Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot damn, free MEAT page

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member

Hot damn, free MEAT

Shop Now
    So, last month we got our (local, grass-fed) half beef and whole pig in the freezer, including the beef tongue, heart and extra liver that folks didn't want with their beef, PLUS lard & tallow. I asked if they had any bones for soup & my dogs but they didn't at the time. Today I got a call - come and get some bones! Here's what I came home with -

That's beef heart on the left, soup bones in the center and beef liver on the right:

I offered to pay but the butcher said they usually throw this stuff out - W. T. F? Most folks just want the steaks, roasts & hamburger! I didn't weight it but guessing at least 40 lbs. of FREE FOOD!

Headed into Winter, here are my freezers. The little one:

and the big one, right & left sides:

Happy.

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Frickin' sweet. I'm not into beef hearts m'self, but am loving your bounty all the same.

Paleobird Guest
    Beef heart makes really good jerky if you want to make room in the freezer. So jealous.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Beef heart makes really good jerky if you want to make room in the freezer. So jealous.
    That's exactly what I plan to do with it! Great minds ....

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Niiiice!

Use some of those bones to make Thomas Keller's Beef Broth. It is amazing!
    http://www.imafoodblog.com/index.php...nch-onion-soup
    Last edited by Adrianag; 10-31-2011 at 04:33 PM.

bb90788 is offline Member
    My boyfriend bought me a freezer as an early christmas gift and it arrives thursday AM. I am super excited. We are starting a beef CSA program, to build up slowly as we can't really afford to buy a half cow all at once.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i think that you are good to go. i'm going to start asking our butcher about it.

there's a game company in the marlborough sounds (south island) that can't sell the deer liver, and so if you are there when it is fresh, and ask for it, it's free. NICE.

except that i'm not there, they can't ship it as far as i know, and i don't know what to do with liver yet.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    That's so awesome. I was almost replying with ME ME MEM EMEEMEMEM thinking you were giving this away ...

your freezer has me drooling. I have only bought GF meats a handful of times, it doesn't last in my house and I live with three non-primals that don't care to stop eating grain, but are all too happy to eat the meat I buy. It's probably still way better for them to eat GF meat, but I reckon it's too expensive for it to go so fast, and esp if it might get ruined by getting cooked in the wrong oils, etc. I can't trust my family with good meat haha.

Enjoy!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I need to get a chest freezer and tell my GF butcher that I will take ANYTHING he is throwing away "for my dog".

The dog will get some of it, so it's not really a lie.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinC View Post
    Frickin' sweet. I'm not into beef hearts m'self, but am loving your bounty all the same.
    Beef heart, beef liver, beef kidney...I know what you're saying. Here's what I did: I bought an 800 watt meat grinder. Take 4-5 pounds of beef chuck, throw in a beef heart and a calf liver and you won't even notice. Now you get to eat your offal and no one is the wiser. I got mine for less than $100 shipped and it comes with a sausage making kit, too, which totally rocks!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast