Thread: Question: Pig trotters and some other parts. page

madMUHHH Guest

Shop Now

So, it's finally time to order some new grass-fed beef via the internet and while browsing through the selection of meat my butcher of choice has on offer, I stumbled upon a few unconventional, but cheap cuts.

Now, there's probably no doubt that those parts, albeit being the cheapest still offer a lot of nutrition. But before blindly ordering anything, I thought I'd better ask you guys and gals how exactly one could prepare such things.

For once there are some pig trotters on offer.

( http://cgi.ebay.de/1-kg-Pfoetchen-vo...item56360bfc65 ). Am I correct that I could just make a stick out of those just as I would with other animal parts?

The second thing I am wondering about are rinds, or at least I thing that's what the corect English translation is ( article with picture: http://cgi.ebay.de/1-kg-Schwarten-vo...item5634a5088a ).

The article says that it's a natural thickening agent. But how exactly do I use this and what kind of things can I do with that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I don't know anything about rinds as I'm not sure what is in the picture. It looks like skin with a layer of fat?

But the trotters are excellent. Anything you can do with oxtails you can do with pig's feet. The meat is tender and delicious. I just simmer them in broth until they're falling apart, then pour the broth through a strainer into a separate container, let the feet cool, and take everything apart. My dogs love the skin and the gelatinous membranes. The delicate meat is great for adding back into a soup. You can also use pig's feet to make head cheese, although the head is a little meatier, especially the cheeks. Anyway, just think of nice tender chunks of pork and what you can do with them, such as adding to curries, tossing with your favorite roasted veggies and onions, cooling to add to salads, and you can do that with the meat in trotters.

madMUHHH Guest

Okay, I looked it up a little more in detail, but still ain't that much smarter. The article says it is usually used as a binding agent for sausages or brawn. Now that stuff sure looks interesting and is cheap, but I'm still quite puzzled about it.