Thread: O6 Discussion page

musajen is offline Junior Member

Intro: I'm catching up on my Jimmy Moore podcasts and recently listened to episode 308 where Jimmy interviews Dr. Duane Graveline, a former astronaut, who has permanent damage from taking statins. Good interview, recommended.

Point of Discussion: One of the statements the dr. made in this interview was in regard to the importance of O6 fatty acids in the diet (I've heard this mentioned in passing before but never paid it much attention). He threw out a ratio that I can't remember exactly but I'm vaguely recalling he might have advocated for a 30:1 ratio of 6's to 3's (don't quote me on that, it was a high ratio though).

He also stated that the O6's available in today's CFO meats are inferior to quality O6's.

My Questions: Are O6's really beneficial? Can O6 quality be compromised? What are good sources of uncompromised O6's?

Here's the podcast if anyone is interested: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/s...a-episode-308/

mstrudle is offline Member

They are just as essential as omega-3s; they serve antagonistic roles in the body, with O6s being inflammatory and O3s anti-inflammatory. Being essential, they are both required. There is a stigma against them because most people eat them at such a high concentration in regards to O3s that they are no longer beneficial. We should have between a 4:1 and 1:1 ratio for optimal health according to most.

Omega fatty acids are polyunsaturated and thus highly unstable and prone to rancidity. Ergo, O6 quality can vary between sources.

I am not sure on good sources, but this is what Wikipedia lists: poultry

avocado

eggs

cereals

whole-grain breads

baked goods

nuts

most vegetable oils

evening primrose oil

borage oil

blackcurrant seed oil

flax/linseed oil

hemp oil

soybean oil

cottonseed oil

sunflower seed oil

corn oil

safflower oil

pumpkin seeds

acai berry

Thanks mstrudle. I blanked on rancidity being an issue with PUFA's.

Follow-up Questions: So outside of rancidity, are there other things that can compromise the quality of polyunsaturates? Or maybe I'm not asking the right question here...let me digress...

In the interview, the dr. made a comparison between CFO meat and grass-fed meat. He specifically said that the O6's in CFO meat were inferior (I think he used the word atrocious) to what you would get in grass-fed O6's.

What makes them inferior? Is rancidity in play already or is there another factor compromising the O6's? What effect is the CFO diet having on the O6's in the body?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I believe it's the diet of the animals that determines the 'quality' of the fat. corn/grain fed = bad. grass-fed = good!

I grok, therefore I am.

Agreed LTC. Beyond that, what mechanism is in play that makes the O6's inferior? How do we even know they are inferior when compared to grass-fed O6's. Is rancidity already at play in the body or is there some other degradation that is taking place?

Vick is offline Senior Member

Imflammation. Throwing the omega 3-6 ratio off such as our western diet has, throws our imflammatory control out of wack. This is the cause of or helps promote chronic diseases such as diabetes 2, hypertension, some cancers, arthritis, etc.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

I would think that O6 in grass fed are better balanced with the O3, compared to CAFO. But I don't know if there would actually be any problem with the fat. Although there would be a lot of bad things mixed with them.

I wonder if the antibiotics, chemicals and other 'toxins' in the non-grass-fed beef cause a degradation in the already-proned-to-rancidity O6 oil?

Like, if we are eating too much O6, specifically BAD O6 like Canola Oil and other 'franken-oils', then our body turns sunlight into a potentially dangerous factor when pro longingly exposed to the sun?

Would the same type of factor be happening in the cows, thus the meat degradation?

mstrudle is offline Member

Adipose tissue stores all of the body's toxins, but there actually cannot be a difference in quality between fat sources; something like linoleic acid, an O6, is a chemical, and chemical formulas don't change! The only difference in fat cells between a CAFO and a grassfed cow is that the former will contain the hormones, antibiotics, et cetera that it ingests during its lifetime. It will also have a higher O6:O3 ratio. Grassfed cows are not pumped full of hormones or antibiotics, and their diet is in line with their evolution, so the composition of the fat will be different (a lower O3:O6 ratio) and there won't be any crud stored in the fat cells.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ok, so it's just the toxicity of the fat/ meat and the O6:O3 ratio then.

It sounded like the interviewee was suggesting otherwise?