Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slowly Falling Off - Advice Please page

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member

Slowly Falling Off - Advice Please

Shop Now
    So, I've been at college since mid-September. I went primal in mid-June and even though I had some unrelated medical problems that affected my energy, leading to an irregular workout schedule, I found the experience enjoyable. But since I've been on campus, I'm having some concerns. Mostly diet and exercise.

I'm not exercising nearly as much as I did over the past year: I'm able to find the time/energy to do 50-75% of an Insanity or P90X DVD 2-4 times a week. I get tired/bored before I get my heart rate up or break I sweat. I can't really change that. I'm fighting hypothyroidism and low T.

What I can change is my diet. Because I'm on the meal plan here at school, I'm limited by what I can eat. For breakfast I do a protein shake with some coconut oil. For lunch I go to the buffet and pig out on chicken breast, salad (mixed greens, tomato, mushrooms, eggs), bacon, scrambled eggs, and maybe an apple. For the first few weeks, I ate maybe two plates of that stuff and then went on my way. For dinner, I either got a small salad with chicken breast and avocado or half-a-can of salmon with olive oil.

Recently though, in order to save money on my meal plan and canned goods, I've been having a shake in the morning, absolutely over-eating at the buffet, and then skipping dinner. And I'm wondering if its healthy. I feel very full, almost sick after lunch, but I'm so hungry from a small breakfast/no dinner that I can't resist. Knowing that I really can't afford to get a big dinner later, and concerns about getting at least some carbs from veggies and sufficient protein leads me to gorge myself. This has been going on for a week now.

Today, for example, I had six plates. Two small (maybe 4 oz each) chicken breast, two big scoops of scrambled eggs, 4 plates of mixed greens with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and crumbled bacon (I probably had 3-4 cups of this bacon stuff. Way too much). And then I had an apple for dessert. The day before, I had 3 chicken breasts, 8-10 strips of bacon, and all that salad. Sometimes I add sesame seeds, boiled eggs, and sriracha to my salad. I think I'm overeating, which forces me to skip dinner, which then forces me to be hungrier the next day. I've also started drinking a cup of coffee at breakfast and after lunch. It is quickly becoming a habit.

I feel like I'm binge eating, almost. I stick to primal 95% (some chocolate and nuts here and there). I also feel bad because every two or three weeks I get tired of being antisocial and I go out and drink or smoke. That just initiates another round of guilt, purge, and binge again. Add in all the stress of school and lack of sleep (I get 6-7 hours a night), and I feel like I'm starting off my school year in a bad way.

I can't tell if my clothes are fitting differently (I don't think they are), and I promised myself I would go 3 months without looking at the scale (to avoid this worrying.) I know its a little crazy to expect fat loss when I'm not exercising as much, but I still expecting eating primally would do something for me. If you consider the fact that I only get carbs from a few tomato slices, mushrooms, mixed greens, onions, and an apple every other day, I should be in ketosis. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by CoS; 11-01-2011 at 06:52 PM.

CoS
    Failed to mention: I'm supplementing with fish oil, D3, multi-vitamin, and zinc.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    First, try to get to bed earlier-sleep is so important in terms of weight/hunger signals. Second, can't you have a bigger breakfast so you're not as hungry at lunch? If not, is there any way you could take some food (sneak in some tupperware) at lunch to have later for dinner?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Less lunch, but 2 tbs of CO with lunch? Magnesium 2 hours before bed for better and more restful sleep.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Tight on money? Drop the supplements. Use the money to buy real food instead so you can eat diner from time to time.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I remember when I was in college I would line the inside of my backpack with a garbage bag and literally sneak as much food into it as possible while I was in the cafeteria.

That might be a little more messy if you are paleo/primal... but it would probably still work.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

CoS
    I already have the supplements; can't resell them. And its not that I'm really tight on money, its that there isn't any food around here. Also, have a small fridge and a microwave; can't cook. My only breakfast options are buying a carton of eggs, but then my only reliable sources of protein at lunch are eggs and chicken, so I got tired of them for breakfast.

The bulk of my lunch is fat and protein anyway...I'm not sure how cutting it out and putting in more pure fat would help. Care to elaborate, Glamorama?

I may take a tupperware container next time. But then I can only fit a 4 oz chicken breast and maybe some veggies. Not really enough for dinner. I know the answer isn't to eat more fruit, but that is what is mostly available on the go (plus campus has a warped sense of what is healthy and doesn't offer any good sides.)

aion12 is offline Junior Member
    I'm also new to the game,The future Exchange

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoS View Post
    I already have the supplements; can't resell them. And its not that I'm really tight on money, its that there isn't any food around here. Also, have a small fridge and a microwave; can't cook. My only breakfast options are buying a carton of eggs, but then my only reliable sources of protein at lunch are eggs and chicken, so I got tired of them for breakfast.

The bulk of my lunch is fat and protein anyway...I'm not sure how cutting it out and putting in more pure fat would help. Care to elaborate, Glamorama?

I may take a tupperware container next time. But then I can only fit a 4 oz chicken breast and maybe some veggies. Not really enough for dinner. I know the answer isn't to eat more fruit, but that is what is mostly available on the go (plus campus has a warped sense of what is healthy and doesn't offer any good sides.)
    Well the bacon you have on offer doesn't sound like the best kind, it is a cured meat, so personally I wouldn't rely on it daily for my fats. I can't even eat bacon because it gives me a headache, but if I could I would have it sparsely. CO makes me feel full over a long period, without making me feel drowsy or over-stuffed. And my mood seems more stable when I have my meals with a bit of CO on the side. Nothing scientific, but that's how it works for me.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to do that much exercise. The key is intensity not quantity. If you are bored, stop.

Chicken breast and bacon are ok but not optimal. There has to be other meat there. Even if it isn't the greatest, eat some of it.

Going on a binge every 2 or 3 weeks is no big deal. Stop beating yourself up.

Search for "college" to see what others do.

Good luck!

A huge amount of salad can add up to plenty of carbs to not be in ketosis. Use FitDay or another program to track exactly what you are eating.

A few cups of coffee/day is fine.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast