Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Places for PB food etc in Australia- list page 22

clairebecca88 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I haven't seen anything about Adelaide so far -- so here is my contribution to this thread:

Meat - organic/grass-fed etc: P&O organic butchers, located in the city in the David Jones basement in Food Glorious Food, and also on Magill Road. The Magill Road one is far more useful if you are looking for the more 'uncommon' parts of meat.

Coconut Oil - available in several places in and around the Central Market, but for the best value/selection I go to Goodies and Grains in the Central Markets (Gouger Street side). Ironic name for one of my Primal go-to stores, right? Here you can get several different brands of Coconut oil, and also a store brand, in two different options also - one being wild harvested (generally Vanuatu). Just the other day I also found coconut oil in a pressurised spray can for cooking in the Coles at Central Markets, very useful!

Coconut Flour - i have never seen coconut flour in a store, but I was able to easily order it through the health food store in Burnside Village.

Spices/nuts/dutch pressed cocoa/agave nectar (used in lots of 'paleo treats' recipes) - Goodies and Grains in Central Market - it is all self-serve so you can choose how much you want which I really appreciate

I would be really interested to hear any tips about sourcing wild salmon. I've heard that the canned salmon in Coles is the 'best option' but I couldn't verify that anywhere.

Also, a note on grass-fed beef in Australia: this information was taken from the Meat and Livestock Australia website: Lotfeeding | Meat & Livestock Australia -- my understanding is that most cattle are pasture-raised, by a proportion (see below) are finished on grains, which is not what we want!!

The Australian Lot Feeders' Association (ALFA) and MLA conduct a quarterly lotfeeding survey to monitor trends in the lotfeeding sector.

Key findings from the survey included:

Cattle marketings out of Australian feedlots during 2010-11 increased 5% year-on-year, to 2.54 million head.

Due to the comparatively lower grassfed cattle turnoff for the past year (adult cattle falling 1% year-on-year), cattle finished on grain accounted for 34% of the total adult slaughter for 2010-11, an increase from 33% in the previous year.

Numbers on feed during the June quarter remained stable on last year, at 792,446 head, while turnoff for the quarter totalled 660,097 head - a rise of 18% year-on-year.

While the number of cattle on feed remained relatively stable during the quarter, trading conditions deteriorated.

Despite the difficult trading environment, overall grainfed beef exports totalled 53,431 tonnes swt in the June quarter, a rise of 8% year-on-year and 5% on the previous quarter.

clairebecca88 is offline Junior Member
    Oh - and another thing ...

A great meat option (in my opinion) is kangaroo meat. Very sustainable (so it's responsible, and good for the environment). Kangaroo meat is always from wild kangaroos, with hunting levels set each year depending on the level of drought so that numbers do not dwindle.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    geromino jerky say they use no preservatives
    Maybe I am mistaken, but then again they could actually be cooking the meat, not dehydrating it...

Quote Originally Posted by clairebecca88 View Post
    Oh - and another thing ...

A great meat option (in my opinion) is kangaroo meat. Very sustainable (so it's responsible, and good for the environment). Kangaroo meat is always from wild kangaroos, with hunting levels set each year depending on the level of drought so that numbers do not dwindle.
    But you can only get the leanest cuts of roo, none of the better parts.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Camping ended up being cancelled because the area was too wet for climbing safely. BUT I realized that I haven't shared a really good camping protein meal idea. This meal is light to carry, has heaps of protein and only requires you to pour boiling water over something (just like with packet noodles.) You get packet miso soup (check the ingredients for stuff you don't like and pick a good one) and dried whitebait (from Thai-Kee IGA in Market City, Sydney). Put the whitebait in a sieve or cheesecloth or any cloth really and pour boiling water over it. Mix your Miso up and add the white bait. I also buy extra dried wakame seaweed and bonito (dried fish) flakes to add (I like the way they go nice and stringy plus they provide an extra gram of protein).

You can very easily have tasty 20-30 g protein meals this way. The fish is quite mild and slightly chewy.

The whitebait and bonito flakes aren't presalted like a lot of dried proteins so you don't end up with ultra saltiness.
    Last edited by SophieE; 12-27-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Sourcat is offline Member
    Some great primal finds (especially for holiday BBQ's and for kids on school holidays):

Woolworths Macro sweet potato chips (sweet potato, RSPO palm oil & salt), beetroot chips (similar ingredients) and Smooze coconut & mango fruit ice - freeze it yourself popsicles, found in the grocery section.

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Canberra Primalists :

Had lunch yesterday at the George Harcourt Inn at Gold Creek, they offer (on the specials board) an organic Scotch Fillet steak meal for $21.50. It comes with salad, chips and mushroom sauce. I asked them to hold the chips, sauce and salad dressing, and cook the meat medium rare.

Came out superbly, salad was simple but fresh - great spanish onions, and the steak was out of this world.

Definitely worth a try if you are looking for a primal friendly eat out option in the ACT.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

I contacted woolworths to find out for sure if their macro organic beef is grass fed. It is indeed only grass fed. Though I could tell they were getting annoyed with me wasting their time by making them specify that it wasn't grain-finished (crazy customers wanting to know what their food is fed).

I bought some topside steak for jerky from the butcher in Griffith, Canberra- really nice place. I can't remember who here recommended it but thanks! I will be a regular there. I'm going to go see if they have marrow bones today because I have a craving for the gooey deliciousness and one of my boyfriend's friends has never eaten marrow which I'm appalled about and want to change.

Mountain Wholefoods a few stores up from the Griffith butcher in Canberra had cleopatra's cream (I bought the last one). It's expensive compared to normal cream ($8.35) buy so worth it. Yummmm. I've been having it alongside stewed xylitol-sweetened rhubarb topped with macadamias. The supermarkets don't have rhubarb at the moment but the fruit/veggie shop in Woden Westfield, ACT does. I also noticed that they have celeriac and other hard to find veggies.
    Last edited by SophieE; 01-09-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieE View Post
    I contacted woolworths to find out for sure if their macro organic beef is grass fed. It is indeed only grass fed. Though I could tell they were getting annoyed with me wasting their time by making them specify that it wasn't grain-finished (crazy customers wanting to know what their food is fed).

I bought some topside steak for jerky from the butcher in Griffith, Canberra- really nice place. I can't remember who here recommended it but thanks! I will be a regular there. I'm going to go see if they have marrow bones today because I have a craving for the gooey deliciousness and one of my boyfriend's friends has never eaten marrow which I'm appalled about and want to change.
    I've never had marrow either....! LOL

OK good to know about the Macro Beef. Coles' Organic Meat-range is also entirely grass-fed. I often nick in there after kinder pick-up on the days I have nothing for lunch. The $8 packet of 2 small eye-fillets is my fav!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    I've never had marrow either....! LOL

OK good to know about the Macro Beef. Coles' Organic Meat-range is also entirely grass-fed. I often nick in there after kinder pick-up on the days I have nothing for lunch. The $8 packet of 2 small eye-fillets is my fav!
    Good to know about Coles! Go eat marrow- or at least, next time you have a lamb shank or something, grab a skewer or chopstick to get the marrow out.

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Can anyone weigh in on the Wollongong area? I've only found the Shellharbour Go Vita so far for things like coconut oil and flour. And they are generally "awaiting shipment". I've looked in all the Asian small markets in Wollongong with no joy. I get up to Sydney occasionally - will look at that IGA in Market City next time.

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast