Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Places for PB food etc in Australia- list page 28

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    The general public have been hornswoggled by the grain fed lobby that 'marbled' is best. It may be a little more tender but IMHO it tastes like sh1t. I used to raise cattle and would not eat grain fed, and I still don't. If it is marbled with fat, and that fat is hard & white, then whatever the label, it is grain fed.

Forty years ago you couldn't sell it at saleyards, the word would get around after you sold your first lot and your cattle would not be taken by the buyers. The along came the oh so holy and mighty 'Wagyu' - in reality just a big con to sell their marbled and fatty meat which has been forced, by feeding chap, not good enough for human consumption grain, in a dirty feedlot, to a saleable size at a much earlier age.

I shake my head every time I read the Sydney Morning Herald's Good Living - they had one place offering wagyu burgers at $45! And people were paying it!
    wagyu is the breed of cow though. It's not necessarily grain-fed. There's one organic grass fed farm that raises wagyu cows in Australia. It was featured on one of the 2 Aussie episodes of Bizarre Foods. Not that bizarre though... He does eat a bunch of semi bizarre fun stuff in the episodes though- it's worth looking up to watch online.

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for double-posting

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I've just finished my first bowl of kangaroo mince and veges. I couldn't even tell the difference in taste, was expecting it to be gamey. At $7.95kg, just a touch dearer than the grass fed mince we buy from our organic, grass-fed butcher (ok, the meat he sells. I'm sure he doesn't eat grass ), but higher in iron.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieE View Post
    wagyu is the breed of cow though. It's not necessarily grain-fed. There's one organic grass fed farm that raises wagyu cows in Australia. It was featured on one of the 2 Aussie episodes of Bizarre Foods. Not that bizarre though... He does eat a bunch of semi bizarre fun stuff in the episodes though- it's worth looking up to watch online.
    Sophie, I was in the breeding game at the time the wagyu was being developed. They are really just Angus with a tendency to marbling, and most are fed grains, beer and other high carb unnatural foods to fatten them for slaughter. You are better off buying good plain beef from the butchr. And in Australia grass fed is still the norm, grain fed is a more expensive option (due to being labour intensive) and so it is easy to get good grass fed beef here. The situation in the US and Europe is quite different.

Similarly, our dairy is pretty much all grass fed, with the only grain being consumed the small supplemental feed to the cows have when they are in the milking stalls.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozel View Post
    Thx for this thread! Im not in Australia at the moment but am Australian so I am keen to keep an eye on this.

Glamorama - hows the no dairy thing going for you?? have u shifted your weight loss into gear?
    2.5 months without dairy, 3.5 kg down and all seasonal allergies gone! Feeling great. Reached my goal of 65 but now aiming at 63...

Found the best carb-reload for post-WO: the Ayam-brand coconut water in the Asian aisle at Woolies. 100% pure coconut water, with pulp. Super-drink to aid the recovery after a big gym-session. I always throw one into my gym-bag. Last week they were on special for $1.04 each! Tastes amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    I've just finished my first bowl of kangaroo mince and veges. I couldn't even tell the difference in taste, was expecting it to be gamey. At $7.95kg, just a touch dearer than the grass fed mince we buy from our organic, grass-fed butcher (ok, the meat he sells. I'm sure he doesn't eat grass ), but higher in iron.
    Also a lot higher in CLA than any other meat.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Just a word on that grass-fed beef from Aldi. The rump steaks were delicious. Well recommended. They also do porterhouse, eye fillet, scotch fillet and mince.

So Analog6, does that mean the general stuff on sale in Coles & Woolies is grass-fed anyway? Or does that fall in the minority of beef in Aus that isn't?

And as for Kangaroo, I'm interested. I don't know anyone that eats it, but the only person that seemed to know about it reckons it's really unethically farmed/killed. Any thoughts on this, or any brands better than others?

Bamboozel is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic dude! Congrats!! I'm hoping to reach my 10kg weight loss goal by May this year and I think I may be getting pretty close. Already dropped 7kgs in ~50 days so wish me luck like you

I'm in thailand at the moment so the best coconut water I can get would be straight from a coconut that seem to be everywhere over here. Thanks for the tip!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    Just a word on that grass-fed beef from Aldi. The rump steaks were delicious. Well recommended. They also do porterhouse, eye fillet, scotch fillet and mince.

So Analog6, does that mean the general stuff on sale in Coles & Woolies is grass-fed anyway? Or does that fall in the minority of beef in Aus that isn't?

And as for Kangaroo, I'm interested. I don't know anyone that eats it, but the only person that seemed to know about it reckons it's really unethically farmed/killed. Any thoughts on this, or any brands better than others?
    Generally yes. Watch for hard white fat an extensive marbling - those are the signs of grain fed beef. And the stores usually trumpet it on the label anyway - they are quite proud of it apparently - very odd. An don't fall for the 'hormone-free' label at Coles either - ALL Aussie beef is hormone an antibiotic free - it was outlawed about 20 years ago and anyway Aussie farmers rarely bothered - hormones are mainly used to fatten young animals quickly for market, it helps them utilise the food more efficiently. In this country we know good steak is not necessarily from the youngest beef - the tastiest is actually between 1 & 3 years old - over 4 it can start to get a bit tough.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post

The Sunday Age had a big article on the unethical and rather unhygienic practice of kangaroo killing for food 2 years ago. After reading it Ive ahd an issue enjoying my roo, even though I don't mind the taste, it bothers me that I "know" how the meat was stored prior to going to the butchers.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast