Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moonablaze's 21 Day Total Body Transformation page

moonablaze is offline Senior Member

Moonablaze's 21 Day Total Body Transformation

Primal Fuel
    ok, I'm calling this day one. I didn't do a pantry purge because, well, my pantry is already pretty clean. I have a shelf of sensible indulgence ingredients (coconut flour, honey, sugar to feed the kombucha) that I won't be throwing out, but I may hang some newspaper or fabric to cover the stuff up while I get over my sugar addiction once and for all.

Restock preparation is a brief shopping list for trader joes and knowing that there's a farmers market at barnstall park tomorrow (though I'll probably just wait and go veggie wild on sunday)

Ways I can increase movement over the long term:
    1. take the stairs at work every time (I currently am lazy and wait for the elevator half the time, which isn't good for my productivity either)
    2. take a walk after work. If there's a line of cars blocking me from getting out of work, there is no reason I HAVE to be leaving at that moment, a 20-minute walk around the neighborhood would do me good. And if I'm not bringing home a ton of groceries, I can go around the block the long way for a little fresh air after I park the car.
    3. I can set a timer when I'm on the computer. 30 minutes then a 5 minute movement break. (this will also be a good habit as I start studying for the NBCOT
    4. Take a lap around the floor/building when I have to wait for something.

Today's movement endeavors:
    Well, they were kinda minimal, my legs and abs are both really sore from the insanity last night, and I ended up sleeping all evening (just a 30 minute nap :P I know better than to let myself try that). I did take a few laps at work today and actually spent very little of my day sitting.

Primal essentials:
    Flux was already enabled, I have workout clothes, I'm not gonna invest in a pullup bar just yet, kitchen basics are present. Ordered the yellow glasses off amazon for $7 (I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot, but hey, I live alone and I can use any bonus to sleep that doesn't take my computer away)

Summary:
    Energy levels:3 (but I was running on a serious sleep deficit)
    Hunger level between meals: 1 (I wasn't even hungry for dinner despite only having crustless quiche for breakfast and lunch!)
    Satisfaction level with meals: 6 (kinda boring but I was full enough to have little difficulty passing on chocolate at the lunch table)
    Struggles today: just that chocolate but day one is always easy.
    Benefits noticed from primal efforts: if I eat enough eggs and bacon I won't get hungry.
    Daily Highlights: starting is easy when you've started before.
    Daily needs-to-improve: sleep cycle back on track so I can wake up rested and get shit done!
    Last edited by moonablaze; 11-02-2011 at 12:17 AM.

primal-dan is offline Member
    Good luck. Look forward to seeing more updates.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Moonablaze. Good luck on your first 21 days!

Day two.

Didn't end up doing my shopping spree, so I can't really comment on that. (bad bad bad) gonna try and get the stuff from TJs tomorrow after work.

Moderate duration workout
    I did go for about a 15 minute walk after I spent far too much time in the car to buy a cellphone case and drop off my rent check. It was easy and kinda calming as I listened to mark's interview on latest in paleo. I can do better and will aim for a minimum of 25 min on the next moderate duration workout.

Calm relaxing evening:
    wasn't much different from a regular evening except I skipped doing chores (I'll deal with the dishes in the morning). yellow glasses haven't arrived yet but I'm gonna switch off the tv and laptop when I finish writing this and read a book. probably won't get to bed much earlier than usual, but I am planning to start using the sleep cycle app to wake me up more easily and give me time to sit and have a cup of tea

Summary:
    Energy levels: 8
    Hunger level between meals: 6 (I didn't eat enough breakfast so I had to grab the cheese stick from my lunch at 11)
    Satisfaction level with meals: 6
    Struggles today: I woke up with shin splints that lasted most of the day, made it hard to do the walking. I did give in to 3 corn chips at lunch but I stopped at 3 and logged all my food today, only a total of 33 carbs.
    Benefits noticed from primal efforts: I don't know.
    Daily Highlights: stopped at 3 chips. better than nothing.
    Daily needs-to-improve: eat zero chips.

I have entered low carb flu. sucks.

Dinner planning: going to make the tenderloin from my cowshare, with fresh pumpkin gratin and kale chips. I haven't invited anyone yet but I mentioned it to my sister and her boyfriend last weekend and we'll talk about it tomorrow when we have dinner with mom.

Boycott Industrialized Food: Easy peasy, I usually only have industrialized food a couple times a month. Usually lettuce wrapped in-n-out burger or wendys. I can live without them for 21 days easily.

PME workout
    knee pushups: 20
    squats: 45 (almost to the point of moving up!)
    forearm/knee plank: 1 minute
    pullups (no bar. I have not done a chinup in my life, let alone a pullup. I'll start working on it when I have a little less of me to lift)

Play: this was my miss today. my only play today was the same play I get nearly every day, I played catch with one of my patients (with a beach ball). I'm gonna try to go skating at a roller rink this weekend as my "grand play outing". I'm still way too embarrassed to run around a park alone, and I don't really have anyone to go do other play activities with at the moment. I'm also one of the most uncoordinated people on the planet, so team/ competitive sports are pretty much out.

Summary:
    Energy levels: 4
    Hunger level between meals: 7 (I had a thinkthin bar for lunch cause I forgot the one I packed, so that was not the best)
    Satisfaction level with meals: 5
    Struggles today: aforementioned forgotten lunch and not really playing
    Benefits noticed from primal efforts: low-carb flu is not really a benefit, but if I can stick with it...
    Daily Highlights: despite the forgotten lunch, I managed to get through the day without eating anything I really shouldn't (thinkthin is a mediocre choice but much better than tacos or a candy bar)
    Daily needs-to-improve: don't forget lunch!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Great progress, Moonablaze. Embrace the low-carb flu! Just like the welcome discomfort of exercise, it is proof that profound changes are afoot. Hope you get lots good fats and find yourself on the other side soon.

Thanks so much for the for the support.

Due to pre-existing plans I swapped days 4 and 5. honoring hunger just isn't compatible with a workday right now and I had pre-existing plans to go out with my mother, sister and their boyfriends tonight(I'm the single one at the moment). Also, my goofy yellow glasses came tonight and I'm currently trying them out. I think my eyes are having a little trouble adjusting as I feel like I've been straining to see.

Modern foraging:
    This was really easy for me this time, I got to pick the restaurant and I picked a brazilian steak house. What could be more primal than a salad bar (with lots of my preferred roasted veggies and less of the uncooked lettuce I dislike) and then all-you-can-eat meat? I tried a couple bites of mashed and fried yucca but stopped there and a couple slices of roasted pineapple. I'm sure they used some nasty oils so I took some extra omega 3 today.

Couch potato rebellion:
    Except for dinner I didn't spend more than 45 minutes sitting still today. My workday is pretty active (I move slowly a TON) and I stopped for gas halfway to dinner (in traffic, the ride back was faster) and did a few laps around the car while I was parked.

PEM workout: either these glasses are working really well or the carb flu is getting me good. I'm too pooped to even try. I will however try to do BOTH today and tomorrow's workouts tomorrow. we'll see if that happens. :/

Summary:
    Energy levels: 4
    Hunger level between meals: 3 (nothing suppresses hunger like nice fatty meals)
    Satisfaction level with meals: 7
    Struggles today: Resisting more of the yucca or some of the little gluten-free cheese breads or some fried bananas at dinner. but I did it.
    Benefits noticed from primal efforts: getting by dispite the low carb flu
    Daily Highlights: everybody loved the avocado chocolate pudding I brought in, even the lady who said "it would be really good with some sugar" lol.
    Daily needs-to-improve: not letting the bastards grind me down. particularly the ones who mean well but are misguided. that's not exactly a primal issue but it is something I need to work on.
    Last edited by moonablaze; 11-04-2011 at 11:40 PM.

ok, late entry for saturday, day 5, which was swapped with the challenges for day 4:

honor hunger:
    This went great, I ate a big meal at noon, a snack around 3, a light dinner at 6 and a few bites of pilaf and a glass of wine and a cup of juice at a party around 9. It helped that I had a HUGE dinner friday night (brazilian steakhouse, keep the meat coming) and then a sizable lunch (korean bbq, MORE ayce meat!) and the pilaf was the only food at the party that was gluten free (other than the broccoli slaw with homemade mayo that I brought).

Aerobic adventure:
    this didn't really happen. I went for a couple walks of about a mile each, but that's not exactly an adventure.

Stand up workstation:
    this doesn't really apply to me, I only spend about an hour a day at a desk at work. I do spend a good chunk of time on the couch on my laptop and watching tv, but I'm trying to continue implementing movement breaks.

Summary:
    Energy levels: 5
    Hunger level between meals: 1
    Satisfaction level with meals: 8
    Struggles today: stopping at one spoonful of pilaf (which I probably should have skipped altogether)
    Benefits noticed from primal efforts: getting to sleep way easier
    Daily Highlights: walking to lunch with a friend
    Daily needs-to-improve: more play.
    Last edited by moonablaze; 11-06-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Day 6.

Once again, the best laid plans of mice and men... my celebration dinner ended up being me eating on the couch watching sleepless in seattle. I didn't feel like that merited the tenderloin, so I just had eggs and kale chips and mashed cauliflower (I got a MONSTER 6 pound head of cauliflower at the farmers market today). I'm also going to have to put off the listening challenge. I'm gonna work on gathering information and the shifting of attention in groups over the next week at work. I do a lot of listening at work but also a lot of redirecting attention back to myself (have to get my patients to do what I say, rather than just telling me fabulous stories). and the rain made a joke of my plans to go for a long walk before the farmers market. I did the PEM workout from friday instead.

So, today was a mess challenge-wise, though I stuck to the eating plan really well and everything I ate was on the program. I also discovered that throat coat tea is great for my low carb flu. twice a day and it's no problem except the sluggishness.

tomorrow will be better. I LOVE going barefoot, I have plenty of label-free food from the farmers market in the fridge, and sprinting... well I'm gonna get out my kettle-bell, blast some energizing music and swing.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 7. one week down.

No labels challenge:
    Hardest part: realizing that I don't have any fat that isn't labeled. I went ahead and used the kerrygold, I know that Organic Pastures would provide a LOCAL organic grassfed butter, but at twice the cost I have to pass.
    Best part: focusing on the fabulous eggs and produce I got at the farmers market, with beef from my 1/8 cowshare.

Sprint workout:
    Success score: 5
    Location: living room Activity: kettlebell swings Total duration :10 minutes (including warmup)
    Comments: kettlebell swings probably really get me to 90% of maximum effort, barely 80% at the end of each 20-swing interval. I'm gonna try to get up my courage to go out somewhere and run next time.

Tiptoe into the barefoot world
    this wasn't much of a challenge for me. the first thing I do when I get home is kick off my shoes and putting on shoes is the last thing I do before leaving the house. I even bought a pair of paperfeet last year and wore them to class a couple times as part of an assignment to try something new. I did what I always do, including doing my kettlebell swings barefoot. I did also get on the scale at the doctor's office barefoot. No weightloss yet, but it has only been a week.

Summary:
    Energy levels: 7
    Hunger level between meals: 3
    Satisfaction level with meals: 8
    Struggles today: not buying myself a "treat" after I got my flu shot and blood draw. but I did it.
    Benefits noticed from primal efforts: didn't feel tired at any point during my work day.
    Daily Highlights: complemented on how healthy I eat.
    Daily needs-to-improve: get over the damn baklava. staring at them is not going to make them gluten free or let alone on this challenge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast