Thread: Help with Primal Diet page

oi8abug is offline Junior Member

Help with Primal Diet

Primal Fuel
    Hi! New here.... This is what a typical day is for me: how "primal" am I?

Banana
    Coffee with cream (sometimes with MochaSplenda)
    (walk 2.5 miles a day 3+ x's a week)
    1 Chicken apple sausage & 1/2 avocado -or- Ezekial Sesame Bread (is this acceptable?) with 2 poached eggs
    1/4 cup almonds
    Glass of OJ
    Salad with chicken breast with pomegranate vinagerette or my own (1 Tblsp mayo with 1/8 cup Bernsteins Restaurant recipe italian dressing)

And usually this tides me over. Oh, not to forget my evening red wine or mimosa...

Ok: so what do I need to get rid of or Exchange for ???

I have been cutting out sugars, grains, legumes since Aug 2nd and have lost 7 lbs this way. Thanks for your help!!

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps you could swap the almonds for dried coconut. Nuts can be high in Omega 6 and most people have a hard time limiting the amount.

Drop the orange juice, eat an orange. Drop the banana and see how you feel. Add more vegetables spinach, broccoli etc.

Is this just an example or do you always eat alot of chicken. Perhaps swap some chicken for beef.

Check the ingredients of your mayo and your bernsteins dressing. If you like condiments there are lots of ideas on the recipe page.

It is worth reading the Start Here page a few times, as you will pick up something new every time.

I have no idea what Ezekial bread is.

You could experiment a bit with eliminating Ezekial bread and the nightly wine and see how you feel, look and weight loss. You can add these back later depending on how you feel.

It really is a personal journey, but do follow the basics first, and get that correct, it really is excellent. Especially the Primal blueprint exercise e-book, you may be ready for the next stage of LHT.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Belforte; 11-03-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Life. Be in it.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    If you want to go whole hog on Primal, the Ezekial bread should be out of your diet. Primal is no grains or legumes. Here are the ingredients.

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

LOTS of grains and legumes.

WOW! no kiddin...Ezekial is out! Thx for ur posts... I really want to learn more so will watch more closely what I put in my mouth..... Thx again'

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Here's what Mark had to say on the matter of sprouted grains for those who missed it.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I would take it easy on the OJ, and add more veggies.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    That doesn't seem like much food but if you're satisfied, then great! I do think there are some places where other choices would be better for you:

Banana & Glass of OJ: If you're going to have fruit, it's best to eat fruit in tact, not as a juice. Juices are almost as bad as soda as far as the sugar hit and the fiber in fruit helps your liver deal with the fructose better. If you're trying to lean out, fructose is not your friend. Google Dr. Robert Lustig for more on this. He's got a great lecture on youtube. If you want fruit, lower fructose fruits like berries are way better.

Coffee with cream (sometimes with MochaSplenda) - Some folks are anti-caffeine. I'm not one of them. I love coffee myself. As long as your sleep's good, rock on with the coffee. Cream is great. High calorie, but satisfying. I'd ditch the Splenda. Ideally we'd all drink our coffee unsweetened. I have to admit, I still like a bit of sweet in my coffee, so I use a few drops of stevia (NOW brand). I'm not saying it's good for you but I would say it's likely less bad than the sucralose.

1 Chicken apple sausage & 1/2 avocado: Avocado = Win. Chicken apple sausage may be win. Just read the ingredients. If it has grains, sugars, starches, additives you can't identify, or processed vegetable and seed oils (canola, soybean, safflower, etc.) then it is less ideal than just eating the meat. Some of these things are worse than others. Grains and more than a little bad oil or sugar are right out in my book.

Ezekial Sesame Bread (is this acceptable?): Nope. Sprouted grains are better than unsprouted grains but they're still bad for you. They're at best nutritionally empty. At worst, they're inflammatory and lead to chronic disease.

1/4 cup almonds: Not bad. They've got some omega 6. People can tend to overeat them. I found I just don't snack much now that I've been primal for awhile and I'm getting enough food at my meals. When I first started, I snacked on nuts a bit. If you plateau, it's something to think about chucking.

Salad with chicken breast with pomegranate vinagerette or my own (1 Tblsp mayo with 1/8 cup Bernsteins Restaurant recipe italian dressing): Salad is awesome. Chicken is good. You may want to get more of a variety of meat. (Red meat isn't bad for you!) I'm not liking this dressing, though. Sorry, but off-the-shelf mayo and dressings are generally not primal. The oils they use are typically the inflammatory vegetable and seed oils, and often added sugars and thickeners. Making your own dressing and mayo isn't hard though. It'll take you ten minutes to make enough for the week.

Oh, not to forget my evening red wine or mimosa...: Yeah. I do that, too. Is it perfect? No. If you stall, it's a good thing to cut. Otherwise, enjoy! If we get to hard assed with ourselves, it just isn't sustainable.

That said, personally I eat some non-primal foods now and then. I try to be more disciplined in my daily food so when I eat out or go to a party, I can take things more in stride.

Thank you DaisyEater! Great info!! I am really trying to make this work, especially cuz with the 'minor' (ok, MAJOR, in my book) dietary changes, I feel SO much better!
    I am a flight attendant, and we ALL get what we term as 'Jet Belly'. That is from all the carbs we eat. We just EXPAND when we get at cruise! So I really do know that this change works, I just want to know how to make it BETTER!!

Here is what I ate today:
    0930: 2 EB hard boiled eggs 2 cups coffee (cream + MochaSplenda)
    1200N: Banana
    1600: 10 small slices of salami, 1 oz processed cheese (I know, yuk--airplane food), 10 green olives, 15 raw almonds
    2000: STEAK!!! mixed veggies, gr beans, wax beans, carrots. (uh oh..beans. Not good, was it?) Champagne (we were celebrating the sale of my home!!) and red wine.

I feel GREAT!! where do u think I am calorie/carb wise? Or besides that... Paleo? We went to diner at The Ram, so I skipped the potato and doubled up on the veggies.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    That doesn't seem like much food but if you're satisfied, then great! I do think there are some places where other choices would be better for you:

Banana & Glass of OJ: If you're going to have fruit, it's best to eat fruit in tact, not as a juice. Juices are almost as bad as soda as far as the sugar hit and the fiber in fruit helps your liver deal with the fructose better. If you're trying to lean out, fructose is not your friend. Google Dr. Robert Lustig for more on this. He's got a great lecture on youtube. If you want fruit, lower fructose fruits like berries are way better.

Coffee with cream (sometimes with MochaSplenda) - Some folks are anti-caffeine. I'm not one of them. I love coffee myself. As long as your sleep's good, rock on with the coffee. Cream is great. High calorie, but satisfying. I'd ditch the Splenda. Ideally we'd all drink our coffee unsweetened. I have to admit, I still like a bit of sweet in my coffee, so I use a few drops of stevia (NOW brand). I'm not saying it's good for you but I would say it's likely less bad than the sucralose.

1 Chicken apple sausage & 1/2 avocado: Avocado = Win. Chicken apple sausage may be win. Just read the ingredients. If it has grains, sugars, starches, additives you can't identify, or processed vegetable and seed oils (canola, soybean, safflower, etc.) then it is less ideal than just eating the meat. Some of these things are worse than others. Grains and more than a little bad oil or sugar are right out in my book.

Ezekial Sesame Bread (is this acceptable?): Nope. Sprouted grains are better than unsprouted grains but they're still bad for you. They're at best nutritionally empty. At worst, they're inflammatory and lead to chronic disease.

1/4 cup almonds: Not bad. They've got some omega 6. People can tend to overeat them. I found I just don't snack much now that I've been primal for awhile and I'm getting enough food at my meals. When I first started, I snacked on nuts a bit. If you plateau, it's something to think about chucking.

Salad with chicken breast with pomegranate vinagerette or my own (1 Tblsp mayo with 1/8 cup Bernsteins Restaurant recipe italian dressing): Salad is awesome. Chicken is good. You may want to get more of a variety of meat. (Red meat isn't bad for you!) I'm not liking this dressing, though. Sorry, but off-the-shelf mayo and dressings are generally not primal. The oils they use are typically the inflammatory vegetable and seed oils, and often added sugars and thickeners. Making your own dressing and mayo isn't hard though. It'll take you ten minutes to make enough for the week.

Oh, not to forget my evening red wine or mimosa...: Yeah. I do that, too. Is it perfect? No. If you stall, it's a good thing to cut. Otherwise, enjoy! If we get to hard assed with ourselves, it just isn't sustainable.

That said, personally I eat some non-primal foods now and then. I try to be more disciplined in my daily food so when I eat out or go to a party, I can take things more in stride.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Will do!!! Thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    I would take it easy on the OJ, and add more veggies.