Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Refeed Experiment - Activia page

activia is offline Senior Member

Carb Refeed Experiment - Activia

Shop Now
    Hi Readers,

I live 35 miles south of Boston. I am 5' 1" female and currently 130lbs. I can squeeze uncomfortably into a size 4. My goal is a size 2..get rid of this belly pudge and some of this thigh fat. I'm thinking it will happen around 110.

I'll start with a little history:
    birth - 18: SAD slowly started to gain weight especially in high school when I bought some of my own food like my daily egg sandwhiches and yodels at work. I played softball and attempted to keep in shape. I went from a size 5/6 to a size 7/8 in highschool (unsure of exact weight but it was around 120-130). I didn't eat any whole wheat anything, had instant oatmeal, but did have low fat milk/cheese (2%)..deserts after almost every meal.. so I wasnt even really following conventional wisdom either, more the typical american diet. I did go through a time where I had stomach pain a lot. I went to the doctor and they thought I might need my gall bladder out. Could not find the real cause of the problem.. of course knowing what I know now it was probably caused by my diet.

19 - 21: SAD - eat whatever you want college food madness. Daily loads of pasta/milk shakes/pancakes/ice cream and baked goods. I then skyrocketed from my size 7/8 - size 14! What really set me off was when someone asked if I was pregnant! Thats when it hit me how much weight I had gained.

March at age 21 to - August: read the south beach diet book.. it was time for a change. I finally weighed myself I had skyrocketed to 162lbs. So I went on phase 1, then phase 2 and changed to whole wheat everything, diet soda, cut the sugar (used splenda instead), and cut the carbs. I lost 30lbs by August of that year and was down to 132. I was feeling pretty good, I didnt have a great exercise plan did it mostly with diet and was down to a size 6/7. I could fit into my high school pants again!

August on - New boyfriend..motivation to keep weight off was going down. Slipperly slope happened. The sugar started to creep up again... more and more cookies..and I was "sick of salad". My habits had changed however. I did keep a better eye on what I was eating and followed most conventional wisdom, low fat dairy/whole wheat. I had my non-instant oatmeal every morning with my splenda brown sugar and raisins. I had a deli sandwhich at lunch sometimes with yogurt/chips.. and dinner was either pasta w/cheese & broccoli..shake and bake chicken..sometimes grilled steak.. and lots of whole grain rice. I felt for the most part at this time I was following conventional wisdom (even tho the sugar was creeping). I was also riding my bike to and from work/college.. so about 6-8 miles a day(wish I could still do that but now I live 35 miles from work). After about a year I had gained 10lbs. Back to salads, cut the sugar... Lost the weight, gained it back..moved now I wasnt biking anymore so started going to teh gym 6 hours a week busting my butt... more YoYoing happened. I counted calories dropped down to 130 hit plateau lost motivation then gained it in the next 12-18 months as I fell farther and father down the slope. Pretty typical stuff. I did have another bought of that stomach pain where they thought I was going to need my appendix out this time!! Wrong again, after 2 catscans and 18 hours in the hospital they could not figure out what was wrong with me and sent me home.. eventually the pain stopped.

Oct 2010 -- ENGAGED!!!
    Nov 2010 --hmm weddings are expensive, photos/vidoes very expensive..I need to look the best I can look
    day after thanksgiving 2010 - That's it its time to start today!! I need to lose the weight as fast as I possibly can. Starting Weight: 152 ..Calorie counting commenced. In 6 weeks I lost 10lbs. Then weight loss slowed, I thought I'll just exercise more. I was down to only losing .5lb a week. Then I heard about this Slow carb approach...thought well maybe it will work and did Slow Carb for 5 weeks. I hated beans so stuck with green beans...the every 4 hour meals killed me..microwaved eggs (eww).. and I couldnt figure out what I could eat for dinner so it was the same every night (ground beef/pees/onions and salad dressing on top). There was no way I could eat this way for the rest of my life but didnt matter..just need to lose the weight. The cheat day helped a lot..it was what got me through the week. However I was still only losing .5lb a week. Then someone told me about marksdailyapple.com and I started reading. Around this time I started getting body aches daily that never went away.. I went to my doctor finally who ran every test imaginable and found nothing.. Then I went to see an allergist started taking allergy meds and within a week felt better.

That's it life changed I went primal. I learned new recipes, I got a CSA, I went to local farm stands for my produce. For the first time in my life my diet was not about losing weight but it was about achieving the best health. I decided this was it for life. However I still had a wedding coming up and still wanted to get to my goal.

Coming off slow carb in the middle of April after I got stuck at 130 again! (blasted body seems to like this weight). Primal didnt help too much with my plateu, so I started IF. It was working but I kept having to fast more and more to keep the weight loss going. By august I just plateud again at 120 and the fasting stopped working. My all time low was 119 but this didnt last long..I was actually tettering between 121/122. Then my wedding was on August 20th!

My wedding day I had a Queens breakfast you name it I ate it.... I had a paleo lunch tho and most of the food at the wedding was paleo friendly (except the delicous cake and the stuffed mushrooms). I stayed paleo the day after, then we went on our honeymoon. I cooked an omelet and bacon for us every morning, the first week all our lunches and dinners were paleo (except for a few deserts). The second week we couldnt cook so it was much more difficult..sometimes we didnt even have paleo options... so eventually went off the deep end. (what happens in Hawaii stays in Hawaii right?? haha). Coming back was difficult to get back on track.. finally cut off when I went back to work 2 days later. Went back 100%! It helps having a kitchen stocked full of paleo food. After about a week I weighed myself.. 129.8!

Argh blasted 130 is back to haunt me (except this time I'm 2 sizes smaller)! I figured it would come off the same way as before. I did my IF the same days even! It didnt budge much at all Also when I got back from Hawaii my body aches came back! (Actually had them a couple days while I was there). So I went back on my allergy meds and started living off advil, but it just wasn't working. Pain every day and did not go away for weeks. After a month of this I looked around the forum and read that yogurt helped some people with allergies because of the probiotics. So I started eating yogurt greek full fat with a little local honey 4 ounces twice a day. After 4 days my body aches got better and then went away completely! However my weight loss was STILL stalled.

Well frost finally happened here..so I am off the yogurt now and ready to try carb refeeding! (I still have a couple quarts left which I will eat occasionally)

So here is my new plan: (tracking everything I eat again) **no fruit/nuts..very little yogurt
    Mon: IF until lunch, VLC <30g (green veggies only) **rest day
    Tues: all 3 meals.. slightly higher carb will incorporate squash/cauliflower (still <40g) **boot camp
    Wed: all 3 meals but VLC **rest day
    Thur: all 3 meals High Carb/Low fat <30g of fat. No sugar/fruit..will use tubers/white rice for carbs. **kickboxing
    Fri: all 3 meals.. slightly higher carb will incorporate squash/cauliflower (still <40g) **rest day
    Sat: Sprints & body weight exercises all 3 meals and a little yogurt otherwise similar to Friday
    Sun: 2 meals, VLC

Will walk daily, and at least try to get a hike in on the weekend.

At a rested state I can do:
    1 unassited pull
    14 push ups (military style)
    40 sec plank

I started Yesterday. Weight as of this morning: 127.4
    Follow my diet/weight here: activia - DailyBurn
    Join my challenge here: Fitness Challenges - Carb Refeed Experiment - DailyBurn

So far so good! I was hungry this morning but I didnt lose motivation to do anything (weekend of relaxing really helps me feel refreshed). I did feel good energy I felt like I was running off ketones for sure. I felt satisfied after my lunch (not full) and thoroughly enjoyed the food. (left over marinated sirloin/chicken legs in lard/ salad with homemade dressing). Hopefully I'll feel satisfied until dinner. I have to admit that the crap in the office kitchen (specifically icing) was calling my name briefly (face plant). I did stay away.

Energy level is still good although I was hungry at 3:30.. it passed then I was even hungrier at 4:30.. that passed. A little hungry now at 6 but not too bad slighly light headed. Time to cook. I went to the grocery store and picked up various veggies/bacon. I also got some white potatoes to prep for my carby day on Thursday. I reluctantly bought a bag of candy just in case we get some trick or treater's (although it would be a first). I plan to take the candy to work tomorrow, I'm sure the bag will be gone by noon.

Dinner last night was awesome! I had it later then I wanted because my husband came home late. I had pork cooked w/ and in bacon grease with bacon. I also cooked spinach/onions in the bacon grease YUM! It was delicous and satisfying. Felt full for 5 mins... then at more bacon.. full for another 5 mins.. I then munched on my chicken thighs that I'm having for lunch today which was not long before bed. My body seems to tell me I'm hungry until I hit so many calories for the day..its like uh uh you didnt have breakfast this morning we are still in a major calorie deficit EAT.. haha ;|

I weighed myself this morning and I was not surprised to see it go up from yesterday.. since yesterday I was starving from an hour before bed until morning I knew I had lost some water weight. 128.5 which is actually 1lb less than last Tuesday so I'm still feeling pretty good. I didnt fast at all last week due to my sinus congestion and I had a major carb refeedon thursday (with 3 cups of raisins..which was my DINNER). I'm thinking this strategy is working. I probably could have fasted thru breakfast this morning although I was hungry. So I ate my breakfast (cheese omelete).. I dont think fasting every other day has worked well for me in the past so I'm sticking to the plan.

I was thinking about that outback dinner I had saturday night and how I didnt feel that great after.. I think because i was eating CAFO beef which felt junky to me.. Boy I'm becoming a food snob.

Ah so the power at the gym is still out so no bootcamp tonight :| I will do some HIIT on my own tonight instead (body weight only). So I was pretty satisfied after lunch but got hungry at 4..waited till 5 to eat some more chicken/cauliflower. After I workout I'm going to have some beef/cauliflower and that will be it for the day. After doing some reading in the forums I decided I need to keep track of my BM. I am feeling a little crampy today. I'll need to buy some primal flora. Sorry if that is TMI. They dont happen that often..dont remember when the last one was but it was before Saturday. I'm a bit tired tonight... but I feel like this VLC is working out and my body is fat burning a lot better.

The HIIT training went well. I did feel mentally tired but got it together and did my workout. I wasnt that hungry directly after but got a bit hungry an hour later so I had a small serving of that steak and cauliflower, which was pretty close to bed time. Interesting to note that my hunger was a lot less yesterday in general. I ate more often and I also had more protein less fat and overall ate less calories. Weight was the same this morning. I was very hungry this morning. I had some hard boiled eggs with homemade mayo. It wasn't all that satisfying enough to keep hunger mostly at bay. A little sore today but feel good, I actually felt like this workout was more productive then boot camp because I didnt get so tired out from earlier exercises that it prevented me from really doing other ones effectively. I did 24 30 sec interval with a 25 sec rest. 5 min warm up and cool down. I did pushups/wall sits/planks/mountain men X 3 sets then I did tricep dips, bicep curls, calf raises, and burpees X 3 sets. Only equipment I used was a stool (for calf raises and dips) and a jar full of pennies for my bicep curls. Total workout was 30 mins.

Trying to plan out my meals for tomorrow as skipping on fat and increasing carbs staying primal and without sugar is going to be tough. I will be making mashed potatoes without butter tonight and cooking an entire chicken in the pressure cooker for chicken breasts and buying some tilapi. I already have some brown rice (I would prefer white but I'm going to eat what I have).

TMI Alert: I did have a small BM last night, when I started to exercise I had to go.... but it was small and certainly didnt empty

Hmmm so I was starving for lunch (got slightly shakey??!) Then I got so full I couldnt finish it. I was kinda glad because it was pretty high in calories (720!). I hate leaving 3 bites left argh! I'll probably finish it before I go home and just have a smaller dinner.

Well I'm trying to track everything that I'm experiencing here... so right now I feel like I could jump out of my seat and go on and on forever with the amount of energy I have. I feel invigorated! It was a great 20 min walk at lunch The pain in my lower abs has subsided, I'm sure its constipation. Still need to get those probiotics.

Yawning, I am tired. I haven't been falling asleep good all week. I was all screwed up from the storm on Saturday night where I couldnt sleep so I took a late nap on Sunday. Then I couldnt fall asleep Sunday night and had to get up very early on Monday. This is unusual for me... although once my week starts off bad its hard to get back on track At least I'm sleeping later tomorrow.. Then I just have one more day. Slight lower abdomen pain is back.

OK that dinner was soooo good. Man I love primal dinners the best! I had spinach, with sweet onions again.. as well as some ribs YUM! I was really hungry again around 5:30. Ate dinner at 7:30..funny thing how my hunger passes as I'm cooking dinner? Same with when I exercise..connection? I think so, Grok would have not need to be bothered by hunger pains while getting/prepping a meal. I'm sure I had a high overall calorie intake. I made the mashed potatoes with no butter for tomorrow...have to take them out of the food processor without eating any? Sounds like a job for the husband. Not looking forward to my low fat high carb day tomorrow.. (yes my brain is going, eat sugar instead...but I really want to wean myself off of sugar for now, damn berries were on sale again too! Had to pass them up. Also have grapefruit that will need to be eaten eventually. I think 2 weeks is good, my third week I might do this with some sugar, my grapefruit at least.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast