Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heart attack risks? page

btownshreds is offline Senior Member

heart attack risks?

if you convert from eating terrible, junk food, tons of carbs, to eating paleo wouldnt it increase your levels and cause a heart attack?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Levels of what? I don't see how eating healthier can increase disease risk.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    If you mean will going primal hurt your cholesterol levels, the answer is almost certainly not.

I made that exact same conversion. Nobody had more of a junk food diet than I did. I worked very hard at it, eating McDonald's every day, including every last one of the large fries and coke with plenty of refills. (Actually, daily Carl's Jr. was even worse, but that's another story.)

Six weeks after going primal, my lipid panel:

Total Chol: 199
    HDL 70
    Trigs 44
    LDL (calc) 120

18 months after going primal:

Total chol 242
    HDL 83
    Trig 54
    LDL (calc) 148

My doctor assures me that there is nothing to worry about with such high levels of HDL.

My primal diet is dominated by eggs and pork products, especially sausage and bacon.

In short, don't fear saturated fat from healthy animals.

Tim thank you. but what concerns me is your cholesterol levels jumped.....i thought with paleo and eating all meat and veggies and no carbs etc would decrease that value? at least from what ive seen people always say that it dropped.....

i would think that carls (the burger patty anyway) would be alot healthier than mcdonalds considering carls is charbroiled. i would choose a carls patty over mcdonalds anyway......

its hard to shop grass fed this and that....expensive stuff.....so i have to go with the cheap fast food menu and eat just the meat....
    Big brains discuss ideas
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Btownshreds, I noticed the same thing, but there are a few mitigating factors:

1) LDL is calculated using an equation that may be inaccurate when triglycerides are very low.
    2) There are different kinds of LDL: a fluffy, low-density kind that is benign, and an oxidized, dense kind that is harmful.
    3) Very high HDL (which went up significantly) means that moderate LDL is not harmful.

I don't have my cholesterol numbers from before I went primal, but I remember they were high enough to alarm my doctor.

This time around, I was willing to get a VAP test to directly measure the LDL and establish that it was the benign type, but my doctor explained that due to elevated HDL, that didn't matter, and that the LDL wasn't high in any case. So I saved my money.

If you want to delve a little bit more into the logic behind those points, there's a great primer in the first post here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

As for fast food, the meat is probably the least harmful part. What got me was the heavily oxidized seed oils they use to fry things like french fries and nuggets, the grains, preservatives, and synthetic chemicals in the breads, and the high-fructose corn syrup in everything.

If you go to fast food and get lettuce wraps, you'll do just fine, especially when it's charbroiled as you pointed out.

Great info.

Ok so basically its safe to start paleo and its healthy???
    Big brains discuss ideas
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

activia is offline Senior Member
    absoletly!!

The Definitive Guide to Cholesterol | Mark's Daily Apple
    Is Saturated Fat Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

I eat this way more for the health benefits then for weight loss!! It is fab

You should read some of the success stories... it helps with anxiety, adhd, migraines, allergies...the list goes on and on!

Success Stories | Mark's Daily Apple

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btownshreds View Post
    Great info.

Ok so basically its safe to start paleo and its healthy???
    Were you seriously expecting anyone on here to say it wasn't?....
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I had the same question, but I've seen it for myself. My HDL was last measured at 93.7. Most of the women were envious. My total cholesterol was a pleasant 240 something.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by btownshreds View Post
    Tim thank you. but what concerns me is your cholesterol levels jumped.....i thought with paleo and eating all meat and veggies and no carbs etc would decrease that value?
    Total cholesterol jumping is completely meaningless without looking at individual numbers and particle makeup. Even a doctor who thinks that high cholesterol is a sure sign of impending doom (which it isn't) will agree that a higher HDL is a good thing... even though a higher HDL will of course, raise your total.

The other thing to consider is Paleo isn't a low carb diet. It tends to be a lower carb diet than the average person eats, but after almost 2 years of eating this way I've found that I can lift weights much more easily and maintain a really low BFP if I eat as many carbs as I can - the caveat is I only get them from fruit, different kinds of potatoes and whatever carbohydrates there are in full fat Greek yogurt I have every morning.

If you can't afford the grass fed beef (like me) then go for organic beef and cook it in butter from grass fed cows to get the good fats like CLA. Kerrygold at Trader Joes is totally reasonable and tastes great.

OK, after all that the other thing I have to point out is the first step to getting healthy is to STOP EATING PROCESSED FOODS! Ya gotta make the time somehow, learn to cook, and make all your own food. Comparing Carl's Jr to McDonald's is pointless. They're both near the bottom of the list of things a person should eat - due it part to the way they are cooked/preped/handled etc (as Timothy pointed out).

The only way to find out if it's healthy is to try it. Get some blood work done, eat this way for awhile then get blood work done again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast