Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal primal challenge for November: eliminating cheese or chocolate? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Personal primal challenge for November: eliminating cheese or chocolate?

Shop Now
    I've been nearly nut-free for a month, and I was hoping to eliminate other sources of weaknesses I've had with certain unhealthier foods in my diet, since I noticed that a lack of nuts significantly reduced my cravings for buying them. Recently I've been eating a lot of cheese and chocolate (my two largest vices), and I look forward to eating both when I get back home, to my 2-3 oz gourmet raw, organic, or goat cheese from Whole Foods, and part of a 100% Ghirardelli baking bar. I feel like I should eliminate one of them because, combined, they comprise of at least 1/4 of my diet, and are by no means healthy compared to red meat. I'm looking to only take out one, just so that I can feel like I can get a treat every evening. I am trying to weigh the benefits of antioxidants in the chocolate and potential hormonal dangers in the cheese versus the carbohydrates and phytates in the chocolate and the extra protein/bacteria in cheese. Which would be a better food to take out?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Keep the chocolate, duh!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Keep the chocolate, and if you're still eating enough meat and veg then there's absolutely nothing wrong with still eating the cheese as long as you tolerate it.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I actually don't believe those foods are unhealthy at all, in moderation, if you handle cheese and the quality is there. If I DID believe they were unhealthy I'd be in big trouble....
    Chocolate is the major source of antioxidants for a lot of people and except for the sugar (minimizable) research shows that it is straight up health food. Cheese is animal fat and protein, basically - remove the water and the lactose from milk, let enzymes do some work, you got cheese.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Haha I guess for me 1/4 of my diet in cheese and chocolate is a bit unhealthy, especially since they're not as nutritious as vegetables and meat. I am lucky to be able to handle dairy very well, so I can pretty much eat my day's worth of food in cheese and yogurt and not be affected at all (I know because it's happened...) But if you guys say that it's not too bad, then I'll just continue with my current habit as is. Just wanted to get some feedback

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    1/4 of your calories from those two "food groups" is quite a bit, it's true. Maybe go three days a week without chocolate and three days without cheese? some of the days you could not have either, some days you could have both, whatever.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbike View Post
    keep the chocolate, duh!
    + 1 qft!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Make your own chocolate- use quality cocoa powder and mix with coconut oil, and maybe some coconut flakes and/or nuts if you want. Dried berries work well too.

Mix well and freeze, or at least refrigerate.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate = sensible primal goodness.

Off-Topic: The abbreviated title of this thread make it look like we're talking about pooping!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Off-Topic: The abbreviated title of this thread make it look like we're talking about pooping!
    This made me chuckle out loud at my desk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast