Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oral Health & PB page

annadragon is offline Junior Member

I hope I chose the right forum for posting this.

Both Stephan at Whole Health blog and Richard at Freetheanimal have posted regarding Paleo/PB, Weston Price and oral health.

In fact, Richard recounted a story about his recent dentist visit where he revealed *gasp* he doesn't brush daily!!

I was wondering if any other PBers or Paleo's had similar stories or insights into their own oral health since going Primal. Tarlach is probably our most out-spoke and hardcore Paleo guy. I'd love to hear any oral health findings he's had.

My reason for posting this is recently my gums have become inflammed again This was a huge problem last year for me but since adopting primal eating habits it's been relatively nil. I've had two episodes where I totally fell off the PB wagon but the recent one was Memorial Day weekend and this is just now manifesting.

All comments and stories welcome.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I'm interested in other people's stories too...

just wanted to say that this post reminded me of this shirt:

http://www.threadless.com/product/1770/No_Sweets

I might order it. I think it's awesome.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

I do peroxide and baking soda. I'm allergic to artificial sugar, so that rules out pretty much all toothpaste except like Tom's of Maine or other similar products... and I find them to not work very well. The only downsides to peroxide-baking soda is the extremely salty flavor (I know it's sodium bicarbonate, so it makes sense) and the whole making sure not to swallow any... but my teeth have never been cleaner, and if I am not in a place to brush on a 12 or 24 hour basis, I don't feel like I'm coughing up poison clouds. I don't know how primal it is, but it works

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

http://tarablogsabouteverything.blogspot.com/2008/11/homemade-toothpaste.html

Sometimes I do homemade, sometimes I do Toms fennel w/o fluoride.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Karin Guest

Honestly, it's all about the mechanical scrubbing action dislodging the bugs 'n crud. You could brush with water and be fine. Toothpaste does have a slight abrasiveness and a pleasant taste but it's optional. The brush is the important part. It doesn't have to be a fancy brush, though. Just one with soft bristles (don't want your gums to recede with too much pressure or scrub away enamel). Angle toward the gum line. Circular motion. Not too hard. And floss. Definitely floss. (I used to work for a dentist. That doesn't make me an expert, of course. But i can recite his shtik in my sleep.) Oh and i love that Tom's fennel flavor, too. Great for anyone who wants the taste of black licorice without eating candy.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Wow Tara that's make your own toothpaste is pretty darn cool. Where the heck do you get prickly ash bark and Al3+ free baking soda?

I might adopt this for a while since my dental insurance in non-existent for a few more months. See what happens at my next visit

Anna- both at the health food store for me!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

grandma is offline Member

I think vit D and vit K are essential for oral health -- and everything else health too.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Heck yeah sir grandma! I take high D and eat natto for the K

grandma is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Tara, I haven't been able to find natto -- is it as gross as people say (I guess you're not the one to ask since you seem to eat a lot of it LOL) I go the aged cheese route -- stinkier the better LOL.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast