Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry skin :( page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Dry skin :(

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed that since starting the primal diet my skin has become super dry. My finger tips are all scaley looking and are even starting to crack on one hand. I've tried everything including drinking more water and using more lotion than anyone should have to and it wont let up. Is this a sign that I'm possibly not getting some kind of vitamin? It's really gross, a girl should not have dry skin like this! Could it be the primal diet? Maybe I'm just being paranoid haha. But seriously, the weather here hasn't changed, I'm drinking a ton of water and using lotion so I have no idea whats going on Oh, and I'm not washing my hands any more than I normally do and I always use gloves when I wash the dishes. =/ It's not just my hands too, all of my skin seems to be a little dry. I've never had this problem before.

kristi41 is offline Junior Member
    I don't know what to tell you, but I just wanted to chime in and say, "me too". My skin has been dryer than normal and my eyes are super dry too. I know that primal/low carb makes you lose a lot of water, but I don't know how to replenish your skin's moisture

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Usually B vitamin deficiency. How much liver do you eat in a week? Perhaps try doubling it. It's pretty hard to overdose on it unless you eat it every day.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    have you had your hormones checked lately? Before I got treated for hypothyroid, I felt like I could itch my skin off , it was beyond dry. Nothing worked for it until i got on meds. But hopefully that is not it in your case.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I've had my thyroid checked about a million times and it always comes back on the low end of normal so they won't do anything about it. My current doctor thinks I'm crazy. I'm pretty sure he thinks I made up all the symptoms I used to deal with before going grain free. I have been really itchy too, I didn't realize that the two may be connected until now.

As far as liver goes...I don't think I'll ever be able to eat liver. I just can't get myself to do it. I can barely look at it. /gag However, I've been taking B complex vitamin drops for about two weeks. Actually, I just read the bottle and I'm probably not taking enough or using them the right way o.O I kind of feel like a noob now. I'll see if fixing that makes a difference at all.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    My skin is so dry too since going primal. My hands hurt just flexing them. It's so bad I'm tempted to put pure lanolin on them at night but then I'm not sure how to remove it without making my skin dry again.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    My skin is so dry too since going primal. My hands hurt just flexing them. It's so bad I'm tempted to put pure lanolin on them at night but then I'm not sure how to remove it without making my skin dry again.
    Then what are you eating, and what are not eating that you probably should be?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

oi8abug is offline Junior Member
    Wow... Me too. Never thought of a connection to my diet. My legs have been soooooo itchy and my thumbs are dry on the tips!! Will try the vite B thing....

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    IME, my dry skin is usually related to any combination not having my diet in check (ie, letting my 20% be really bad 20% stuff) or using soap that is too harsh and drying (ie the handsoap my husband loves but is little more than fragrant chemical soup...I do much better with Dr. Bronners castille soap) and weather (esp now that it's getting colder here). I switched to almond oil for moisturizer a long time ago and my skin seems to do a lot better with that than traditional lotions.

If you are newly primal, it could just be your body adjusting to things and your skin might normalize in a month or two.

Also, with a low normal thyroid + symptoms, I'd find a new doctor. There are MANY that WILL treat if you have symptoms...my doc told me that what they thought was "low normal" may just actually be "low" for some people...A low dose of thyroid hormone made a HUGE difference in my quality of life.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

shmee is offline Senior Member
    To ease some of the discomfort, try coconut oil. I've always used it as a lotion, it works great.

Hope you get things figured out on the inside from the other suggestions.
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast