Thread: Best Paleo explanation? page

mmsantos is offline Senior Member

Best Paleo explanation?

Primal Fuel
    The Paleo Identity Crisis: What Is The Paleo Diet, Anyway? - GNOLLS.ORG

Saw this blog post which I'm sure most of you are probably familiar with. I thought it was an amazing and convincing explanation for paleo, and just made me increase my intake of fatty meat.

Thoughts?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Great read, and the healthiest approach by far! I don't think anyone here would have the stones to refute genuine study information, in fact we rely on it for support of our overall fat-heavy, low-carb ways.

While it is sad that most paleolithic foods are no longer unavailable for the most part, our modern equivalents are the best we can do. But I don't understand the exploration into rice or butter. I mean, why? You have raw grass-fed fat and sweet potatoes, that's more than enough!

As for the timeline awareness, it is powerful! The lack of records from our days in the original environment, with the many failed lineages thereafter sure brings a new perspective to the whole deal. But it doesn't change my desire to eat just the way I am, because science and the history we do have both support it!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Butter because it tastes good and if it isn't fucking with your body then eat and enjoy!
    And rice? Because some people need a higher carb intake and comparing potatoes (starch AND a nightshade) to white rice (starch that is grain derived but only starch really remains) actually makes rice look potentially better! Not to mention it DOES have the ability to be stored for a long time due to almost non existent moisture content.

Umm, no and why? Sounds like you just want butter on your food and need to justify it. And sweet potatoes are a more-than-complete food that is ridiculously delicious. Why would anybody look at white potatoes or rice? It doesn't make sense for these worms to be crawling into basic Paleo/Primal notions.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Great read, and the healthiest approach by far! I don't think anyone here would have the stones to refute genuine study information, in fact we rely on it for support of our overall fat-heavy, low-carb ways.

While it is sad that most paleolithic foods are no longer unavailable for the most part, our modern equivalents are the best we can do. But I don't understand the exploration into rice or butter. I mean, why? You have raw grass-fed fat and sweet potatoes, that's more than enough!

As for the timeline awareness, it is powerful! The lack of records from our days in the original environment, with the many failed lineages thereafter sure brings a new perspective to the whole deal. But it doesn't change my desire to eat just the way I am, because science and the history we do have both support it!
    What exactly is wrong with either rice or butter? Anytime someone paleo-ish recommends rice, it's white rice which, Andrew's (Evolvify) recent post notwithstanding, is a good source of starch with low toxicity. Butter? Lots of fat, some of it butyrate, and if the milk proteins bother you clarify it into ghee. Like Kurt Harris said, not all neolithic foods are agents of disease; in fact plenty of them aren't.

There's a whole slew of similar explanations, actually. Kris Chresser's paleo template, Sean Croxton's Just Eat Real Food, Kurt Harris' Archevore, Raj Ganpath's 10 simple food rules to live by, and more besides. The point to all of these is that it doesn't have to be difficult or complicated. Avoid toxic foods, and you're most of the way there. Eat nourishing foods in place of these toxins and you're pretty much there. At least, as far as diet is concerned.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting. I don't call myself primal, let alone paleo but the topic interests me. Some people do paleo or primal to optimize their health or recover from serious health problems. Neither applies to me. I'm happy to have the same health as my grandparents, who ate butter, other dairy, white rice and beans. I will skip the other grains they ate. Note my forum handle.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Butter because it tastes good and if it isn't fucking with your body then eat and enjoy!
    And rice? Because some people need a higher carb intake and comparing potatoes (starch AND a nightshade) to white rice (starch that is grain derived but only starch really remains) actually makes rice look potentially better! Not to mention it DOES have the ability to be stored for a long time due to almost non existent moisture content.
    What's so bad about nightshades? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know more details!

Nightshades can be harmless to many people. They make my thumbs twitch! Anything from tomato sauce to dried jalapenos will trigger the twitching. Tried four or five times to reintroduce them, twitches start every time. But that's just one example. The alkaloids affect different people in different ways, often suspected of damaging nerves. I don't know how true it is, but my own experience tells me to stay away. If they don't bother you, why worry?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

CMHFFEMT is offline Member
    The offender in nightshades is solanine. Solanine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I personaly eat them just not every day.
    Last edited by CMHFFEMT; 11-02-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: pohr spelher