Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But first, let's kill all the old folks! page

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member

But first, let's kill all the old folks!

Shop Now
    But First, Let’s Kill All the Old Folks!

Fat Guidelines from AARP. Yes, that “outstanding” the organization dedicated to “helping” the over-50 crowd. Their November 2011 magazine has an article by Beth Howard (whoever she is) entitled “Big Fat Myths.” It carefully explains that:

“Unsaturated fats promote health, primarily by cutting cholesterol and thus lowering heart attack risk Two main types of these ‘good’ fats are monounsaturated fats including canola and olive oils.” Well they got that one HALF RIGHT!.

And polyunsaturated fats, like corn and sunflower oils.” Oh yeah – CORN oil????

AARPs sage advice: “Any oil that is liquid at room temperature is heart-smart.”

The article then goes on to “inform” its readers “saturated fats such as butter and lard have the opposite effect, raising blood cholerterol, particularly ‘bad’ LDL cholerterol, and clogging arteries.”

Oh yeah – it did get it right about trans-fats being really bad.

It’s final caution??? “Fats are loaded with calories, so they should not exceed 25 to 35% of daily calories.” Hmmm, just because fats have more calories than carbs they are what??? Automatically restricted to a small portion of your diet???

This is the issue that explains that “60 is the New 40.” Yeah, I guess the new 40 was back when the average lifespan WAS 40 – at least if you follow their fat guidelines.

AARP lowered their membership requirement to 50 several years ago because they didn’t have enough retired folks to support their organization. If they keep handing out advice like this, they’ll soon be lowering their membership level to 40 – the new 60!

(Personal note -- My darling husband signed ME up for AARP so he can get hotel deals when he goes hunting. Not my idea, by any stretch of the imagination.)
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The Boyfriend gets AARP stuff all the time. He isn't a member, but they keep trying. With advice like that, I wouldn't be surprised if their membership was dropping.

But The Boyfriend loves butter. Maybe he should tell them that and they'll leave him alone.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Good idea -- maybe we should start a butter mailing to AARP. Stick a pat in every return mail envelope.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Using room temperature to judge the healthfulness of fats makes as much sense as using ... wind speed to judge ... ah, hell, I can't even finish this but you know what I'm getting at.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Does this mean coconut oil is bad for you in winter and good for you in summer?
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Sure thing, right after I'm done murderizing these fetuseses.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Dealing with these issues personally now. The Dr's are killing elders one pill at a time. (or more like one handful of pills) It's heresy to suggest but everyone within my circle would be better off if they had no "healthcare" at all.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

So true. I currently have friends undergoing chemo, undergoing radiation, and most of those who are not are still taking handfuls of pills they are convinced they cannot live without.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    My mom is 76 and on statins. I told her there is no good reason for her to take them, but she does because she said her cholesterol was really high 30 years ago. Yeah, I know. She's got peripheral neuropathy and a host of other crap, but I'm just delusional.

Anyway, I called her last week and told her about a recent study showing that men may have a U-shaped curve as far as cholesterol levels and the risk of mortality, but as far as the women in the study, it was a straight line - the higher your cholesterol, the lower your risk of dying. The lower your cholesterol, the higher your risk of dying.

She replied. "Well all I know is that my cholesterol levels are good and low now, so I guess I'm doing something right!"

Um... no.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

It is so frustrating, but you can only do so much to educate you friends and loved ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast