Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More sugar, choc-choc's, bread, sugar & cereal please Mr Greedy Guts page

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member

More sugar, choc-choc's, bread, sugar & cereal please Mr Greedy Guts

Shop Now
    I having a real problem with sugar/refined carbs at the moment. The primal diet (NED) went really well for about three/four months then for the last six months I've been really struggling with sugar and refined carbs. The diets been very on and off, approximately four days on three days off every week. I can go a few days everything is fine and then I slip up and start on the sugar, but like ravenous for sugar. Really annoying. I'm bingeing very similar to an alcoholic, nightmare. And after I have a day on carbs it sets the tone for the next few days. I feel like a drug addict.

Are there any supplements that may help me stop craving carbs?

I'm gaining weight slowly but have managed to keep at a reasonable weight, but it is gradually creeping on again.

My will power seems to be very weak. The weight training on the other-hand has been consistent and good. Diet is difficult!

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, there's no magic pill to make addictions go away. Glutamine, chromium, 5-HTP, and sometimes a big dose of Vitamin C can help, but ultimately it comes down to you.

As addictive as sugar is, I do think there's a psychological component that at least -begins- a sugar maelstrom. So, first spot check your life. As cheesy as this sounds, are you lacking sweetness in other areas of your life?

There are a lot of ways people overcome sugar addictions. It really depends on you. Here are a few strategies -- the perfect fix for you really depends on your mindset, physiology, and whatever else scientists like to pathologize.

1) Get back on good carbs. Carbs aren't bad -- it's refined junk and sugar that wreaks the real havoc. So indulge in yummy fruit, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc. Get your kicks on good stuff and soon refined sugar will start to taste like the acrid junk it is. You don't need a huge amount either. Just try adding like a sweet potato or a fruit to your meals. Plus, if you tell yourself your ALLOWED to have carbs, just good ones, eating cookies won't seem so "horribly but alluringly" attractive.

2) Go cold turkey. Personally I don't find this works well in the long run, as it more just tacks a band-aid and I find the "rubber band snap" is pretty nasty. But some people find success with it. Basically, go low carb for awhile, stick it out, embrace the suckage, and eventually lose your desire for it.

3) Wrangle your reptilian mind. Be MINDFUL. When you feel the urge, slow the fuck down. Think about it. If you take this cookie, you will have a momentary hit of pleasure. Then have you'll feel like crap. Keep on doing it and you'll get fat and have low-grade inflammation. Whereas if you say "screw the cookie," you'll be proud. In essence, work through your thoughts, RELAX (tension will make you more likely to hide in a sack of sugar), and reason out what you really want vs. what your childish side is crying for.

4) This is in conjunction to the previous three. Expect that you won't be perfect. You may have a cookie. But don't fall into the "I fucked up so now I must EAT ALL THE THINGS" You can always stop eating -- one slip up doesn't justify another.
    Last edited by Phoenixflame; 11-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.

I'm annoyed at my lack of willpower at present... F*ck me, really annoying.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you're caught in some kind of low carb spiral. Your body may be the type that prefers to have a good bit of carbohydrate in it. If you're confusing Primal with low-carb and you're starving yourself of carbohydrate like most people do, your body may be revolting, and it'll build and explode in a sugar binge. Try eating a moderate carb Primal approach with regularly eating sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white rice, banana...an AWESOME stir-fry can be made with 1 sweet potato, 1 banana, 1 apple, kale or cabbage and fresh ginger and garlic in coconut oil. Simply including starch regularly may give your body the carbs it's desperately craving so it doesn't turn into a sugar binge. The funny thing is, avoiding starch can make your body crave sugar, but eating starch rarely seems to set most people off into a sugar binge. I've never had rice or potatoes set off my sweet tooth, but it can kill a craving of sweets...
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-01-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It sounds like you're caught in some kind of low carb spiral. Your body may be the type that prefers to have a good bit of carbohydrate in it. If you're confusing Primal with low-carb and you're starving yourself of carbohydrate like most people do, your body may be revolting, and it'll build and explode in a sugar binge. Try eating a moderate carb Primal approach with regularly eating sweet potatoes, white potatoes, white rice, banana...an AWESOME stir-fry can be made with 1 sweet potato, 1 banana, 1 apple, kale or cabbage and fresh ginger and garlic in coconut oil. Simply including starch regularly may give your body the carbs it's desperately craving so it doesn't turn into a sugar binge. The funny thing is, avoiding starch can make your body crave sugar, but eating starch rarely seems to set most people off into a sugar binge. I've never had rice or potatoes set off my sweet tooth, but it can kill a craving of sweets...
    This, +1

No, I'm not confusing low carb and primal, but do crave sugary foods unfortunately.

otzi Guest
    I did the same thing for years. Lost a lot on Atkins in the 90's, but couldn't kick the sugar habit. I hit rock-bottom, as they say, a few years ago...250lbs, pre-diabetic, gout, high bp, high trigs, high LDL, low HDL, sleep apnea, hypothyroid--full blown metabolic syndrome. I dieted, but still had a hard time with sugar. When I found PB last year it was a life-changer. I've now cut out all refined, processed foods and have no sugar cravings. My after dinner dessert is either frozen berries covered in coconut milk or a huge spoonful of coconut oil mixed with 100% bakers dark chocolate. Those two items cap off my eating for the night and I don't eat again until lunch the next day. By the way, I'm now at 172lbs, and take no medicine. haven't had gout in over a year.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottsmith View Post
    No, I'm not confusing low carb and primal, but do crave sugary foods unfortunately.
    What do you usually eat in a day? How many calories? How much fat and protein? How many carbs? Do you avoid fruit and/or starches? What is your weight and approximate % body fat? How often do you exercise? What kind of exercises do you do?

So many answers are needed to point you in the right direction.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    First, I think before you try tightening and cleaning up your diet, you should be completely relaxed with it for a while. You can eat anything you want to eat, eating sugar is not 'wrong' and it does not make you weak. You may find that when nothing is off limits, you are much less interested in the things that used to be. And if you can eat sugar when you feel like eating it,

There are definitely psychological components to sugar cravings (which I think being relaxed with it can help to overcome) but certain supplements can help a lot. Magnesium deficiency can cause sugar cravings and the most likely reasons for it are not having enough in the diet and stress. Inositol can also help - it's usually used by people with insulin resistance, estrogen dominance, and related hormone imbalances .

PaleoAP is offline Member
    As someone who has struggled with carb-binges, I recommend adding more fat to your diet. I've found that more fat keeps me satiated AND kills my carb cravings. Eat more bacon and fatty meats! I've also found that trying to satisfy my sweet tooth with fruit or primal approved sweets is counter productive. If you give your sweet tooth what it wants then you're simply reinforcing the reaction. My advice is to stick it out for awhile, up your fat and eventually your cravings will go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast