Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Places for PB food etc in Australia- list page 24

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    The Aldi organic butter is sooooo cheap. And the 85% moser Roth chocolate is really nice and mild. But the fair-trade dark chocolate is basically milk chocolate.
    Last edited by SophieE; 01-14-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    They have soy emulsifiers though

I make up my own chocolate snack, if anyone's interested. I melt some coconut oil and some cocoa butter (about a tablespoon of each, this isn't a big serve), place into a bowl with some dextrose (about half a teaspoon), some pink salt crystals (a tiny amount), some organic cocoa powder (about a teaspoon) and mix. I gradually add some coconut until it can't take any more and then I eat some

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate Recipe

5 tbsp coconut oil
    5 tbsp cocoa powder
    5 tbsp shredded coconut (I used 6)
    1-2 tbsp honey (I used 1)
    pinch of salt

Mix coconut oil and cocoa powder together, add remaining ingredients, mix well and pour into moulds.
    You can add vanilla extract, nuts, dried fruit etc. To me, this tastes very similar to the Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate. I made 24 chocolates, which works out about 55 cals each. Not too bad for a treat.

Here is a link to the site How to Make Chocolate at Home with Virgin Coconut Oil
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    They have soy emulsifiers though

I make up my own chocolate snack, if anyone's interested. I melt some coconut oil and some cocoa butter (about a tablespoon of each, this isn't a big serve), place into a bowl with some dextrose (about half a teaspoon), some pink salt crystals (a tiny amount), some organic cocoa powder (about a teaspoon) and mix. I gradually add some coconut until it can't take any more and then I eat some
    Sounds nice. I melt some creamed coconut and mix in cocoa powder (well I use raw cacao) until I like the flavor then stick it in the freezer for 10 minutes or less to firm it up before eating. Very mild and doesn't need any sweetener in my opinion but I taste sugar in low amounts. I really don't like carob but the "grain free" (actually has some sprouted millet and sorghum) cafe, the Suveran in Sydney less quite nice squares of carob "chocolates" made with cOconut oil.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    So does anyone have a local source of high quality, refined coconut oil, i.e. the stuff which has all the good MCTs but not the coconut smell/taste? I'm after the sort that is expeller-pressed and mechanically refined (as opposed to chemically). I have seen sources in the US such as Tropical Traditions and Wilderness Family, but I'd rather check it out locally before trying to order from O/S (assuming they would even deliver it here at a reasonable cost).

I've seen the Melrose Foods stuff in various stores, but haven't found any information clearly stating what their refining process is, so I'm a bit dubious.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    So does anyone have a local source of high quality, refined coconut oil, i.e. the stuff which has all the good MCTs but not the coconut smell/taste? I'm after the sort that is expeller-pressed and mechanically refined (as opposed to chemically). I have seen sources in the US such as Tropical Traditions and Wilderness Family, but I'd rather check it out locally before trying to order from O/S (assuming they would even deliver it here at a reasonable cost).

I've seen the Melrose Foods stuff in various stores, but haven't found any information clearly stating what their refining process is, so I'm a bit dubious.
    DME Extra virgin Certified Organic coconut oil
    someone linked to this stuff, not sure if its local or anything yet, I am going to read more on their site and might get some.
    Have you emailed Melrose? That is the stuff I buy.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Yes, Ayla, I've just emailed Melrose to ask for a detailed explanation of their refining process. Will keep you posted!

The DME stuff is not suitable for me because it's extra virgin. Hope you like it though, if you try it.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Sourcat is offline Member
    I have bought quite a few and had to chuck them out, I can't handle the smell when using it for cooking. I exclusively buy Spiral Foods organic virgin/ expeller pressed coconut oil (not extra virgin). They have a website: Spiral Foods | this earth, this food.... It is at my local organic shop in Ivanhoe, Vic.

Nectarine Baby is offline Junior Member
    I totally missed this last time I was here. Shame, I'm out in the wop wops. I have to order a fair bit on line. Going to local supermarkets fun (although I have to give them credit, they do get in a fair bit of organic produce and meat).

Raine is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use the niulife virgin coconut oil, it's very mild but really good with the fat burning - metabolism wise. But it's not extra virgin even though it says it is. There is no such thing as extra virgin coconut oil!. It's simply a marketing ploy.

Oh and for those looking for coconut butter here in oz - you won't find it. But if you put a jar of coconut oil in the fridge for a while, you will have it then. Coconut butter is simply solid coconut oil.

This from the niulife site: Coconut butter is simply the coconut oil in a solid state. However, the expression "coconut butter", while common in the United States, is rarely used in Australia. because the dairy industry has exclusive rights to the name "butter". The only exception is peanut butter. Copha is hydrogenated RBD coconut oil. As a commercial product, “Copha” is also sometimes called "coconut butter".
    Last edited by Raine; 01-15-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast