Thread: The Start of Something Great Journal page

OefGROK is offline Junior Member

The Start of Something Great Journal

Primal Fuel
    Starting off on how I stumbled upon The Primal Blueprint, I would have to say because of MOVNAT. Reading some of the articles on the website I came across The 21 day challenge book, and was interested. After reading reviews I decided to buy it and began reading right away. Having never really heard much about the Paleo diet, my eyes were opened and it began to spark that drive to exercise and become healthy again.
    Back story, After returning from Afganistan I enjoyed every bit of food, never having much fresh food over there for 15 months. After the enjoyment of gorging my self for a couple months, my lean muscular physique was slowly diminishing. Fighting PTSD and depression (which now I look back was probably magnified a bit by the horrible diet) I began to climb from 190 to 220 and staying there. Couple months past and here I am reading the book, 3 quarters of the way through now, I skipped ahead to the diet, and went out today to buy only Paleo approved food. Starting my diet today, November 1, 2011 I am at 220 Lbs 6' 1". It was very difficult to locate all grass fed meat, and to locate nothing but organic vegies for a reasonable cost. I am on a budget and am learning the ropes of how to shop paleo, which is something I could really use some helpful tips on. Going to check out farmers markets for veggies, but the locating of meat that is grass fed is going to take some research, as well as creating a shopping list before hand. That is a task in its self, which I am sure over time becomes easier. I am curious if anybody felt the same way? Having to completely shift our shopping habits. If anybody would like to share their lists I am sure there are others who would benefit from them as well.
    First goal for November is to stay completely primal for 21 days with occasional treats like coffee on weekends, and to run the Seattle half marathon on the 23 of November.
    Excited to join the Primal community!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the tribe!

Grass-fed, pastured, organic, free range are all wonderful. Go for them if you can. But you can do primal without any of them. Many here do so and do well.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

OefGROK is offline Junior Member
    So far it has been a week on the diet now, and the first couple of days were easy yet rough. Easy as in, was not to hungry, did not feel that gross dragging feeling you get from processed foods and too many carbs. Couple days in got the carbo flu, at least I think it was that. It has been an interesting week. My real turning point this week was on saturday when my fiance and I decided to go for a walk and I had a ton of energy, the type of energy I usually only got if I got my morning 2 shot americano! My brain was stimulated, my body had a ton of energy, and all I had that morning was breakfast of 4 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon and onions! Still feeling full after a very light snack of Fage, and handful of almonds. By the way Fage is ok on the diet right? Well that being the case, if this continues and I have this brain power and energy all the time, I am not looking back!! From what I have been reading it seems like it only gets better! still have the occasional cravings for some grains now and then, along with sweets, but 83% coco seems to subside that once a week.
    My diet this week has consisted of steak for dinner with asparagus, lunch would be a lettuce wrap with just steak or salmon, with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil. Breakfast has been eggs and bacon with some green bell peppers, and and onions. That has been the majority of my meals this week. Branching out to many more veggies and poultry and fish this next week, gonna have steak only 2 times next week. Water and green tea have been my beverages, with a glass of wine only on fri. evening, and a beer today.
    Slowly but surely I will have a good steady meal plan, and will be loving life!
    What are some of your thoughts on Costco's Alaskan salmon that they have? Is it good, just not great?
    Loving This Energy!!