Thread: Sleep patterns page

dianejaquay is offline Member

Sleep patterns

Primal Fuel
    I'm hoping that someone can shed some light as to what's going on with my sleep pattern since I've started eating Primal. I started on Oct. 7th, and even with a really bad long vacation weekend in there where I messed up I'm down 11 1/2 pounds and feeling great. The only thing that's confusing me is the way I've been sleeping. I have to get up at 7:00 AM to get my daughter ready for school, and she's out of the house by 7:45. Many mornings I feel a strong urge to go back to bed, like I wasn't ready to be up yet. On the mornings I give into this I always end up sleeping until around 10:00 AM. I wake up feeling very refreshed and ready to start my day. On the days where I stay up from 7:00 AM on I feel "OK", but not as great as when I sleep more. As for the evenings, when I go to bed at 10:00 PM, which I feel is about the time I should go to bed to get up feeling good at 7:00, I lie in bed awake, feeling restless, and not tired, and usually not falling asleep until around midnight. I then sleep very soundly, even if I get up during the night to pee, I'm able to fall back to sleep quickly. Even on the mornings when I stayed up from 7:00 AM on I cannot fall asleep easily at 10:00. It feels like my body is saying "I wanna sleep from midnight until 9 or 10 the next morning, don't mess with me!" I know that might sound crazy but that's how it feels.

Other facts that might help, I don't get a lot of physical activity at this point because I'm dealing with severe osteoarthritis and it keeps me from doing all I'd like to be doing. I do try to at least take 1 walk per day, or ride my recumbent bike for a half hour or so, even when it's painful to do that.

I do take magnesium, but I've been taking it in the AM with all my other pills (I take "Western Family Natural Magnesium" 250mg tablet). I don't even really know if that's the best form of magnesium to be taking, but I've read on here so often that it's good to take some magnesium when you start eating this way, so I am. I also take Cymbalta and Welbutrin for depression (cut back to half the dose of Cymbalta since I started primal because I feel so much better). Next time I see my doctor (next week), I'm going to ask him if I can try stopping either the Cymbalta or the Welbutrin altogether and see if I'm still feeling good without it. I also take Vitamin C, Vitamin D (2,000IU), Calcium (600mg, blood tests showed my calcium was low), and Levoxyl (I had Graves disease 20 years ago and had my thyroid irradiated so I will always have to take thyroid meds).

I guess what I'm asking, am I getting too much sleep at 9 to 10 hours? Or is it possible that my body is in the process of healing because of the changes I've made in my diet, and it needs that sleep? If that's the case why can't I fall asleep when I want to? I'd rather go to bed at 10:00 and wake up at 7:00 feeling refreshed, but I rarely do. My bedroom is plenty dark, so that's not the issue. I'm trying hard to "listen" to what my body wants, but I want that to be in healthy way, not like before I started eating primal and my body told me it wanted a Snickers bar and I listened to it I think my diet is pretty darned good for a beginner at this, I've been eating pastured eggs from the farm, along with meat from happy animals. I've been eating liver a few times a week (both calves liver and chicken livers), grass fed beef, veggies, and a bit of dairy (artisan cheese), and lots of healthy fats (organic coconut oil and milk, olive oil, Carson's cod liver oil). I do eat some nuts, and occasionally some extra dark chocolate, but I don't go overboard on those. Like I said, I'm feeling GREAT, just not understanding this sleep thing. Any advice?

Diane

CMHFFEMT is offline Member
    First I believe that Vitamin D and Magnesium compete for absorbtion so they shouldnt be taken at the same time. I cant remember where I read it but I remember thats why I started taking my magnesium at night instead of in the morning. Second I would assume that your body is healing. I have been hardcore Paleo for 12 weeks at this point and have had several distinct changes in my sleep patterns. First I didn't want to sleep more than 5 hours a night then two or three days of sleeping 9-10 hours. I then slept 7 hours pretty regurarly for a couple of weeks and then again several days of 9-10 hour night and then back to 7 hour nights. I noticed also that after each bout of long sleep I felt even better than the last time. I would say I have been hitting 7 hours on the nose now for probably better than 6 weeks. As to why this happened specificaly I dont know I assumed it was just my body healing. My guess is that you just need to give it some time and it will work itself out and take the naps if you need them and you can.

dianejaquay is offline Member
    I can certainly start taking the magnesium in the evening and see if that helps.

Any other thoughts?

Diane