflavoured), which are good, clean (no crap additives), locally-made, grass-fed whey protein products which taste great, IMHO.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Also, for those seeking good prices on any supplements or health food store kind of products actually in a store, the Great Earth chain (they've got shops throughout Melbourne, not sure if in other states) do many items cheaper than anywhere else I've found, and they do seem to price-match. Their bigger stores have everything from vitamins to coconut products to sprouted nuts, organic whatevers. Just be wary of asking staff for advice, in case you luck out and strike a grain-obsessed vegan...

For those who use the stuff, Great Earth do stock Wicked Whey (choc) and Naked Whey (unflavoured), which are good, clean (no crap additives), locally-made, grass-fed whey protein products which taste great, IMHO.
    awesome, I live near Great Earth in Camberwell. Never thought of using them. Are the cheaper than online stores?

Advice please, does anyone know where I can get pure vanilla beans, not the pods, but the black beans? I thought be a nice sugar-replacement on my berries and cream. Also, ground licorice root? Had no luck trying to find it at the market yesterday.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, that confuses me. Vanilla "beans" are simply the pods (fruit) of the vanilla vine (an orchid), as I understand it. Split them open and squillions of little seeds are inside. If you want a vanilla seed paste to add to desserts, rather than scraping out the seeds from a pod yourself, I imagine you could probably get some from a gourmet providore like Simon Johnson or the like. The stuff you get in supermarkets (like Queen vanilla bean paste) is probably tasty, but I haven't checked the list of ingredients so I don't know how they preserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Sorry, that confuses me. Vanilla "beans" are simply the pods (fruit) of the vanilla vine (an orchid), as I understand it. Split them open and squillions of little seeds are inside. If you want a vanilla seed paste to add to desserts, rather than scraping out the seeds from a pod yourself, I imagine you could probably get some from a gourmet providore like Simon Johnson or the like. The stuff you get in supermarkets (like Queen vanilla bean paste) is probably tasty, but I haven't checked the list of ingredients so I don't know how they preserve it.
    The supermarket stuff is full of other things, often sugar as well. Yes, paste, that's what I want. One stall had it but it was 13.50 for a teeny tiny jar. I guess vanilla is exy.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    I thought Vanilla beans and pods were the same thing??? Apparently (check their web site) the Queen Vanilla Bean Paste has no preservatives... yeah I'm as sceptical as the next person.... Some of their products I know DO contain sugar, some don't, it's worth checking the label.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    The pastes are pretty expensive and very likely full of processed sugar. I'd recommend ordering this stuff, which is dried and crushed vanilla beans Organic Vanilla Powder 30-90g - Professional Whey Protein Powder & Sports Supplements at Wholesale Prices and mashing a tsp with a fresh date for a very similar effect. It ends up being really inexpensive over time- there's a lot of vanilla in that little packet!!! It honestly amazes me.

Does anyone know of a source of water or milk kefir grains in Sydney or Canberra? I'd obviously be happy to pay if it's reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieE View Post
    The pastes are pretty expensive and very likely full of processed sugar. I'd recommend ordering this stuff, which is dried and crushed vanilla beans Organic Vanilla Powder 30-90g - Professional Whey Protein Powder & Sports Supplements at Wholesale Prices and mashing a tsp with a fresh date for a very similar effect. It ends up being really inexpensive over time- there's a lot of vanilla in that little packet!!! It honestly amazes me.
    Thanks! I found a WA-based site yesterday that sells organic vanilla and orange essence without any sugar, only petservative being alcohol, so I ordered that just to see how it works as flavor on berries.

No idea about kefir. In Norway,where I grew up, you could get kefir in any supermarket. Do they even have that here or is the only option to make from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by SophieE View Post
    Thanks! I found a WA-based site yesterday that sells organic vanilla and orange essence without any sugar, only petservative being alcohol, so I ordered that just to see how it works as flavor on berries.

No idea about kefir. In Norway,where I grew up, you could get kefir in any supermarket. Do they even have that here or is the only option to make from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post

From my experience, vanilla essences are a bit much straight up on things. Hopefully yours will be really nice.

Kefir... Well it's hard to find other than in specialty stores and select farmer's markets. I mostly would like to make water kefir though which is basically impossible to find.

Canberra
    Uncommon cuts of meat: I was in Canberra looking for a pork shoulder this week and had to call five butchers to find one. I guess they mostly stock cuts of meat rather than whole animals. The butcher in Erindale shopping centre in Wanniassa had pork shoulders though and they were very well priced. The butcher brought out a third of a pig to point to the area i wanted to confirm it with me. You can also see all the giant hunks of animal hanging in the back so they'd probably cut you anything you'd like. I had some crackling thrown in for free too

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast