Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College Student Dabbling in Primal - Looking for Support page 2

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Primal University

Check this website out

Celeste is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for sharing the link! The blog is quite interesting.

ppham27 is offline Member
    I'm a recent college graduate, and people definitely thought I was crazy at first. People cannot believe how much butter and eggs I go through every week. I tell them it's all very healthy, and they just seem more shocked.

Give it a few months and that disdain will turn into admiration when you have six-pack abs . Seriously, being in shape is a huge confidence booster, and your energy levels will be much better. Eventually, you learn to stop caring. Heck, I walk around barefoot around Cambridge and squat waiting for the signal to cross the street some times. I've found when you look great and speak with confidence, people are actually quite interested in primal/paleo. Who wants to be normal anyway when the majority are overweight?

charli is offline Member
    People do end up noticing that you're eating differently. For example, I cook my beef rare while everyone else cooks their beef well done. I'm constantly told that i'm eating raw meat and that it's not good for me, or asked if I swam across the river, slaughtered a cow and bought it back to uni. Usually I run with the joke and joke back that they're eating burnt meat or tell them to stop collecting rocks and calling it food.

charli is offline Member
    I live on campus, so avoiding college parties and what not is next to impossible. I find that i'm at my weakest when i feel like i'm missing out on something or when i'm being pressured into trying something.
    We have three compulsary college dinners a week. I just see the chef at the start of each year and remind him what I can or can't eat, blaming it on my thyroid issues and that it's 'doctors orders'. I end up getting much better food than everyone else because it's not mass produced, people actually fight for the food I'm too full to eat. It's hard at the start though when everyone is eating fries and plates of dessert.
    To combat forced alcohol consumption I make cucumber water before hand and pretend i'm drinking or shotting vodka. People tend not to question you if you have a drink in your hand.
    If everyone is ordering pizza or fast food, I make my own pizza or beef patties and cook vegetables in the shape of chips. I usually blame this on 'allergies' or my thyroid.
    As it's been said already in this thread, people don't like it when other people are different to them. Don't mention primal/paleo. Trick them into thinking you eat exactly like they do, and you're already half way there.
    Hope this helps

tec1207 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charli View Post
    People tend not to question you if you have a drink in your hand.
    That is absolutely true, and something I never really thought about. Good advice.
    Theresa

Two important questions to ask yourself every week:
    Did I run faster and farther this week than I did last week?
    Can I lift more weight and do more repetitions that I did last week?

Meat is offline Junior Member
    Whenever they start bumping their gums about how eating fortified gluten cubes is the right path, bust out your trusty bag of blood, down it, and start speaking in and out of tongues as to how the animal is become you. Then yell, "Wolverines", kick off your shoes, and sprint off into the horizon. They'll stop fronting. Or just start judo-choppin' fools. Science supports all that.

heatherlise is offline Junior Member
    I started my first year of university as well this year, and I've been living on residence.
    I've been lucky as my school does not require us to be on meal plan (one of the deciding factors for me). There is also a great grass-fed butcher shop and fruit/vegetable market that is a 10 minute walk from my building.

People also think the way I eat is weird, especially my room mate, who is overweight. She thinks I eat WAY too much bacon, hahaha. I hate talking/ explaining pale/primal lifestyle because no one ever understands and they give you weird looks.
    I laugh went ever my room mate comes home from grocery shopping all proud that she "bought only healthy stuff, no junk", skim milk, cereal, orange cheddar, bread, nutella.... yeah all that typical stuff.
    I just tell people I have wheat intolerance and thats the end of it.
    When it comes to social events, I normally can find something on every restaurant menu that is close to primal.
    For drinking, I tend to drink more red-wine.
    When I do drink vodka or rum, i usually make a smoothie (coconut milk, berries, and maybe a banana) in my magic bullet and mix with that.
    Nights when i do that, everyone is always begging for sips of my drink "cause it tastes sooooo good"

Celeste is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the tips guys! Things have been getting a bit easier. I have a friend considering trying it with me or at least a modified version (anything would be better than what she eats...). She made it a whole day without wheat and couldn't believe it haha I've just began telling people I have a wheat intolerance or that I am on an anti-inflammatory diet for health conditions. Most people don't even know what foods are anti-inflammatory or not and just say "good for you" and move on.

I'm on Day 11 today of the 21-Day Challenge! I must say, my cravings for bagels, subway, and sweetened coffees has gone down considerably. I also don't think about food as much when I'm bored and feel much more satisfied between meals.
    However, I have had headaches every single day and have felt pretty weak, but I'm not sure if it's from a virus my mom had a week before we started (same-ish symptoms) or somethig from the diet. Has anyone else had headaches or weakness related to eating primally?

heatherlise is offline Junior Member
    yeah, i also gets headaches during the first couple days of getting back onto primal. I think it is just your body adjusting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12