Thread: Hindu Squat page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I just stumbled upon the hindu squat, and am wondering how this is supposedly okay for the knees... When you slow this movement down you're resting on your toes, how most Americans squat, which we have all learned is bad for the knees...In all my squatting experience (granted only a few years, but still,) I have ALWAYS been told to put the weight on the heels and NEVER track over the toes. Do you see my confusion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaHBnN-HXX0

Youtube video of a dude doing the Hindu Squat.

Longquan is offline Member

If you have healthy knees it's perfectly fine to go onto your toes using bw only. It is as natural as the other type of squat and in some ways more athletic. I think problems could occur when one overdoes the movement, like doing a hundreds of reps every day. Personally, I use them to loosen up and get the blood flowing after isometric strechting.

stevehtcyl is offline Member

I think that because you are only using your own body weight you probably wont need to worry about damage to the knees

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I know Alwyn Cosgrove has written that he thinks the whole "knees shouldn't go past the toes" mantra is BS. He tells you to watch kids playing; their knees go past their toes all the time. He went on to discuss angles of torque, but my eyes started to glaze over.

I've never understood it, myself. Think about lunges. People are always saying "Don't let the knee go past the toes." but what about the BACK leg? the knee is way, way past the toes!

Pankratos Guest

It is an interesting form of squat, and I tend to do them whenever I use my giant homemade mace for upper body, I feel that they make for a well rounded routine. As for the knee issue I think that since you raise your heel off the ground as you bend your knees they don't actually track past directly over the toes.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I mean...It sounds like people have been doing these forever, and I can't ever remember anybody specifically saying that the hindu squat was bad for you. But do you understand what I'm getting at? @Steve, I think that's a poor excuse to do them, as simply repeating the moves will eventually accumulate damage just as readily as doing less movement but with heavier weight...

Bronx is offline Junior Member

I used to do this all the time.

It actually helped improve my mobility/flexibility after I tore/strained my meniscus in my knee from a soccer injury.

I still do it at crossfit for warmup and soccer warmups.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Bronx----

My doc would KILL me if I did them.

I have a majorly effed up Meniscus in my left knee, caused by a similar movement. After it's repaired---then yeah. But for now, a Hindu Squat would make my knee lock up like a...you know.

Guys...just please be careful out there ;-)

Kaizen Guest

I instantly thought of Matt Furey:

http://www.mattfurey.com/hindu_squats.html

I might suggest doing hindu pushups as well. Honestly I learned a lot of great exercises from reading one of his books. He has the back bridge and a few other weird but intense exercises.