Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm a believer page 11

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm good Marg. I'm glad you enjoyed my links. I trawl through a whole lot of stuff via Facebook each morning, all sorts of things, some downright crazy but all interesting. I just get too annoyed with so many things on CK and it's just easier to just stay away. I thought I might struggle a bit but I have let it go.

My copy of Primal Body Primal Mind (Nora Gedgaudas) arrived a couple of days ago (Fishpond may be cheap but boy it's slow) so I am looking forward to reading that over the weekend.

I've started making milk kefir, I was laughing at my fridge contents last night, I have all these little jars of things that I would not have dreamed of making a short while ago - kefir, sauerkraut, home made mayo, salad dressing and tomato sauce...

Lucky you having family in NZ, I wonder if they have better access to grass fed and organic type food than we do?
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Let us know what you think of the book. I thought it looked interesting and put it next on my list. We allow ourselves a few $ each that we use for impulse/wants spending and most of mine goes on books.

DH made his first batch of sauerkraut about 3.5 weeks ago and eats it every day. It is a bit salty/sour? for me still, but I have a little bit. Have also made the tomato sauce a couple of times and like that. It keeps well in the fridge too. What does the keffir taste like? I actually bought keffir grains a couple of weeks ago but haven't done anything with them yet.

My sister in NZ can get nitrate free bacon. Lucky thing. I've found a local (15km away) butcher that does free range pork from his own farm. He showed me the bag of preservative used in curing bacon and the nitrate content is less than 0.01%. I'm not sure how much is considered harmful but that amount does not sound like a lot.
    Don't know if you have this recipe for cracker biscuits but it is very simple. Tried them out on our family visitors who thought they were good enough to take the recipe home.

1 cup almond flour
    1 egg white
    1 pinch salt
    Mix all together, roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper, mark into shapes with a knife and cook at 160C for 15 minutes, removing the cooked ones then leaving the rest in for a bit longer. I added fresh chopped rosemary for a nice flavour.

Our trip to NZ will be a bit sad for part of it. Our DIL in Christchurch rang 2 days ago to say she has been diagnosed with motor neuron disease. There is no cure and there are only a very few people who survive past 5 years. She has been having tests for over 2 years now so is understandably very upset about the prognosis.

We are supposed to be getting a lot of rain and wild weather tonight and tomorrow morning so must go and check my new baby chickens before I go to bed.
    Last edited by kahiba; 02-24-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: addition
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

I only have a little bit of sauerkraut too, 2 jars have lasted a LONG while, I can remember my MIL making it (German heritage) and me thinking she was completely insane. My kefir is a bit like a milder runnier version of yogurt (compared to my easiyo greek), the consistency of thickened cream I guess, but slightly sour tasting, I believe the taste gets stronger the longer you leave it 'brewing', like yogurt I suppose. I've just had some with toasted almond and coconut flakes for breakfast. I remember waaay back in 1993 when the OH and I were in Turkey they gave us kefir to drink to help our delicate stomachs cope with the 'alien' bacteria in their water. This was at the end of the trip, 3 months previously we had started the trip in Egypt and our stomachs had already suffered everything they were ever likely to have to suffer. But we did not get sick in Turkey... That was the only time prior to primal that I have heard of it.

I'm sorry to hear about your DIL, my FIL died of MND, before my time though, he was in his 50s. You don't hear of it much...

We've been to Sydney for 24 hours so the eldest could go to Soundwave. The things we do. All still tired, the rest of us went to the NSW Art Gallery to see the Picasso exhibition. Have walked and walked... and walked. I have sore legs and blisters, LOL.

Also spied my first post primal menu declaring 'all our beef is grain fed for a least 120 days to maximise taste and tenderness'. Meh! I had a chicken salad, in fact I have indoctrinated everyone so well that the OH and the youngest declared they would not have a grain fed steak. So what did they have? The OH had veal, I don't know maybe he thinks it's chicken, the youngest had a pizza... LOL, LOL, LOL.

I am REALLY enjoying the Paleo Summit. This one is full of great information.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    DH and I have both been watching and enjoying the summit as well. Very interesting to hear the differing points of view. Have you read Primal Body-Primal Mind yet Lisa? DH wants me to order it. We found Nora's talk quite interesting so may just get it anyway. Liked Matt Lalonde's scientific perspective, also tonight listened to Chris Kresser talking about cholesterol and how the tests for VLDL vary so much. Also numbers apparently do matter contrary to what a number of people on here believe. Looking forward to the rest of the talks.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

I'm loving all the talks, so time consuming though... I'm about half way through Primal Body Primal Mind, been waaay too busy this week. I would highly recommend it, mostly because she just covers so much information (bit like her summit talk, SO much information, Sean didn't get a word in until right at the end). Maybe I just find that she is going a bit deeper into the things that I am interested in. I had a little chuckle at Mat Lalonde's 'diet', didn't sound like much food to me.

We have a 'fill in' yoga teacher ATM and she was talking about having done a Buteyko breathing course (sounds interesting actually) and how the teacher, who is also a nutritionist, had all these strange ideas about nutrition. Being yoga I thought 'oh no, here we go...' and imagined vegetarian, whole grains etc. No, she advocates eating read meat, organic, with the fat, full cream organic dairy, no seeds, no carbs. Fancy that! But the best part is that one of the other women in the class describes herself as a 'diabetes educator' and she said she totally agrees. She said she is not allowed to suggest that patients eat this way but occasionally when she has a patient who she feels is open to the suggestion (and perhaps not likely to cause problems), she suggests they ditch the carbs and they always thrive. Another class member is a nurse and she said that yes, they realise that what they are telling diabetics to eat is wrong, but that's what they have to do. Gosh, how frustrated must they be?

OK, off to finish listening to my favourite 'stirrer', Denise Minger.

AHA. According to Nora Gedgaudas in Primal Body Primal Mind the body converts excess protein to sugar. The more sugar dependent your body is, the more readily it converts other things, like protein, to sugar. It is easier to convert protein than fat to sugar. This is a problem on several levels. This is important! I love this book!

This last week I have been eating super well. After reading Primal Body, Primal Mind I gave myself another good talking to and now I ask myself 'What would Nora do?'. Nora clearly would not eat 3 muffins she'd cooked for the kids, or eat that half (big) bag of dries dates in the cupboard, nor would she have any of that low fat hot chocolate concoction. So neither would Lisa.

Clearly Nora has way more impact on my life than Grok. What would Grok do? Who cares??? Maybe it's because Grok has never 'liked' my Facebook posts...

Onwards.

Not happy Jan! I guess only Australians will understand that...

So for 5 years I have been walking, for 4 1/2 years I have been doing other exercise too - squats, pushups and the like, for 1 year I have been doing yoga. Last week I decided to add a few gentle sprints (yeah, I don't think those words go together either). Yesterday I was nearly home from my regular 6.6 km walk and had included 7 little sprints, 'sprints' perhaps. I decided on one more. I noticed a little pain in my heal. My heal made a cracking sound. I stopped running and limped home. I limped all day yesterday, I'm still limping... although it does feel better. I have never liked running, ever, I have always been happy walking, why did I listen to Grok??? What would Grok know? STOOOOPID Grok! STOOOOPID Lisa!!!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast