Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating Raw Liver page

michel2tiffin is offline Junior Member

Eating Raw Liver

Shop Now
    Hi everybody,

Been a few threads on here lately mentioning liver so I decided to share an old Bbing practise with the new guys and give a little info about liver, its benefits, its toxicity and how best to eat it!

Liver is an organ meat and is commonly available in most supermarkets. The most common livers available are chicken, Pork, Beef, Lamb and finally Duck, although this is commonly used for Pate as is Goose.

Liver is filthy cheap, currently less than 2 per kilo on Tesco.com, it is a by product and a lot of people are squeamish about eating it, so it stays nice and cheap!

The liver is a detoxifying organ in the body, cut & paste from Wiki:

The liver is a vital organ present in vertebrates and some other animals. It has a wide range of functions, including detoxification, protein synthesis, and production of biochemicals necessary for digestion. The liver is necessary for survival; there is currently no way to compensate for the absence of liver function.
    This organ plays a major role in metabolism and has a number of functions in the body, including glycogen storage, decomposition of red blood cells, plasma protein synthesis, hormone production, and detoxification. It lies below the diaphragm in the thoracic region of the abdomen. It produces bile, an alkaline compound which aids in digestion, via the emulsification of lipids. It also performs and regulates a wide variety of high-volume biochemical reactions requiring highly specialized tissues, including the synthesis and breakdown of small and complex molecules, many of which are necessary for normal vital functions.

People, particularly vegetarian and vegan societys abhore the ingestion of liver as a filthy organ filled with toxins. The poisons can come from processed feeds, antibiotics, vaccine ingredients, pesticide overspray, tap water, and the synthetic hormones that are frequently given to non-organic meat. They also proport that the ingestion of liver is responsible for a rise in Hep E in the US and Clenbuterol poisoning!?!?! (Clenbuterol is appraently given to cattle in the US to preserve their meat?)

While the liver does detoxify, it does not store the toxins which are mobilised into the body fat, tissues and bile of the animal to be excreted. Even so, if you have organic liver available it may be best to cover yourself and buy that instead.

Benefits of eating Liver:

An excellent source of high-quality protein
    Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A
    All the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12
    One of our best sources of folic acid
    A highly usable form of iron
    Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
    An unidentified anti-fatigue factor
    CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function
    A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.

Nutritonal Breakdown of Liver

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
    Energy 561 kJ (134 kcal)
    Carbohydrates 2.5 g
    Fat 3.7 g
    Protein 21 g
    Vitamin A equiv. 6500 μg (722%)
    Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 3 mg (200%)
    Niacin (Vit. B3) 15 mg (100%)
    Vitamin B6 0.7 mg (54%)
    Folate (Vit. B9) 212 μg (53%)
    Vitamin B12 26 μg (1083%)
    Iron 23 mg (184%)
    Sodium 87 mg (4%

So how do you eat it?!

You can cook it by any of the popular methods but I wanted to share a method that preserves the natural goodness of this organ..........Eat it RAW!
    Eating Raw Liver. . .Good Heavens!

Eating raw liver is definitely not a Standard American Dietary (SAD) practice! So why in the world would a sane person even consider eating their liver raw? Most of the reasons are anecdotal with the primary one being that people who do consistently report how good it makes them feel.

Southern hunters have a tradition of eating the liver of their freshly killed deer as a "manly" thing to do.
    In Argentina, cowboys eat liver (and meat) raw or very lightly cooked.
    People who grew up on farms tell of eating the liver freshly warm from the animal and only lightly cooking it (and all the organs and glands)
    Weston Price reported on the consumption of raw liver among African hunter-gatherer tribes. Liver was considered so sacred that they never touched it with their hands, only with their spears. They ate it both raw and cooked.
    The physician Max Gerson used raw liver juice, extracted with a special juicer that pressed out the liquid, in his original healing protocol with pancreatic cancer patients. His daughter, Charlotte Gerson, later dropped this part of the protocol because of the unavailability of fresh clean liver without bacterial contamination. Now a crude liver extract injection or desiccated liver tablets are used in the current protocol. However, Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez, a New York doctor who treats cancer holistically, insists that all his patients eat raw liver.

The How-to-do-it of Eating Raw Liver

This takes some getting used to! There are two basic methods. One calls for freezing the liver for 14 days in large chunks. (**Fourteen days will ensure the elimination of pathogens and parasites.) You can then grate the liver on the small holes of a grater and add it to milk or juice, or even hot cereal. A teaspoon or two of grated raw liver can be added to baby’s egg yolk, or even to mashed vegetables.
    The second method turns liver into pills! Cut fresh liver into pea-sized pieces and freeze for 14 days. Swallow like vitamin pills.
    For both methods, the liver should be of the highest quality available and very fresh.

** A STUDY done on diets containing Raw liver have shown increased rates of parasitic infections and toxocariasis infections.(the study is fairly weak tho!)

Raw Liver Drink Recipe

1/2 - 1 ounce grassfed liver, cut into tiny chunks and frozen (it must be still frozen to blend well)
    1 cup organic tomato juice
    juice of 1/2 lime
    dash hot sauce
    1-2 raw pastured egg yolks
    2-4 tablespoons fermented young coconut juice
    1 tablespoon raw cream

Blend everything together in a blender. You can follow with some fresh papaya if the drink gives you a livery aftertaste. You can also soak the liver chunks in sour milk or lemon juice before freezing to reduce the strong flavor.

A WORD OF CAUTION!
    Liver is a concentrated source of Vitamin A in its Retinol form which can be toxic!
    This is another reason why liver isnt a popular food and probably why its lost popularity in the bbing community.
    The way to avoid toxicity is to limit your liver portions to 200g per week, if you need more protein then get it from other tissue meats.
    Liver has been said to contain parasites that if eaten raw may transmit to humans. Follow the freezing advice given, 14 days minimum.

Hope someone found this interesting, I eat liver occasionally and I love it! Not convinced either way whether it is toxic or not yet so more reading required.

Thanks,
    Michel
    Last edited by michel2tiffin; 05-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I tried a piece of raw liver last time I cooked some. It had no metallic taste, and was actually somewhat sweet. Almost like a dairy product. I had frozen it for three weeks to be safe. The anti-exhaustion studies were too much to ignore. Odds are, I will try it again (more than just a bite) and go for a run to see what it does!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I've been cooking the liver to about medium, letting it cool, and then cutting it in to small cubes and washing it down like pills. I want to get to the point where I can eat it like regular food, but so far I just don't like it. However, it has a major impact on my energy levels so I need to include it.

I don't think I will ever eat raw liver - I am immunosuppressed and can't take any chances with infections or parasites. I don't think the studies showing anti-fatigue benefits of liver were raw were they?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I thought the rats were fed raw liver...I might be wrong. *googles*

Funny that this conversation was started by spam.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Good to know about the 200g/week recommendation. I got a little over 500 grams of grass fed liver and was thinking about eating the whole thing in one sitting. Usually I eat 200-300g/week.

Also I've noticed that after eating conventional beef liver, my urine is vividly yellow compared with when I have grass fed. Does that mean my body is absorbing the retinol better from the grass fed?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I always think of the bright yellow urine being caused by vitamin B2 but I can't think of why grass-fed would have less than conventional.

Jonfvk is offline Junior Member
    I have been putting 4 oz of organic calf liver in my vita mix with a few ounces of water, then I drink it down like a shot of whiskey! The benefits are palpable, high energy, long winded, i work 13 hours days sometimes, on my feet, and when i drink the liver i have energy to spare and when i don't i have issues keeping up, feel old. Its amazing.

boxcarguy07 is online now Senior Member
    Raw liver is fantastic for you, keep it up. I'm all about RAFs (raw animal foods)
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

CluflataCeamp is offline Junior Member

` Х

ߥ˥ԩ`ϡȤˤǥN ǡФˤͤ򥫥Щ`ƤΤ⤢ޤ ` Х gewixx hcyeog fgkxcr ` Х
    fgaggz <a href="http://1coachb.blogspot.jp/">` Х</a> cvhbna <a href="http://1coachb.blogspot.jp/">` Х</a> jnxavq pnrqlh

sunnykist is offline Junior Member
    I put frozen small chunks of raw liver in my green smoothie post workout. You can't taste the liver with all the greens, stevia, cocoa powder and coconut milk. It is yummy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast