Thread: Primal Food Questions page

drewmeister is offline Junior Member

Primal Food Questions

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I am just getting into this primal/paleo type of lifestyle. In my studying on the net I have found conflicting information regarding foods that are good and foods to avoid.

Some call for high fat meats while others call for lean meats?
    Some say dairy is good but others say it should be avoided?
    Some say potatoes are fine others say they are bad?
    Is choco a bean or a seed?
    Is stevia just a sugar substitute or is it allowed because it is a plant?

Any help would be appreciated.

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    Hey - welcome to the primal side! grin.

Paleo is more "strict" than primal... most paleo avoid dairy and strict primals avoid dairy. (It's sort of like religion... strict Catholics vs. Catholics that only go to church on Christmas....) If you have issues with dairy or you are lactose intolerant you should avoid it.... I still eat dairy. Not primarily and it's not a main part of my meals but I eat it and don't worry about it... milk in my coffee every day and today had cheese sprinkled on my omelette.

Potatoes are higher carb and not as nutritious as other tubers like parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, sweet potatoes... they are o.k. in moderation. Tho I haven't missed them at all and don't eat them as there are so many other options....

Dunno which choco is... I have 72% or higher dark chocolate as an indulge when I need a sweet fix... and I have 1 - 2 squares of it and my sweet tooth is fixed. Not sure it matters if it's a seed or a bean if you are using it sparingly as an occasional treat.

Dunno about stevia... I was using a tsp. of honey in my coffee and weaned myself off... in Mark's book it says he uses a pinch of sugar in his coffee each day so ...? If I'm going to use sweetner, I personally prefer to use "real" sugar or honey. I rarely use it or need it.

Think as far as meat is concerned - you are supposed to find grass fed, pasture raised meat... those meats are typically leaner and full of better things than grain fed, factory farmed and grain finished meat... but you don't have to shy away from or worry about fatter cuts of meat... does that make sense? Once your body begins burning fat, it will burn fat... so a fatter cut of protien won't matter to your system. Fat is your friend now.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    If I'm not mistaken, the fats in grass fed beef are better for you than in grain fed. They, however, leaner, so there's less fat to deal with. As I was telling someone in a different thread the other day, buying fatty ground beef just to watch that burger shrink on the grill as the fat melts away is stupid. You may as well throw your money in the grill. Some fats are good for you and good fats are your friend in primal. Use your common sense though.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Welcome drewmeister!

Some call for high fat meats while others call for lean meats?

If you are coming from a standard industrial diet, I would go for the fatty meats. Saturated fat from healthy animals is an essential fuel for your body as well as a vector for fat-soluble vitamins. But follow your tastes. You could just as well go with lean meats and supplement with fish, eggs, and coconut.

The quality of the animal, and the appropriateness of its diet, is far more important than whether that animal's meat is fat or lean.

Some say dairy is good but others say it should be avoided?

This is a highly individual question. The best way to find out if it works for you is to exclude it from your diet for, say, a month. Then you can reintroduce it while changing nothing else in your diet and see how you feel. But if your main goal is weight loss, non-fermented dairy is probably not doing you any favors.

Some say potatoes are fine others say they are bad?

If you're coming off a standard industrial diet, your body needs to learn to burn fat instead of carbs. Going very low carb will speed this process, and that means excluding potatoes.

But once your body is properly able to a burn fats, periodic refeeds of carbohydrate, typically following intense exercise, are almost universally considered a good thing. Potatoes are great for this.

Is choco a bean or a seed?

Cacao is a bean that is typically fermented, shelled, and consumed in small quantities. So the usual problems surrounding legumes and grains are not really an issue with chocolate. Sugar is much more of an issue, which is why chocolate is best eaten dark.

Is stevia just a sugar substitute or is it allowed because it is a plant?

Stevia is an herb and is more like a spice than an actual food. The caloric value is negligible and it has actually been used to treat diabetes. Not something to be worried about.

Have fun and bon appetit!

trail chick is offline Junior Member
    I would make sure to read Primal Blueprint, Mark's book. It is great reading, and will tell you everything you need to know on these topics.

drewmeister is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the replies. I will sure pick up the book when I have a chance.