Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Carb? page

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Looking for high calorie (dense), low GI if possible, carb sources as part of a post-intense workout dinner. Probably going to keep the serving size to ~50g at most, and steering clear of processed foods for sure.

I was thinking about trying poi (I live in Hawaii), but noticed the glycemic load is 28 according to nutritiondata.com, while white rice is 18, and a baked potato is 6.

Any recommendations?

stevehtcyl is offline Member

Why do you want a post workout dinner?

Leave it at least an hour and then just eat like you normally would, you'll be just as well off.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Sweet potatoes are my favorite. I love it smeared in butter!

And bananas and quinoa. Those 3 are my carb staples.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Steve -

My workouts are usually finished around 7-8, so... my post workout meal is basically dinner.

Raphael -

quinoa? I&#39;ve never seen or heard of that, but maybe I haven&#39;t been looking, where do you normally find them in the grocery store? Looks like it might be something that&#39;s sold in a "specialty health store".

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Well quinoa is not primal. It&#39;s a seed, or grain, whatever, but I still love it. If you&#39;re not very strict, then you should try it. It&#39;s hard to find them in regular supermarkets but they do have it in "health" stores and at Whole Foods.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Ah interesting. Well, I was doing VLC (< 10g/day) for about 6-8 weeks and dropped roughly 25 lbs. So, by all means a little too quickly.

Wasn&#39;t under-feeding at all either, 2400 cal/day and feeling satiated. In fact sometimes I felt like I was force feeding just to get 2400.

In any case, I purposely wanted to slow down the fat loss and incorporate some carbs in there, and figured right after an intense workout to be best (and to avoid them on a rest day, as contrast). So, definitely down to try out anything at the moment!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I don&#39;t usually eat in the post-workout window, but when I do plan to throw in so post-workout carbs, I go for either a banana with almond butter or a baked sweet potato drowned in 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. Yum.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Sweet potatoes fried in butter and cinnamon

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Cubed sweet potato and diced onion sauteed in coconut oil, served with a burger! I never get tired of it; really hits the spot.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

I love my sweet potato spicy. I usually make up a blend of &#39;taco seasoning&#39; type spices, and then pan fry the diced sweet potato in a $/%? load of butter. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Haven&#39;t had that since going primal.

Funny how we talk about bananas and potatoes as treats now, isn&#39;t it?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast