Thread: An Awesome Primal Workout for Mud Run Training page

mudrunmaniac is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up An Awesome Primal Workout for Mud Run Training

Each week at Home - Mud Run Maniac - Your #1 source for mud run training and tips., I post a Maniac Monday Workout to help my audience train for mud run events. This one borrows from the Primal Blueprint Fitness philosophy as described at Mark’s Daily Apple. The Primal Playground Workout is a fun and intense series of primal exercises that includes jumping, sprinting, climbing, lifting heavy things and simulating some of the very basic movements used by our hunter-gatherer ancestors. The goal here is not to just act like “Grok,” but to get outside, get some sun and expand your mud run training repertoire with a few creatively simple primal tasks.

So let’s get right to it!…Here’s what you need:

• a playground with a jungle gym or swing set
    • a round heavy object, like a bowling ball, medicine ball, etc.

To complete the Primal Playground Workout:

25 Box Jumps: Box jumps help build your lower body power and develop balance and stability. Stand in front of a stable park bench or table, or something between 2 and 3 feet high. Leap up and land softly on the balls of your feet with your feet about hip-width apart. Swing your arms back then forward while you jump to help gain momentum and maintain your balance. Leap backward off the object and land in a similar position on the ground. Aim for form first, speed second.

25 “Throw Your Hat Over the Fence:” The expression derives from a story in which a farmer’s boy has the difficult task of disassembling a high fence. His father comes to check on him and seeing that his son’s dejection, he asks, “What’s wrong?” The son complains that the fence is very high and it will take him hours to get the job done. The father takes the son’s hat and tosses it over the fence. Stunned, the boy demands, “Why did you throw my hat over the fence?” to which the father replies, “”Son, in order to get your hat back, you’re going to have to take down a few boards. You might even take down a few more and before you know it, you’re done. Or, you may take down just enough boards to get to your hat and decide that’s enough for today. That’s okay because you can come back to tomorrow, throw your hat over the fence, and take a few more down. Either way you’ll get the job done.” The moral of the story, when faced with a challenge, just toss your hat, or in this case a bowling ball, over the fence and get started! Then hop over the fence, pick up the ball and hurl it back.

50 Upside Down Mountain Climbers: Just like the real thing, except your starting positing will be upside down in an inverted shoulder press position with your feet against a tree and your hands on the ground.

50 Jump Lunges: A great variation of the lunge movement. Hold your weight in front of your chest, lower into a lunge position, spring up in the air and switch your feet. Repeat. As a reminder, set your form slowly, then try for speed.

50 Deep Bodyweight Squats: Lower your “ass to the grass” to perform this deep squat movement. Just remember to keep your knees at about hip-width apart and focus on keeping them aiming straight ahead. This low-impact movement can be performed quite fast once you get the hang of it.

15 Primal Pullups: Good ol’ fashioned pullups on a swing-set. The thicker bar will work your grip strength. For a super-primal workout, leap up, swing your feet over the bar, then turn and switch your body to the opposite side of the bar before you hit your pullups. Check out my demo in the video below.

25 Decline Pushups: Prop your toes up on an incline of about 1 1/2 – 2 feet and hit your best and fastest pushups.

200 Yards Throw and Chase: Just like it sounds…take your ball and give it a two-handed underhand hurl as far and high as you can. Sprint after it, pick it up and hurl it again. Continue for about one hundred yards, turn around and do it all over again.
    Want more? Climb a tree!

Bonus challenge: Repeat entire cycle for time. Complete while wearing a weighted vest. Add in your own exercises such as climbing up and over monkey bars, jump-tuck-and-roll off a park bench or table, bear crawl up a slide, high jump over a tennis court net…be creative!

I'd love to know what you think! What kind of primal movements do you incorporate into your mud run training?

crowemagnonman is offline Senior Member
    That looks pretty intense. I'm doing the Warrior Dash on the 19th in Cen Tex so I will definitely give this a shot. Thanks for the workout.
    My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    not bad. i'll have to give this a try once the snow clears.

Primal movements are great for mud running...

Quote Originally Posted by crowemagnonman View Post
    That looks pretty intense. I'm doing the Warrior Dash on the 19th in Cen Tex so I will definitely give this a shot. Thanks for the workout.
    Thanks! The more I train, the more I find "primal" movements the most practical for mud running because the obstacles are so diverse. Actually, Mark S has a link to MovNat on his site that you should check out to learn more about this type of workout - MovNat®: Explore Your True Nature

Keep mudding!
    Paul

Why wait...train in the elements! Thanks for checking it out Rob. All the best! -Paul

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much for posting this! My husband and I are planning on doing a Survivor Mud Run in April. Yikes! This training looks intense and fun! This will definitely help. (It's also a good reality check!) I hope I can keep up.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Seermark is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, I will definitely check this out...need a decent training regimen to start on, and soon.

After having done the Warrior Dash (although mud slog is more appropriate) and the Spartan Sprint this past year, my buddy talked me into signing up for both the Tough Mudder and the Spartan Beast next year.

Needless to say, less hibernating and more training this winter, for sure.

Just an update on this workout...

Hi Gang, I just wrapped up the ABF 10K Mud Run this past weekend in Medford, NJ. It was cold and involved two hundred yard swims with over-unders (logs and kayaks) in 40-45 degree lake! Brutal!

The mud run also had its fair share of obstacles, including walls and such. The "Primal Pullups" I showed in the video really helped me with the walls especially. I was able to jump up and swing my leg over. Most of the participants that I saw needed the help of their teammates to boost over the top. But really, if you can get used to leaping up, then swinging up your leg, you should have no problem hitting a wall solo.

Thanks for checking out this post and if you are looking for more mud run training and tips, be sure to subscribe for my free newsletter at About - Mud Run Maniac - Sign up for free mud run training and tips!

All the best,
    Paul
    paul@mudrunmaniac.com
    Home - Mud Run Maniac - Your #1 source for mud run training and tips.

daakina is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunmaniac View Post
    Hi Gang, I just wrapped up the ABF 10K Mud Run this past weekend in Medford, NJ. It was cold and involved two hundred yard swims with over-unders (logs and kayaks) in 40-45 degree lake! Brutal!

The mud run also had its fair share of obstacles, including walls and such. The "Primal Pullups" I showed in the video really helped me with the walls especially. I was able to jump up and swing my leg over. Most of the participants that I saw needed the help of their teammates to boost over the top. But really, if you can get used to leaping up, then swinging up your leg, you should have no problem hitting a wall solo.

Thanks for checking out this post and if you are looking for more mud run training and tips, be sure to subscribe for my free newsletter at About - Mud Run Maniac - Sign up for free mud run training and tips!

All the best,
    Paul
    paul@mudrunmaniac.com
    Home - Mud Run Maniac - Your #1 source for mud run training and tips.
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the workout! It looks like a serious challenge. How many times per week should an athlete do this workout?

Thanks again,
    Danny