Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Food "As Is" page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Eating Food "As Is"

Primal Fuel
    Some foods I've began to eat as is, without added ingredients, spices/herbs, sauce, etc. For instance, I just had a bowl of spinach with some chicken, with nothing added for flavor. I find when I limit the amount of "flavor booters" I add to my food, my taste buds have a better appreciation for the simpler things.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 11-02-2011 at 12:42 PM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating this way more often too. I love to cook and spice things up, but lately, my tastes have just been for really simple stuff.

I think what contributed to this is when I began to look at food more as fuel/nutrients for my body, rather than enjoyment for my taste buds.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Maybe that's what it is. I've definitely come more to that mindset over the past few months/year.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think that's one of the coolest concepts about learning what the hell food consists of. I always think to myself "got my fat, got my protein" and sometimes "got my carbs... I'm ready" when I make a meal. I similarly freak out if I know a meal is missing fat or protein, because... well then I must be eating a bowl of spinach like a weirdo =]

This is also a big driving factor in the "food reward" hypothesis some paleo blogger put forth. I didn't read too much into it, but he said people that eat food with "less reward" (ie: less savory foods, plainer foods) do better from a fat loss standpoint as they eat for nourishment not for flavor (or more for nourishment, less for flavor) and thus are less likely to over-eat.

I don't really have a problem with this, I just make a portion and eat it, and I prefer to eat food that tastes good, that being said, most of the food I eat doesn't get overly seasoned because I just don't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think that's one of the coolest concepts about learning what the hell food consists of. I always think to myself "got my fat, got my protein" and sometimes "got my carbs... I'm ready" when I make a meal. I similarly freak out if I know a meal is missing fat or protein, because... well then I must be eating a bowl of spinach like a weirdo =]

This is also a big driving factor in the "food reward" hypothesis some paleo blogger put forth. I didn't read too much into it, but he said people that eat food with "less reward" (ie: less savory foods, plainer foods) do better from a fat loss standpoint as they eat for nourishment not for flavor (or more for nourishment, less for flavor) and thus are less likely to over-eat.

I don't really have a problem with this, I just make a portion and eat it, and I prefer to eat food that tastes good, that being said, most of the food I eat doesn't get overly seasoned because I just don't like that.
    Haha. To clarify I had some chicken with it.

Good point about those wanting to lose weight. When you make your food choices based on logic rather than impulsive craving for flavor, you're more likely to eat well.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I think what contributed to this is when I began to look at food more as fuel/nutrients for my body, rather than enjoyment for my taste buds.
    Yeah this is kind of how I am now too. And I have nothing against most spices/herbs but I've never been very good at knowing what goes together. Generally, if I feel like something's missing, I just add butter. Works for me. Maybe one day when I take more of an interest in cooking "properly" (and with other people in mind) I'll mix it up. Until then I'm fine preparing mostly plain meals for myself, since I'm plenty satisfied with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Good point about those wanting to lose weight. When you make your food choices based on logic rather than impulsive craving for flavor, you're more likely to eat well.
    Actually, it would seem (from a scientific standpoint) that our natural cravings for certain foods are there for a reason. It's just that the selection now is quite different than what our ancestors had, so that throws everything off.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I also enjoyed food plain for quite awhile. Now that I've been hardcore for about seven months, I'm getting more into herbs and spices for fun, but the subtleties of real food are definitely enjoyable once one can detect them! Once we drop the salt and sugar mega-doses, the tongue can do amazing things.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

activia is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE primal food. Most dinners I would love to eat double or stuff myself to capacity. haha so I dont think that is going to help me

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i think that i have always have had simple tastes. Probably a lot b/c my mother really is not a good cook, and gravy & sauces were really beyond her abilities (just as they are for me). So simple food tastes fine to me. I notice it especially with seafood. I like it plain. It really never needs much b/c it tastes so good on its own. We have some "cajun/creole/mishmash" places in town that slather the poor seafood in creamy rich sauces that i have always thought were just overkill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast