Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon-to-be-Mothers: Actual 'Healthy' Formula? page

Primal Fuel

I agree that breast-feeding is optimal, but if you happen to need something, I found this:

"Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon has alternative formula recipes using things like grassfed liver, chicken stock, etc. Special ingredients can be found at radiantlife.com."

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Yeah... the recipes are on the WAPF website.

I definitely need to look into them in more detail and price them out and compare and such (grassfed raw milk here is VERY pricey - not sure where I'd get goat milk here, but the liver/broth one might be more doable).

I am REALLY hoping that I will be able to breastfeed though... and also will be prepping to do everything I can to make that possible (getting galactagogues like fenugreek and such ready for me to take, i've already bought a hospital-grade pump, reading a book about breastfeeding after breast reduction surgery... etc).

My mother reminded me that when she was a kid formula didn't exist. My grandmother mixed evaporated milk with one other ingredient as a "formula" for my mom and aunt. That doesn't sound anywhere near ideal, and certainly not as good as the nourishing traditions/WAPF recipes, but it sounds way better than any of the formulas on the market.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Yeah, I wish I had a 'do-over' on my children :-(

Working full-time, I soon had limited milk supply :-(

Here's more: http://www.westonaprice.org/A-Breastfeeding-Saga.html

FairyRae2 Guest

I would 100% do the liver/broth formula--much b/4 doing the milk based one. (I'm mama to a milk intolerant kiddo, so that really impacts my opinion, but I think milk is soooo much more likely to be allergenic than liver and broth. And liver and broth are sooooo nourishing!)

It's great to have options--I wish I had known a/b the WAPF recipes when I had milk supply issues in the beginning...

I think liver and bones from grass-fed beef would also likely be much easier to come across and cheaper than the milk... not a ton of people are scrambling for cow bones, you know?

(bones to make broth, in case it wasn't clear)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FairyRae2 Guest

LOL--I'm one of the few people who will go to my awesome grass-fed farmer just for the marrow filled cow bones for stock. I've just recently started buying ground beef from him along w/ fantastic pastured pork (in every form--from sausage to porkchops to lard--it's way cheaper than I expected!), but I don't get the steak--just too darn expensive. For the longest time I just bought bones and chicken livers from him though. I'm sure he thought I was a little odd! :P

That's awesome fairyrae... and I think you're right though, that if you're going to make stock you need GOOD bones, just like if you want to render tallow you want it from a HEALTHY cow... but with steak and stuff like that it's easier to just eat the CAFO stuff and pop a fish oil, if it's not in your budget to get the good stuff yet.

FairyRae2 Guest

And I have found cheaper sources of grass-fed steak at my grocery store (which is an amazing store). I feel bad not supporting my farmer for that but...well, you do what you gotta do!

Yeah--the most important stuff to me is getting that good fat and organ meats--I don't think I would ever eat regular old liver (I'm not a liver lover at all, so that's part of it) and would worry too much about the toxins in CAFO liver. Plus the grass-fed/pastured liver and bones I get are SOOOOO cheap straight from the farmer.

I'm totally w/ you on all that stuff FNW! We just do the best we can!

maba is offline Senior Member

There's a recipe for lightly cooked yolks mixed w/ grated liver in NT.

FNW: That reminds me I have to ask my mom about traditional galactagogues. Will share what she tells me. Fenugreek is the usual recommendation though.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Fenugreek is one galactagogue; blessed thistle is another. Traditional Medicinals puts out a tea for nursing mothers to support milk supply. Highly recommend it - I drank *one* cup once while nursing & it was milk-o-rama! Due to hormones cycles, one of the best ways to keep your milk supply up is night nursing & lots of it (i.e. high frequency).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast