Thread: 21 Day Transformation Book page

pivot44 is offline Junior Member

21 Day Transformation Book

Primal Fuel
    Mark,

Just got finished reading the new book; great job.

I didn't see a single mention of almond flour or almond milk, two of my staples for Paleo 'bread' recipes and the milk for protein shakes. Should I assume that almond is out and only coconut is in?

Hot dogs are out, yet bacon is allowed (both contain nitrites). I haven't seen an organic or pasture raised bacon product; is there a brand?

I believe there is a picture of a honey bottle on page 89 as one of the foods to eliminate, yet aren't there almond four/cocunut pancake recipes on this site that allow drizzling on top?

Thanks again.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Pivot, I'm not Mark but maybe my perspective would be helpful to you.

I used almond flour and almond milk pretty heavily when I first went primal, for the very same purposes you describe. There is nothing wrong with them, although the almond milk you buy in the store is not really a natural food. It's more like a watered-down almond extract with some added vitamins.

After almost two years of primal, I now avoid them both. Having high PUFA, incomplete protein, and some phytates, almond products are simply not as nutritionally dense or biologically appropriate as other foods like meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables. But if they help you keep away from grain and sugar, and if you feel good after you eat them, they're nothing to worry about.

Pigs being omnivores can't get all their food from a typical pasture. I've never seen "organic" pork but good store brands will be hormone- and antibiotic-free. The best pigs are fed a variety of meat and vegetables. If you really want quality, talk to the pork farmers at your local farmer's market.

Honey is basically sucrose with some helpful enzymes and pollen. Pretty close to empty calories, but it won't hurt much in small amounts.

Hope this is helpful to you. All of this is really just fine-tuning. It sounds like you know your stuff.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure he said to toss out the almond milk in the action items section.

Edit: Yep, page 89.

I have gotten "uncured bacon" that uses celery extract for its nitrites but I'm still on the fence whether the increased bacterial risk is worth it. The best place to get organic/pastured bacon would be your local farmer's market. Mark has this to say about nitrite/bacon:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sodium-nitrite-meat/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-quick-guide-to-bacon/

I think it's more that the sausage and patties tend to be more processed/made from lower quality meats.
    Last edited by Dracil; 11-02-2011 at 05:06 PM.

pivot44 is offline Junior Member

Thanks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you both.