Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm a believer page

ljq309 is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb I'm a believer

Shop Now
    Hi there

I'll start by admitting that I'm somewhat embarrassed to 'say out loud' that I believe in this Primal lifestyle. Why? Because 4 1/2 years ago I lost 19kgs using Weight Watchers and I have kept it off. And because I have suggested many, many times on a couple of weight loss forums I use that people should just forget about low carb and eat as is recommended... the dreaded CW.

So, why am I here? Because it's getting harder instead of easier, this battle with the weight that I have lost, and I just don't feel like I am as healthy as I should be. I have read countless studies, ordered books, scanned web sites, watched YouTube, and joined Facebook pages... hours of time in the last 4 weeks or so and I have convinced myself that this is what I need to do.

I have started to eat differently and started to feed the family a bit differently. It's not too hard for me, I'm not a big carb eater anyway, around 150g per day, but I'm aiming to be around 100 on average within the next couple of weeks. The family are a bit trickier, being big bread/pasta/rice/cake/biscuit/slice/dessert etc eaters. I don't think they have noticed yet that they are being slowly weaned, although the 16 year old did mention that he'd noticed I was trying some new recipes...

I am waiting on my books... but so far so good. I know for sure that I am sleeping a whole lot better and that alone would make this worthwhile. I have more energy, I am not hungry, I think my skin looks better... but I may be imagining that.

So here I am, I will try and remember to come back with a progress report every day or so, and I will post random, probably unhelpful, comments all over the forums as well.

PS. Some Aussies are a bit fussy, we eat biscuits, biscuits are cookies, but we don't call them cookies... just so you know.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with it.

If you're having to make compromises with the family remember white rice, potatoes and sweet potatoes are considered "safe" starches by many (though I'm happy without them myself).

Morning all

I started by changing (a little) my breakfasts so here is the before and after. This is not a huge change, and it sure isn't a steak, but it's eliminating an average of around 10g of carbs a day and some wheat.

Before: mostly either oats, milk and fruit OR Weetbix, yogurt or milk and bran OR muesli and yogurt

After: mostly either yogurt, blueberries and flax seeds OR yogurt, an apple and almonds OR muesli and yogurt.

The muesli is either one with oats, lots of seeds and nuts and dried fruit, or the other has barley with lots of seeds and a few nuts, they have no added sugar and are DEVINE. The yogurt is unsweetened greek. I've always had the occasional egg and bacon breakfast on the weekend, now I can just feel somewhat smug about it, and have it without toast.

Thanks for your comment brachiate, I am definitely keeping potatoes and rice, just small amounts and occasionally.

Lunches are a meal that I have at home, usually alone, so I have complete control, here is where I can really do some grainy carb elimination. At the moment I have quite a few pre-primal lunches (leftover dinners) in the freezer which I am working my way through, alternating with less carby ones. So this will be a gradual phase-in/out... so far so good.

Today I am making a salad, sort of similar to a caesar but not with strictly caesar ingredients, with no croutons of course, and with two perfectly poached eggs on top. Can't wait!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    So.

You saw her face?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    So.

You saw her face?
    LOL.

ljq, jump in, the water's fine! The PB is a fantastic way to eat for health and happiness.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

HIS face perhaps

Dinners

While in theory I have total control over dinner 5 nights out of 7, 1 the OH cooks and 1 the boys cook, I do try and keep everyone happy to some extent. Luckily I am feeding 3 males, ages 14, 16 and 50, so getting them to eat meat is NOT going to be an issue. We have been avoiding fat so that will change a bit, we do tend to eat pasta, rice, potato or bread with nearly all evening meals so that will gradually change too. I will do this silently for a while and see if they notice...

Last night was easy, lamb chops, yummy yummy lamb chops from Aussie Farmers Direct. To be honest I don’t know if they are grass fed, but most meat you buy in Australia from a half way decent supplier will be grass fed. And I grew up on a sheep farm after all, grass fed sheepies. So, eldest son was out, I had chops, carrots and cauliflower cheese. Oh god I love cauliflower cheese, the full fat version this time. I also made mashed potato for the men so the youngest had mash and carrots with his chops, the OH had everything... naturally.

Saturday
    Let the truth begin!

B: 200g low fat (yeah, yeah, I’m getting to the end of the current supply) Greek yogurt, 100g blueberries, 20g flax seed
    MT: Small pkt Red Rock Deli chips. Maybe you poor souls in the US don’t have these? You poor, poor things! Anyway, as the 4 new tyres + wheel balance and alignment were $1001 I felt the need for something baaaad. I don’t normally do MT.
    L: Leftover cauliflower cheese and mashed potato with yummy primal beef casserole I made last week.
    D: One chicken kebab, one beef kebab, one small sausage, salad. Note: Saturday night the OH cooks so I eats what I am given. I did not eat any bread rolls, the three of them ate 9 between them and argued with me the whole time about how ‘we’ have eaten bread for thousands of years blah, blah, blah. Well, I must admit the 16 year old listens and thinks, the other two just eat... yeah the fat one and the one with multiple allergies and asthma. Oh yeah, three small glasses of bubbles... sparkling white, you know... the stuff we used to be able to call champagne until the French realised that ours was better than theirs.

Other: maybe 5 herbal teas, 8 glasses of water and 2 ‘light’ hot chocolates (weaning myself off these is proving more difficult than I imagined).
    I’m not recording my food intake anywhere, I’m so over that palaver, but I estimate that this is probably pretty close to a 100g carb day.

Today will be bad, we have people coming for lunch and there will be some ‘old favourite’ desserts, they will include ridiculous amounts of sugar and actually pretty... well not tooooo bad amounts of that nasty white wheat flour. But in my defence I can primal-ify nibbles and main meal pretty well.

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    Hahaha I love that you call your kid (or husband?) the fat one! best of luck on your journey!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast