Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sort of freaked - cholesterol numbers page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Sort of freaked - cholesterol numbers

Primal Fuel
    I know there are tons of threads about cholesterol here, and I have to search and pore through them. And I will. But at the moment I am a little freaked out because I just got off the phone with my doctor, who proceeded to tell me that my cholesterol numbers came back, and they're way too high.

Overall: 362 (she said this was way too high)
    Triglycerides: 36 (she said this was too low)
    HDL: 121 (she said this was too high)
    LDL: 233 (she said this was too high)

She wanted to know if I'd fasted before the test (I had). So now she's talking about medication, etc., and for the next three months I'm to eat "lots of vegetables and lots of fiber" and "cut my salt" and "reduce fat."

As an aside, I went primal mid-August, and I am now doing Whole 30. When my blood was taken, I had just started Whole 30 that week; previously, my dairy intake was rather high.

I'm already half-convinced that I need to find another doctor, because this same practice last week just told me cheerfully that I should go on blood pressure medication to help control my Raynauds - even though my blood pressure is on the lower side of normal.

I'm only 40. I sure as hell don't want to go on any serious medication.

But I'm a little freaked because my cousin who's only 48 just got a stent -- lots of blockage, apparently, even though she is "very healthy" (whatever that means; I have no idea how she was eating, but based on how she was training to be a triathlete, I'm guessing it is a high-carb sort of plan).

So for those of you who know far better than I, please tell me: do I have cause to be seriously concerned about my cholesterol numbers?

Thanks in advance.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm I would get a second opinion. I dont know how your Triglycerides could be too LOW, and your HDL could be too HIGH. I would also get a full lipid test to see what kind of LDL you have going on. The markers for heart disease are high triglycerides, low hdl, and high small particle ldl.. (from doing my own reading..including what Mark S says.)

Thanks, activia. I could barely get the info out of her when we spoke on the phone -- but she's sending me the actual results. Maybe there's more information on the lab work that she didn't tell me.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    What does daily food intake look like for you?

activia is offline Senior Member
    JackieKessler read Tim's post in the "heart attach risk" thread that was started tonight. He has even more detail..also the name of that specific test you need. Sounds like you need a new doc.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread41237.html

Grok on!

Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    What does daily food intake look like for you?
    Right now, I'm following Whole 30. Before that, I'd been going a little overboard with dairy, fruit and nuts. I'd only been doing Whole 30 for 1 day before my blood was drawn.

Saturday:
    B- 2 eggs scrambled in olive oil with garlic, onions, mushrooms and green bell peppers; 1/2 all-natural [minimally processed] chicken sausage with sundried tomatoes; black coffee; water
    L - 4 leftover homemade meatballs (beef/pork/veal blend); 1/2 c spaghetti squash; BAS; 1 med apple; water
    snack - oolong tea
    D - leftover homemade chicken soup; 1 clementine orange

Sunday:
    B- Kale, bacon and onions sauteed with coconut milk and chicken broth; black coffee; water
    L- wild-caught albacore, BAS, 8 slivers of different pears (about 1 med pear total); water
    D- turkey, hard-boiled egg, bacon, avocado in mixed green salad with balsamic vinaigrette; hot tea, water

Today:
    B- 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, with peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic and 1 all-natural [minimally processed] chicken sausage with sundried tomatoes; black coffee; water
    L - 5 homemade meatballs [beef/pork/veal blend] over 1 cup of spaghetti squash; water
    snack - 1 med apple, 1 handful raw hazelnuts, 2 oz turkey
    D - 8 oz creamy macadamia shrimp (used coconut oil instead of butter), steamed asparagus, water; oolong tea

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    JackieKessler read Tim's post in the "heart attach risk" thread that was started tonight. He has even more detail..also the name of that specific test you need. Sounds like you need a new doc.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread41237.html

Grok on!
    Thanks -- will do so!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert, but from my understanding you lipids are amazing. Get a second opinion, maybe from a cardiologist.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    An HDL of 121 almost makes you immune to heart problems. The only thing that might be a warning sign is that even though it's the "healthy" marker it's pretty high along with your LDL. This means little to nothing as far as heart health goes but it could point to some other internal imbalance (potentially). Considering how high your HDL is, I'm assuming you're a woman. Well statins wouldn't do a damned thing to fix any potentially related imbalances and as a woman the statins wouldn't do you a lick of good anyways (but you'd still be vulnerable to all of their many negative side effects). Unless your doctor is awesome in other areas, kick her to the curb.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I'm no expert, but from my understanding you lipids are amazing. Get a second opinion, maybe from a cardiologist.
    Thanks for this. I'm convinced - will get a second opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast