Thread: Nutrients in eggs and the downfall of consuming raw -opinions? page

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hey all, I read that apparently egg whites really arent that good for you! They contain avidin, which prevents vitamin B absorption.

Now, I cant eat the yolks (tummy trouble) so I usually eat 4-5 egg whites in the morning. Am I doing myself a disservice by consuming egg whites? I always thought that while I cant eat the yolks, that the whites were good for protein at least. But now, without the benefit of the nutrients in the yolk, maybe eating whites is doing more harm than good?

Thoughts?

Source:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

maba is offline Senior Member

I thought that was the case with raw-whites but not cooked ones. Let me go read the link.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Yeah it says that it only reduces avidin by like 30% when cooked though, soooo still 70% of it in there and active!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

I like mine raw (raw egg eggnog!), slightly cooked (hot water blended with raw eggs), hard-boiled, fried, soft-boiled, poached...

I like eggs!

Oh, and custard....

:-P

Vick is online now Senior Member

Eggs should be cooked. The main reason is cooking eggs releases 95% of the nutrients vs only 65% when eaten raw. Therefore to receive the same nutritional value you need to eat 3 raw eggs for every 2 cooked eggs.

http://www.cbass.com/Faq(8).htm

gn
    gn is offline Junior Member

i discard whites, and eat yolks raw mixing them with melted butter - you can use it as a dip for something else