Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why is popcorn bad? page 7

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    So at best, eating the corn goes right through the digestive system without any nutrients being absorbed, and at worse may actually leach nutrients from the body.
    Everything I read about nixtamalization says it improves the availability of niacin. This is overstating by a lot.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Adoption of the nixtamalization process did not accompany the grain to Europe and beyond, perhaps because the Europeans already had more efficient milling processes for hulling grain mechanically. Without alkaline processing, maize is a much less beneficial foodstuff, and malnutrition struck many areas where it became a dominant food crop. In the nineteenth century, pellagra epidemics were recorded in France, Italy, and Egypt, and kwashiorkor hit parts of Africa where maize had become a dietary staple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtama...a.2C_and_India

Much of the research I've read about nixtamalization is in physical books, but here's a wikipedia link that sums it up.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Actually ALL grains have glutens, corn has it's own unique type of gluten. Wheat & other members of the wheat family have gliadin, the most problematic for the most people. I learned recently that even buckwheat which is technically the seed of a fruiting bush belonging to the rhubarb family, not a wheat nor even a true grain.

Well, turns out that buckwheat has it's own unique form of prolomin in it too, though it is low percentage-wise, The amount of prolamin was from
    3.37 to 4.95 % of total protein.
    It does have lectins in it as well as rogue elements not quarantined & tested properly by scientists yet. However, buckwheat is pretty darn impressive other-wise, nutritionally speaking.

I lost my taste for buckwheat, apparently, after fermenting some buckwheat last year ala Weston A Price Foundation principles. I was like ''meh'', whereas in years past, most of my adult life in fact, i loved buckwheat pancakes, noodles & kasha.

Organic air-popped would be "ok" as a 20% item, I guess... I don't miss popcorn.

But corn chips and salsa, especially when eating out, sometimes I indulge. At parties, where it's more of a pot luck, multiple choice buffet set-up I can easily skip over corn chips without a 2nd thought. Funny how that dynamic works...

What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains? | Mark's Daily ...

That can't be right!!!" you say. But indeed it is; it's true! ALL grains contain gluten. http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-theres-no-suc.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60384.html

Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post
    Popcorn is made from corn. Corn is a grain. It doesn't have Gluten like wheat but it has hardly any micro nutrients and very high carbs. Also corn does have Lectins, more about that here:

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Timthetaco Guest
    BB, pellagra is due to a lack of niacin, and kwashiorkor is due to a lack of protein. Niacin aside, it doesn't necessarily have to be nixtamalized.

Auray is offline Junior Member
    Popcorn is much easier on my old teeth than Corn nuts. Both make horrible crunchy noises in my head and require too much dental floss to get rid of the remnants. Popcorn, rice cakes, styrofoam - not good.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Organic kettle corn down at Safeway is the bomb...

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Actually ALL grains have glutens, corn has it's own unique type of gluten. Wheat & other members of the wheat family have gliadin, the most problematic for the most people. I learned recently that even buckwheat which is technically the seed of a fruiting bush belonging to the rhubarb family, not a wheat nor even a true grain.

Well, turns out that buckwheat has it's own unique form of prolomin in it too, though it is low percentage-wise, The amount of prolamin was from
    3.37 to 4.95 % of total protein.
    It does have lectins in it as well as rogue elements not quarantined & tested properly by scientists yet. However, buckwheat is pretty darn impressive other-wise, nutritionally speaking.

I lost my taste for buckwheat, apparently, after fermenting some buckwheat last year ala Weston A Price Foundation principles. I was like ''meh'', whereas in years past, most of my adult life in fact, i loved buckwheat pancakes, noodles & kasha.

Organic air-popped would be "ok" as a 20% item, I guess... I don't miss popcorn.

But corn chips and salsa, especially when eating out, sometimes I indulge. At parties, where it's more of a pot luck, multiple choice buffet set-up I can easily skip over corn chips without a 2nd thought. Funny how that dynamic works...

What! There's No Such Thing As Gluten-free Grains? | Mark's Daily ...

That can't be right!!!" you say. But indeed it is; it's true! ALL grains contain gluten. The Urban Poser:: January 2012what-theres-no-suc.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60384.html
    Not so fast. Gluten is a form of prolamine. Other forms of prolamine are not considered gluten. *Some* might have similar effects, but I'm not aware of where that line is drawn.

Lectin isn't that bad either because your body produces things which can disable it, and many other foods you eat have compounds which can disable it.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Whatever you do, please don't try to scratch a popcorn itch at the cinema. That stuff is a 30-ingredient atrocity.
    I recently read the ingredients on a container of "buttery", which is what they pump over popcorn in theaters. Partially hydrogenated soy oil, artificial flavoring, beta carotene coloring.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567