Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coconut oil aversion page

seaweed is online now Senior Member

coconut oil aversion

Primal Fuel
    i know everyone raves about coconut oil but i really cant stand the stuff. i can bake with the deodourised stuff if i have to make dairy free cakes for ppl but i shouldnt be eating them. i can put the deodourised stuff on my hair when i go swimming to protect it. but i really have to force myself to eat it. the actual coconut oil itself makes me feel nauseous for hours on end. i also fail to understand the amazing reason we should eat it as i dont live anywhere near a coconut palm. it is almost like the vegan i met who told me hemp was the most absorbable protein known to man lol any ideas why it makes me feel so queasy? should i make the effort to eat it somehow? any tips if that is the case? ican btw eat fresh coconut meat without any dramas, in fact i like it so it is not a coconut itself issue. Just coconut oil.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I say listen to your body and pass. Unless you want to start real low, say with one teaspoon a day and increase it weekly to see if you can build tolerance.

dado Guest
    I couldn't find the shit at my local supermarket.

What gives?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    I couldn't find the shit at my local supermarket.

What gives?
    You have to go to a health food store or Whole Foods or order it online. Walmart has a refined version but I would steer clear.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    This website makes so many health claims that it sounds like snake oil instead of coconut oil: Coconut Research Center Home Page
    but I gotta say that it's amazing stuff, hallelujah. Fortunately I LOVE the stuff. I don't measure it, I indiscriminately slop it all over everything: eggs, veggies, meat, and frozen with flavorings into fat bombs. I've made so many other dietary changes that I can't attribute all my health benefits to the coconut oil, but I do notice a (negative) difference when I slack off on the coconut oil. I ingest somewhere around 6 tablespoons a day, give or take a tablespoon or two.
    Personal benefits: better skin (including not burning), weight maintenance, better digestion (no constipation or diarrhea or gas), general sense of well-being, like that dog in the cartoons who floats into the air and hugs himself whenever you toss him a dog biscuit.

dado Guest
    I want to be that dog with the biscuit.

MadelynMc is online now Senior Member
    I don't think it's really necessary to eat loads of the stuff. Personally, I only use it (for food) when baking muffins or frying sweet potatoes. It does amazing things for the skin though. My daughter broke out in a rash on her bottom and legs - slathered her up in coconut oil twice and it was almost completely gone. Her teacher at preschool couldn't believe it because she thought it was toddler acne and usually takes forever to clear up. Sometimes I put it in my hair when the ends are dry or use it for a skin moisturizer. Also, I couple of tablespoons a day will help if you feel like you're catching something. Oh, and I read it does miracles for cold sores. I'm pretty sure it's anti-viral.

But no, if you don't feel like it, you don't need to guzzle the stuff. I don't think eating large quantities of any *one* food is a good idea.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    The first time I tried coconut oil, my eyelids became extremely swollen and stayed swollen for a couple of days, lol. In light of this, I started out slow. I used it to fry some foods, I ate very small amounts, etc. And now my body handles the stuff easily.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    You have to go to a health food store or Whole Foods or order it online. Walmart has a refined version but I would steer clear.
    No reason to avoid refined coconut oil. If you can afford organic, go for it. My Walmart also carries organic refined.

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    it does sound amazing but truly, i want to throw up even thinking about it and i am not prone to hysterical behaviour at all lol i am feeling pretty queasy right now anyways so it really doesnt help. is the deodourised stuff ok still?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast