Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do about FH? page

What to do about FH?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My cholesterol has been steadily climbing over the past 9 months of Primal living. TC has gone from 269 to 317 to 374. LDL has gone from 195 to 290. My triglycerides are good (~60). My VAP test results showed pattern A LDL.

I have asked several people on different forums if they would be concerned about this. Most people, even those who doubt the Lipid Hypothesis of heart disease, said it should be checked out. Chris Kresser told me I should be checked for Familial Hypercholesterolemia. I have not been screened yet, but I plan to be in the near future.

Question for the good folks of MDA..... What would the Primal protocol be for treating FH? The sources I can find all say avoid saturated fats, take statins, whole grains, etc. That doesn't mesh with the Primal outlook. Is this my only option, if indeed I do have FH? Does anyone here have personal experience in dealing with this condition?

js290 is offline Senior Member

I have read both of those (and many other articles) from top to bottom. Being Primal I follow his recommendations, almost to the letter. He gets to the end and says.....

"So what if you have FH? Are the recommendations different?

More discussion in the next post."

For the life of me I can't find that next post.

jel
    jel is offline Junior Member
    I'm right there with you. Total cholesterol went from 250 to 500, LDL 210 to 400. I also am pattern A, but it's little consolation with my LDL that high. I'm still waiting for that post on FH from Dr. Harris, cause I have no idea what to do. Right now, I'm trying to limit all dairy to see what effect that has. I've also added potatos and white rice to displace some of the saturated fat that I was eating. How is one tested for FH?

I think it's a genetic test. It's caused by a defect on chromosome 19. What it costs or how exactly to go about getting tested, I don't know.

esochi60 is offline Junior Member
    The genetic test for FH is quite expensive .

In heterozygous FH , the LDL C receptors are not all functional and the LDL C just floats around, more prone to oxydation ...

Dr Jack Kruse mentioned the use of T3 and vitamin A to get cholesterol down.

FH = Leptin resistance ?

5/9/12 test results:

TC 349
    Trigs 60
    LDL 276
    HDL 61

Not sure what to do next.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalIllini View Post
    5/9/12 test results:

TC 349
    Trigs 60
    LDL 276
    HDL 61

Not sure what to do next.
    If you're that concerned about cholesterol, get a VAP test to get particle sizes measured. Otherwise, get your other metabolic markers checked and don't sweat it.

Medical Tests Recommended by Dr. Ron Rosedale | Sam Snyder

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What is the outcome for people with FH? Do they end up with more heart disease than others? Do they die sooner than others?

I thought I would look it up. It seems from this article that FH means REALLY high cholesterol and VERY early heart problems. Do you really have anything to worry about after reading this? I mean, is this you? My mom has cholesterol in the 400s and my grandmother did too. Mine was 268 last time I looked. There's no heart disease at all in my family. We might have high cholesterol but we don't have this:
    Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia - Clinical outcome of patients with familial hypercholesterolemia and coronary artery disease undergoing partial ileal bypass surgery
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

I had a VAP test last summer. I have mostly pattern A LDL. I know all the ins and outs of the holes in the Lipid Hypothesis, but it's way easier to sit back and throw rocks at it when they other guy has sky high cholesterol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast