Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Solid White Tuna page

Primal Parrothead is offline Junior Member

Canned Solid White Tuna

Primal Fuel
    I'm day 3 into The PB and I'm already starting to feel better! I went to the grocery store yesterday and was going to buy some solid white canned tuna in water. I started reading the ingredients on the label and I ended up leaving the store with no tuna. I was really confused!

Of the 3 brands that were available, ALL of them had SOY as an ingredient. I've been staying away from ALL soy products as of lately, because soy is one of the most highly GMO'ed products out there besides corn. I haven't really read the label on tuna, because I always thought it was just tuna packed in water. Does anyone else eat canned tuna? Or is there a brand that doesn't use soy?

I started to reach for a can of smoked oysters instead, and those are packed in another highly GMO'ed oil, cottonseed.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    wow, i eat canned tuna and smoked oysters. no soy or cottonseed oil in either. trader joe's!

but even at von's you can get tuna without soy... oysters might be trickier. look carefully.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    The 5 brands available here all have sunflower oil in them. I just buy tuna in spring water.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    At least a couple of the name brands have something called 'very low sodium' tuna- and these cans have nothing but tuna and water. You just have to hunt for them in the aisle.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Buy the ones that only have tuna, water/olive oil and salt as the ingredients.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    fresh and easy brand has one that's just tuna olive oil and salt.

Primal Parrothead is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    wow, i eat canned tuna and smoked oysters. no soy or cottonseed oil in either. trader joe's!

but even at von's you can get tuna without soy... oysters might be trickier. look carefully.
    The nearest Trader Joe's is about 90 miles away from where I am. We're pretty rural out here. What brand of smoked oysters and tuna do you buy? Chicken of the Sea, Starkist and Bumble Bee tuna all have soy listed in the ingredients. The only smoked oysters carried in this area is Geisha and those oysters are floating around in cottonseed oil. So, I'm kinda stuck unless I wanna make a day run for special items at Trader Joe's!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Wild Planet has terrific albacore. Soy-free.

Jodiemama is offline Junior Member
    I have to get mine on my stores' dollar isle. I think the brand is Polar, so not a name brand. There is also some from Starkist that is just tuna, olive oil salt. I only saw it at Publix though, not at my local store.

Just keep searching.
    Jodie~ Wife, Mother of two(7yrDD and 4yrDS), Home birthing,Homeschooling, Keeping Chickens in my backyard, and Getting Healthier!
    Our family has gone primal.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    You can also get canned wild caught sockeye salmon. Highly recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast