Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: I'm a believer page 16

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Today in my kitchen: I have sourdough bread nearly ready to go into the oven, and starter brewing on the counter as well for tomorrow's loaf. I have brew three of kombucha going, brew x of water kefir also going, this one flavoured with orange and ginger. I have 2 jars of preserved lemon ahhh culturing, which I started yesterday, I love preserved lemon, especially in Syrian Chicken, but it's stupidly expensive so when I spied a recipe in Nourishing Traditions I had to try it out. I have made a batch of honey soy drumsticks to freeze for the kids school lunches. I have sliced the beef and added the marinade for the jerky I will be making tomorrow, also for school lunches. I have beef marrow bones defrosting in the fridge for a big batch of stock/broth tomorrow and into Monday.

I used to hate cooking, had no confidence, no imagination... no idea really. Now I love doing all this cooking and culturing. Only trouble is I never seem to have enough of the right sized jars and the fridge is always full.

For Mothers Day (next Sunday in Australia) we are going to take a picnic to mum's and, if it's a nice day, go to the park and laze around in the sun drinking champagne. Going to make some yummy things, and because it's Mothers Day I only have to please mum and myself... pate, hummus, terrine, salads, choccies, macadamia brittle. Mmmmmm.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Ellement is offline Member
    You're such an inspiration Lisa! Thanks to you I am now the proud owner of Nourishing Traditions which arrived in the mail yesterday. What an amazing book, I don't think I quite realised just how much information was in it, have spent hours poring over it already. The first thing I'm trying is the beef stock. Went to the butchers this morning and got my beef bones, the stock is now simmering happily away on the stove.

I have a couple of questions about kombucha and kefir, where did you source your starters from? Did you buy them locally or is there an online store you could recommend? I suspect I'm going to have trouble finding these things in Alice Springs, though I haven't actually checked out the local health/organic food store yet.
    Right here Right now

An Aussie girl goes Primal

I'm glad you're enjoying Nourishing Traditions... I don't think it's really everyone's 'thing', it's so inspiring though (just needs some glossy photos). Mine is full of sticky notes on things I want to try.

I bought my kefir and kombucha bits and pieces on eBay (as you do...) from a man in Qld (he's 7062Paul), he sent them express post and they arrived the next day. Oh actually I bought the milk kefir grains first and I'm pretty sure they came over a weekend and were still fine, the water kefir grains and the kombucha mushroom thingy came overnight. He sent instructions too. I told the family that the water kefir is a bit like that old fashioned ginger beer that we made... once, long, long ago, and the kombucha is just like iced tea... they're drinking them. The 16 year old likes to mix the water kefir and kombucha together, and if we have soft drink he mixes that in too. Not sure that's strictly... well anything healthy really.

Ellement is offline Member
    Yes, probably not everyone's thing...I guess it's not strictly "primal" ...but I still think the basic message is the same.

Thanks for all the info regarding the kefir and kombucha. Will try and track down the eBay seller you mentioned. I'll probably start with the kombucha. The idea of it intrigues me, I love iced tea so I imagine I'm going to love it too. Have no idea where I'm going to store everything in the fridge. Recently bought, what seemed at the time, a huge fridge but now that 90% of the food in the house is fresh and needs to be refridgerated it doesn't seem nearly big enough at all!
    Right here Right now

An Aussie girl goes Primal

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Lisa, your cooking, baking and preserving skills put me to shame. I have never really experimented, just find recipes I like and follow them.
    I looked at the Ebay site and we go through that suburb every fortnight on our way to Brisbane. How much sugar do you put in the water keffir? NT only mentions milk keffir.
    How did the ginger carrots turn out? We also want to try the raisin chutney. It might go quite nicely with some cold meat.

Ellement I know what you mean about the fridge. We have the biggest single door fridge available but it is still not enough.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Marg in my water kefir I'm putting 1-1 1/2 tablespoons sugar to 3-4 cups water (pretty rough measuring, I think the instructions say 1 1/2 to 4 cups...) with some orange or lemon and sometimes some dried fruit, sometimes ginger... I'm experimenting but it seems to me it always comes out tasting the same. The kombucha has much more sugar. I love my milk kefir the best but I'm working on the men with the others.

I haven't actually tried the carrots yet, I suppose I should... I tried the second sauerkraut the other day and it needs a good bit longer in the fridge before eating so I left everything else. Had a bit of a fail with one of my jars of preserved lemon - it went mouldy, lemons would be the last thing I would expect to go mouldy, so I am watching everything else very closely now.

If anyone is into terrines this one is delish and, BONUS, looks just like the picture. Mother had better be impressed!

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljq309 View Post
    I love Nourishing traditions, I have so many recipes tagged to try, lot's of fermented veg and soaked grains and nuts. I'm pretty sure I'm driving everyone crazy with my jars and bottles full of mysterious things. Another REALLY great book is Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas.

I have another 'ancient' cookbook with a recipe for baklava that is made with ghee. I had never made it with ghee until last year, BEST BAKLAVA EVER.
    You wouldn't happen to be able to share this recipe?

From the Australian Women's Weekly Mediterranean Cookbook (1991)

Baklava

18 sheets filo
    125g butter
    125g ghee
    1 tablespoon water

Nut Mix:
    1 1/2 cups (240g) blanched almonds, toasted, ground
    1 1/2 cups (150g) walnuts, ground
    1 tablespoon caster sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon mixed spice

Syrup:
    2 cups caster sugar
    1 cup water
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cloves 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Grease a deep 19cm square cake pan.

Cut pastry roughly to the size of the pan. Layer 3 pastry sheets together with combined butter and ghee brushed on each layer; trim to fit into pan. Sprinkle with 1/5 of the nut mixture. Continue layering with remaining buttered pastry and nut mixture, ending with pastry. Use a sharp knife to cut pat way through the layered pastry. Sprinkle baklava with water. Bake in a moderate oven 30 mins, reduce heat to slow, bake a further 10 minutes or until well browned. Pour hot syrup over hot baklava; cool in pan.

Nut Mix: Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.

Syrup: Combine all ingredients in pan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil; boil, uncovered without stirring, about 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard spices.

Note: I've made this with lots less sugar and with dextrose powder instead of sugar, both successfully, and both well and truly sweet enough... yes even for the teenagers.
    Last edited by ljq309; 05-13-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Still here. Just a bit tired of the same old same old nature of forums. Some questions just make me want to SCREAM. Oh and answers too. And if I see one more Pickl-It (however you spell the stupid thing) post on FB I'm going to... well actually I'm most likely not going to see any as I've unliked them ALL.

Anyway, I have a book recommendation. I'm only 100 pages in (out of 400 odd) but this book is making me utter those unimaginative words 'OH MY GOD' over and over. It's 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' by Michael Pollan, yep I know he's written a few but this one is the only one I can get as a e-book from the library so it's the one I have...

And so I have to work out how to find out how much of this madness is happening in Australia. I grew up on a farm (Pollan's quaint term the 'mixed farm'), the steers were fattened up on the oats (growing in the paddock, shock, horror), sold at auction, slaughtered, butchered and then sold as (proper) meat. I wonder how much has changed in hmmmmm 30ish years?

Well, three months eh.

I'm still doing my thing but not talking at MDA anymore. Talking here: https://www.facebook.com/Healthierjane

If you're not on Facebook you can still see my blog.

That's all
    Last edited by ljq309; 08-18-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast