Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Places for PB food etc in Australia- list page 11

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by TKBSJ View Post
    Awesome - thanks Glamorama - PS your profile pic is super lovely
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    Yes it is. I have ben meaning to ask you, what is your camera and what did you do to get the border?
    Thanks!

My avatar was done with my iPhone, then I used the Early Days-filter on my Instagram-app and saved it onto my phone. My actual profile-pic is a wedding-photo done by my talented wedding-photographer.

Went shopping at Woolies today, for the first time they actually had Ghee, it tasted awesome!

charli is offline Member
    Has anyone managed to find liquid smoke in Melbourne?

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Yes I have tried plenty of their stuff. But watch out, they use agave syrup a lot! The kale chips is awesome. The coconut butter tastes terrible. It has the worst aftertaste.
    I echo your sentiments (mostly- But their kale chips make me want to puke). I really resent that they are advertising agave syrup as raw. It's not even close. Nevertheless, their cacao beans are lovely (I nibble on them to stay awak on long drives), I regularly use their raw cacao powder and I grate their raw cacao butter into coconut milk hot chocolates for extra yummy, full-bodied, woody chocolatiness.

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Response from Ayam (the company with the coconut milk without guar gum n all that stuff) customer care to an email my sister sen recently about BPA in cans:

"Thanks for your interest in our products. We understand that many consumers these days are very conscious of what additives and chemicals are in the food they eat. We have undertaken many steps to remove additives such as preservatives, artificial colourings and flavourings wherever possible in our food, and have switched many of our products over to gluten free recipes. We also have organic varieties of our Coconut Milk and Cream available.

I can confirm that the AYAM™*Coconut Milk and AYAM™ Coconut Cream are both 100% natural and do not contain any additives, chemicals, whiteners, or thickeners. The cream is made from 100% coconut kernel extract, and the milk is made from 82% coconut kernel extract, with added water to give it a thinner ‘milk’ consistency. A lot of manufacturers add thickeners and whiteners to their products – but our Coconut Milk and Cream are the only 100% natural coconut milk and cream available on the market.

Bisphenol A (BPA)* is an organic compound used to make polycarbonate plastic and epoxy resins, along with other applications. Polycarbonate plastic, which is clear and nearly shatter-proof, is used to make a variety of common products including water bottles, sports equipment, medical and dental devices, dental fillings and sealants, eyeglass lenses, CDs and DVDs, and household electronics.

Epoxy resins are used in the internal coating of food and beverage metal cans used to protect the food from direct contact with metal. The position of health authorities of all countries that have a regulation on BPA, is that epoxy coating for canned food containing BPA is safe for consumers and the environment when used as intended, and in an amount that does not exceed the prescribed safe level.

At present, the Coconut cans we use do contain trace elements of Bisphenol A. We comply with all standards set by the USFDA and also European Council directives for levels of acceptable BPA.

Considering the review under way on the use of BPA, producers of resins and lacquers for the food industry are developing alternative coatings for cans that are BPA free. *AYAM™ follows these developments closely, and has begin to switch to BPA-free lacquers, as they are becoming available. We have already begun the switchover to BPA-free cans for AYAM™ canned tuna and AYAM™ club sardines, as these are our biggest sellers globally. All the other ranges, including coconut, will follow, and AYAM™ targets to have completed the switch to BPA-free cans within a short period of 2 years from when the BPA-free lacquer becomes available.

For more information on Bisphenol A, please visit Food Standards Australia New Zealand

Thank you for your enquiry and we trust you will continue to enjoy using AYAM™ products.

*"

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone know what's in the marinade of those chicken kebabs you get from the supermarket? I went to a friends for dinner last night and she tried to provide a meal without wheat. But this morning my chest it so tight and the baby has small patches of eczema coming up. I pretty much knew they'd be full of sugar but now I'm wondering what else was in there?
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

peril is offline Senior Member
    A lot of those marinades use "corn starch" as a thickener. However, most corn starch sold here is actually made from wheat. Then there is possibly vegetable oil and msg. That stuff is just not fit for eating
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    Kelty Farm (Tasmania) supply completely pasture fed beef. I buy mine from Eumurrah shop in Launceston.

Sourcat is offline Member
    Anyone found spaghetti sqaush here in Melbourne? Also - they have to have a thickener in those kebabs, so it must have been wheat based. What do you recommend use to thicken sauces?
    Last edited by Sourcat; 12-10-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TKBSJ View Post
    Loving Earth - Our Products

Has anyone tried the above? It looks to have some pretty great stuff!!
    I have only tried their chocolate, and I HATED it. Horrible, gritty, paste-like texture. Very disappointing.

Thanks for the warning about their coconut butter, Glamorama - I was going to try that next.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Sourcat I know in Indian cooking yoghurt is used in the marinade and some middle eastern cooking. So you could try that.

I do not so much make sauces as plonk cream in stuff now. For example leeks = saute leek in butter, grate fresh nutmeg, put some cream in and cook down. Steak= cook steak, put cream (or sour cream that is quite delish) in suacepan on lowest heat and whisk, a bit of salt and pepper and if you like a few fresh herbs ( a little thyme is nice) when it bubbles, take off and put on steak.

Back in Melbourne for Christmas, hope to add more meaningfully to this thread!
    Life. Be in it.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast