Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you process conflicting nutrition information? page

nimiety is offline Junior Member

How do you process conflicting nutrition information?

Primal Fuel
    There are *so* many different answers to newbie questions. I've seen people say that VLC is absolutely necessary for those with a lot of weight to lose and others say that it's ultimately counterproductive and hitting the 50-100(or 100-150)g mark is crucial. I've seen people argue passionately both for and against carb cycling/refeeds, and skipping breakfast, and dairy, and high protein/moderate fat, and so on. I wonder how those who've been successful have navigated the initial blast of information, especially with so much conflicting doctrine. What's your process on evaluating claims like these? If you're doing n=1 experimenting, how long do you try each procedure, and how do you measure results? I'd really appreciate input on dealing with this initial overload.

If it helps at all, I'm a woman with PCOS and a lot of weight to lose.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    A simple information filter: burning fat is healthy.

Fatty Acid Oxidation
    In contrast to the hormonal activation of adenylate cyclase and (subsequently) hormone-sensitive lipase in adipocytes, the mobilization of fat from adipose tissue is inhibited by numerous stimuli. The most significant inhibition is that exerted upon adenylate cyclase by insulin. When an individual is in the well fed state, insulin released from the pancreas prevents the inappropriate mobilization of stored fat. Instead, any excess fat and carbohydrate are incorporated into the triacylglycerol pool within adipose tissue.

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    We all bring to the table different metabolic histories. So seek out the info that pertains to you. PCOS, it is likely you have insulin resistance. A lot of weight to lose, another sign of insulin resistance. Would it make sense for you to eat the same as someone who has never been overweight and has no issues with blood sugar control probably not.

nimiety is offline Junior Member
    Yep, definitely insulin resistant (I've had the glucose tolerance test fairly recently), though my blood sugar tends to run low. So I tend to gravitate towards explanations that skew towards avoiding insulin spikes, but have also encountered a fair number of "insulin isn't as big a deal as we think it is"-type stuff. This is kind of what I'm wondering, though: when adopting examples, is metabolic similarity the primary point on which I should be looking for similarity? That would be my gut instinct, but it's kind of tough with so many people sounding so authoritative about their own interpretations and theories.
    Last edited by nimiety; 10-30-2011 at 07:37 PM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    The best thing to do is find the women with PCOS and emulate what has worked for them. You want to piggyback on the PCOS women who came before you and already figured this shit out. Do not listen to a male gym rat who has never been more than 15 pounds overweight. What works for him is not going to work for you.

As far as how long to give an n=1 experiment: one of the best things about the Paleo/Primal lifestyle (not just the food plan) is that it really puts you in touch with your body's signals. You will know pretty quickly if something doesn't work. Example: Me IFing through dinner is an epic fail. I knew right away that it SUCKED (for me). So that n=1 lasted all of 3 days, clearly a big NO. I spent all of the summer before last trying all sorts of different IF techniques/windows/feeding times. Other things like what level of carbs will work best for you, I'd give no more than 30 days.

If this place throws you into info overload (it's understandable), you should pull back, keep it simple, and just go by the book. Most of the Friday success stories don't even come over into the forums.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    I've hung around a weight loss forum for a lot of years (addicted I think) and a lot of people seem to think that what has worked for them is THE solution for everyone else. What you want to find out is what works FOR YOU. Start with the basics and see how that goes. If something is not working then change it. If you seriously don't like the sound of something give it a miss for now (eg. skip breakfast, fasting, steak for breakfast etc - not this little black duck). And definitely seek out those other women with PCOS and listen to them.

tiki333 is offline Member
    You could look into the leptin re-set. Lots of people following that who have a lot to lose, have pcos, insulin resistance, etc. MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

I've been doing it for about 6 weeks and I think it's working really well. I had diabetes and now no longer fit that diagnosis. I'm just insulin resistant and I'm sure I can cure that too.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    The best thing to do is find the women with PCOS and emulate what has worked for them. You want to piggyback on the PCOS women who came before you and already figured this shit out. Do not listen to a male gym rat who has never been more than 15 pounds overweight. What works for him is not going to work for you.

just go by the book.
    Two very sound pieces of advice.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Learning about physiology really helps me to make sense of information and evidence I come across, but physiology is so complicated and full of unknowns that you can't base all of your understanding on it. You can't even rely too much on how you think physiology logically should work, like what kind effects we should be stimulating, what the role of a certain hormone is, etc.

Anecdotal information really tops everything else for me, though to some extent you have to be viewing it through your own lens (this lens is where physiology, evolutionary biology, and personal experience come in). Take in the data others provide, but don't always believe their conclusions.

So I could tell you that when I restricted carbohydrates, I had initial energy, appetite suppression and weight loss, then collapsed into fatigue and cravings then gained all the weight back plus some. Then I could tell you that this is because restricting carbohydrates causes a rise in catecholamines which has stimulating effects which you will eventually become resistant to, all the while lowering your metabolic rate and raising your body fat set point. So take my data into account of everything you already know or suspect - as for my conclusion, research it some and put it to the test against your repertoire of anecdotal evidence.

btw, I've also got PCOS and TigerLily's advice is good. Do not bother with anyone who has not had or worked with people with metabolic/hormonal conditions like PCOS, because until they do they won't be able to fathom the complexity of the issue, let alone what an effective way of fixing it is.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I have tried the Leptin-Rx and IF. Both have worked for me, although the IFing only worked after I did the reset first. I guess my approach is to try it out, assess how I respond to it, ask for advice if needed, quit it and move on if it doesn't work. Of it works, then I keep going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast