Thread: A new caveman! page

mitchmatician is offline Junior Member

A new caveman!

Shop Now
    Figured I would start off November with a full force Paleo assault! Started on Halloween and was able to not feast on any candy, grains, legumes or starchy tubers so I'm off to a good start. I lost 5 pounds today but that's probably because I didn't drink a whole lot of water yesterday ( a terrible habit that I usually manage). I did the Slow Carb Diet for a while and it got me some good results but the legumes always triggered a desire for more carbs whereas so far doing paleo the cravings are much less.

My workout routine uses the P90X schedule but the actual workouts use the philosophy proposed in the Book 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. Basically the workouts are short but intense and after each workout I take an ice bath (helps recovery time and as a bonus i love the cold).

I always loved being barefoot as a child (to this day I wear sandals unless the occasion or situation demands otherwise) and i love the pair of vibrams 5 fingers that I bought for this small charity walk I did. Allows me to be barefoot without people getting grossed out by the fact that people do actually have flesh helping them walk.

Long story short, I'm digging the Primal movement so far and I'm sticking to it hopefully as long as I can!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Mitch! Sounds like you are off to an explosive start. Hooray for ice baths after super-intense exercise.

Do you have any goals? Well, who cares! You are going to have fun no matter what. Enjoy the results!

thanks for the support!

my main goal is to lose as much fat as possible (I'm 5"6 and now at 190 hoping to get down to at least 150) and see if i can eventually get into a habit of running without being in constant aches and pains. Whenever I would run heel-toe and in regular shoes i would always end up in sever pain in various parts of the body. I did my first treadmill run last week and did it barefoot. No aches in the achilles tendon; just a soreness in the calf muscles as if i had a good workout.

I'm hoping that going Primal will help with my hobby of kickboxing so I'll see as time goes by.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the tribe!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Barefoot is the answer to your running aches and pains. In the bad old days I would run in expensive Nikes only to get achilles tendonitis in one foot and then the other. I also slipped and rolled my ankle which took months to heal.

Since going barefoot, no injuries, and calves like titanium pogo sticks. I think you're going to like it!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchmatician View Post
    I'm hoping that going Primal will help with my hobby of kickboxing so I'll see as time goes by.
    Oh my goodness, yes. I practiced kenpo for many years before going primal, but that was just fooling around compared to now. You are going to reap some big rewards! Hope to hear how it goes for you!

4th day in and I'm down another 3-4lbs. It's amazing how rib-eye can actually be part of a DIET!

interesting discovery: I gained those 5 pounds back (due to various cheat days that turned into benders) and this monday I started supplementing with Ghee. Well, I lost those 5 back again!

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    What to you mean 'supplementing' with ghee? I presume you mean cooking with it?

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Good for you, Mitch! You CAN do it.

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    @Mitch - regarding ice baths: Ice baths can probably help you recover quicker (and get you back to your exercise routine); however they also tend to blunt the adaptation response you were working so hard to get. I wrote a post on this topic this morning: Ice Baths - Should you take the Plunge?

...Tim