Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Grassfed. Vegetarian Fed." WTF? page

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member

"Grassfed. Vegetarian Fed." WTF?

Shop Now
    Ok, so recently I've been shopping at whole foods and at first I was super excited because I found some "grassfed" lamb patties and such. However, upon further reading the labels, it says "grassfed" -skip to next line- "vegetarian fed." So in my mind as I'm reading this I'm thinking how can they be grassfed, but receive vegetarian feed? Isn't this false labeling or something? And this isn't just lamb patties, it's on several different cuts and products. Any thoughts?
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'd say they're probably fine. They probably stick that on there just to let people know that the lambs aren't eating any animal by-products like bonemeal or something crazy like that.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Ground up vegetarians fed to livestock should not overly raise the omega-6 levels in the meat so you're probably in the clear.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Maybe "grass fed - vegetarian fed" is wholefoods for "grass fed - grain finished" ??

At other supermarkets they proudly sell grain fed beef, because nobody knows that cows eat grass. I'm totally serious, I'm convinced most people have no idea what cows actually eat.

Many American lamb producers try to get the best of both worlds: the cache of 100% pastured, and the quicker fattening (and lower expense) from vegetarian feed (read: corn, soy).

If it says vegetarian fed, I would avoid in favor of 100% grassfed, unless you really are having a hard time finding the good stuff.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Grass is vegetarian... Maybe they're just specifying that.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Grass is totes vegan.

(pet peeve: when everything that isn't meat is labeled vegan it drives me insane, fruit isn't vegan, it's just fruit)

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    At other supermarkets they proudly sell grain fed beef, because nobody knows that cows eat grass. I'm totally serious, I'm convinced most people have no idea what cows actually eat.
    Oh, at my supermarket, they proudly announce their beef is not just grain fed, it's CORN FED. Like it's a good thing. sheesh!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Maybe "grass fed - vegetarian fed" is wholefoods for "grass fed - grain finished" ??

bahahhaha same here, they promote their midwestern corn raised beef....oyyyyy hahah

fwiw, the chickens i buy are vegans lol. i dont know what that means but there isnt anything injected in them solution-wise like the other chickens

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that grass fed has to be grass fed. Putting veggie fed on there includes grass fed. As someone else stated, I think they just want people who are walking around not knowing what grass fed means to know that they're noteating animal by products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast