Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb Tortillas page

wellbeinggal is offline Junior Member

Low Carb Tortillas

Primal Fuel
    Greetings,
    I have been following the 80/20 rule for some time now and extremely happy with the results in energy, physical "appearance" and lifestyle changes. I do like to wrap my veggies in low carb tortillas that have 18 carbs and 12 grams of fiber. Does the fiber offset the carbs as touted by the "experts(ahem)?" I try not to make hard and fast rules for myself and go with my gut and feelings of well being and wellness however, everytime I make and enjoy a wrap I feel conflicted.
    Thank you for any feedback.
    Be well ~ Enjoy the Moments,
    Doreen

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Although low-carb, the tortillas will be made from grain (wheat or corn, probably). Grains are not just bad because they are high-carb--they are full of gluten and other anti-nutrients that will wreak havoc on your body. The Definitive Guide to Grains | Mark's Daily Apple

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Ugh, read the ingredients. First off, I can almost guarantee they're made of wheat, which is awful. Second, I bet an ingredient will be "cellulose". If so, that's wood. Yes, the "fiber" is actually legitimate wood chips added to the tortilla. Do you know many traditional human diets full of wood? I'm guessing not.

No thanks, I'll pass on those low-carb tortillas. I'd rather eat a normal wheat flour tortilla than wood. I have whole corn and brown rice tortillas at home, where the only ingredients are "corn, water and lime" and "brown rice and water", respectively. If you must have a tortilla, go with these. Who cares if it's higher carb at this point? At least you're eating actual food. Corn tortillas aren't particularly unhealthy if the only ingredients are masa harina and water. At this point, it's just starch, and corn isn't any higher in anti-nutrients than coconut is. The only issue is the carb count, which I often embrace.

Or you could look up recipes for coconut flour tortillas. Tropical Traditions has one on their site, as well as some posted here on this forum if you do a search.

Cliffnotes: High-carb real food is much better than low-carb fake food. There is a lot more to nutrition than carbohydrate count.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-02-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like FrankenFood. Avoid it.

If you have an authentic Latin market around you, get some tortillas made with old-school masa.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I agree on the general frankenfood==avoid concept here. Whole foods are ideal. Personally, I wouldn't make any processed food part of my daily diet let alone grain products. Some people who are very active do well with some rice, which is pretty innocuous starch, or tubers. The low-carb tortillas I've seen have wheat, soy, and wood fiber (as choco pointed out). You may be doing fine on your carb level for weight loss but those are not health-promoting foods. You may not react to them the ways some people do, especially those with autoimmune conditions, but they put you on that road.

Am I saying you must never, ever eat them again even as a treat? No. This isn't a religion. But I will say that if I was going to deviate from good eating with a grain food, it wouldn't be a tortilla. I'd find something a lot more delicious! There are other things to wrap veggies in: lettuce, cabbage, bacon, primal crepes (I've seen some over on the recipes board). Or you could just drown your sorrows in grass-fed butter!

As for the net carbs thing, Mark counts total carbs in his dietary recommendations. Depending on the fiber sources being used, varying amounts of carbs are processed by the body.

crogagnon is offline Member
    I've found that when people start "wrapping" their food in bread substitutes, it's all downhill from there. More and more of the calories come from the "wrapping" and less and less come from the content (meat and vegetables).

You meals should look like this:

90% of my meals are built with these 4 easy steps:
    1) pick an animal protein (meat, fish, eggs)
    2) find some vegetables that go well with it
    3) cook it in fat (lard, coconut oil, butter)
    4) add some spices and herbs

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Not that you asked, but try using nori instead of a tortilla if you want to have a wrap.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    Not that you asked, but try using nori instead of a tortilla if you want to have a wrap.
    I was just going to post this very thing. Mash a ripe avocado on the nori then roll with any combo you want, meats, cheeses, veggies. Good idea for lunch.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

No thanks, I'll pass on those low-carb tortillas. I'd rather eat a normal wheat flour tortilla than wood. I have whole corn and brown rice tortillas at home, where the only ingredients are "corn, water and lime" and "brown rice and water", respectively. If you must have a tortilla, go with these. Who cares if it's higher carb at this point? At least you're eating actual food. Corn tortillas aren't particularly unhealthy if the only ingredients are masa harina and water. At this point, it's just starch, and corn isn't any higher in anti-nutrients than coconut is. The only issue is the carb count, which I often embrace.

Cliffnotes: High-carb real food is much better than low-carb fake food. There is a lot more to nutrition than carbohydrate count.
    Absolutely. If I do indulge then it's in organic corn tortillas, just corn and water and salt.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    80/20 rule is great, but... you'd be better off eating a natural tortilla made out of natural corn (not primal), rather than this man-made science lab stuff (way, way not primal). and i don't trust their nutrition info at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast