Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to sleep in total darkness and wake up to the sun page

elektro is offline Member

How to sleep in total darkness and wake up to the sun

I've been trying to sleep in total darkness, but the problem is that when I do this then I also wake up in total darkness as well. If I close my blinds all the way to block out the lights from outside, then I don't get naturally woken up in the morning by the gradual sun rise. That causes me to often sleep longer and wake up feeling groggy and not very refreshed. So I've been keeping my blinds partly open at night because of this and not sleeping in total darkness. How do you all handle this?

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Sadly I think the only ways you could do it are to move out to the country or install some kind of fancy automated blackout shades in your windows. As a college student with depression, it has become really important for me to wake up early and as energized as possible, so I leave my blinds open even though there's a kind of bright light a few meters away from my window.

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    I have curtains in my windows that dull the light, but it's still light enough in my room that I can see the outlines of everything in it. I just close my eyes, face away from the window, and that's my darkness.

I, too, like being woken up by the gradual lightening in my room (during the longer days), though it doesn't explain why I now wake up twenty minutes before the outside light begins to change...? But I'll wake up and "know" that it's about 10 minutes before my alarm is due to go off, at 7:20. (Only recently have I been waking up to my alarm, but I think it's because I'm not getting to bed before midnight, due to 16yod choosing THAT time to talk. )

You do the best you can with what you got.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I've thought about this a lot lately. Even thought about making some sort of automated curtains as mentioned previously.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 10-30-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You can get an inexpensive timer to plug a lamp into. Just set the timer to turn the light on automatically around the time you want to wake up. I do this and it's a tremendous help, especially in the winter time when the days are ridiculously short.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    I have been using a Sunrise Simulator lamp for years, before primal even, but then I like gadgets.
    Last edited by springnr; 10-31-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    You could hire a butler (or pay a housemate/family member) to open the curtains for you at a certain hour.

LolaLola is offline Member
    I bought an alarm clock with a built in lamp which gradually starts brightening 15 minutes before the alarm goes off. The idea is that the light actually wakes you gradually before the alarm goes off. I found it absolutely invaluable last year. If you look on Amazon there are several versions for sale. Or google for daylight simulator alarm clocks & you'll find them.

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaLola View Post
    I bought an alarm clock with a built in lamp which gradually starts brightening 15 minutes before the alarm goes off. The idea is that the light actually wakes you gradually before the alarm goes off. I found it absolutely invaluable last year. If you look on Amazon there are several versions for sale. Or google for daylight simulator alarm clocks & you'll find them.
    Yeah these things are great. I use one of these: Amazon.com: Philips Hf3485 Wake-up Light Plus, White: Health & Personal Care but there are plenty of varieties around.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaLola View Post
    I have used something similar for years and it has made all the difference in my alertness in the morning.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast