Thread: not new to paleo/primal, but a newbie-ish question page

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member

not new to paleo/primal, but a newbie-ish question

Shop Now
    So I work in a lab and over the past few weeks I've been doing this experiment that requires pretty some strange hours in terms of taking measurements. Getting up and going to sleep at weird and inconsistent hours has sort of affected my intestinal 'rhythm' if you get my drift and I've noticed that my normal somewhat veggie-rich fare leaves me 'stuck'. During last week I took about 4 days where I only ate one huge meal per day (it was more convenient) with no veggies, and I noticed my intestinal issues resolved, but I couldn't really pack in enough food during that meal to have sustained energy, and I think I do better with 2... so my question essentially is: is it okay to "take a break" from veggies for a week or two to let intestinal issues resolve, and how should they be "reintroduced" to not induce gasiness, bloating, or weight gain? I am a "recovered" (well-managed) type 2 diabetic and I am kind of worried that going almost ZC for a few weeks might damage the paltry insulin sensitivity I fought for!

*edit: daily I take supplements of fish oil, vitamin d, and magnesium citrate. also sometimes I take "emergen-c lite" but that's when i think maybe I am getting sick.
    thanks everyone.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating at odd times, why would you continue to poop at regular times?

You'll have to do more experimentation to figure out which veggies are causing the problem. If it is all of them, then you might need some enzyme supplements or probiotics for a while.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    thanks jfreaksho. i suspect your first question is right and i have too high expectations for my intestinal function. i like the experiment idea. i'll start with gentle ones, like spinach leaves and lettuce, and see how addition or subtraction of them works... good idea to isolate the variabiility within veggies