Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grek vs. Grok -- I'd Rather Be Grek! page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm not quite sure who came up with the name 'Grok,' and it doesn't matter, but what if I'd rather be Grek, Grok's bulkier, more powerful cousin. In my short time here I've noticed that most of you aspire to be fit, trim, and healthy - many men are aiming for a weight in the 160-180 lbs range (very Mark-ish). And there's NOTHING wrong with that, it's just not me. At 6' tall I carry almost 240 lbs of lean body mass. My "ideal" man is fit and healthy, yes, but also large, hulking even, and powerful, with a body fat percentage in the low-mid teens - I don't need a 6-pack to be happy with my body. I'd be happy @ 230-250 lbs. I want to be able to bench press 405+ lbs, squat and dead lift 600+ lbs (my current PR's) while still being able to touch my toes, climb a tree if necessary, and run a sub 7 minute mile.

Is this personal "ideal" attainable while following the PB?

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Kaizen Guest

I do think it's very possible, but as with any bodybuilding type diet it means watching macros closer and eating more. Everyone can achieve what they want physically with this way of eating. Nothing really different than other "diets" except the foods come from natural sources. Good luck.

Theriomorphos Guest

Well!! At 5'9, 11% bf and under 170 pounds my best pr's were...

Deadlift ( conventional style ) - 455pounds

Squat....405pounds

Front squat...315pounds

Clean and press....225 pounds

Bench press..315pounds

Barbell curls..185 pounds

Dumbell curls....80 pounds each arm.

All this while sporting a fairly good set of abs and definition, not ripped to shreds but really lean. Flexibility wasn't ever a problem due to yoga practice.

Diet was predominantly beef, eggs, cabbage and spinach without a trace of complex carbs...Ouch! except for a slice or two of pizza on the saturdays.

Preworkout fuel ( don't try this please ) .... A cup of tea or a coffee and cigarette.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

As you eat primally, you naturally lean out. If you're 240 at 15%... based on your traininig... just by switching diet you could hit 10% easily.

The thing about primal fitness, is it seems to be more based on everyday use and overall fitness than just max strength.... like being able to do a muscle up or sprint 400m is more important than deadlifting 600 pounds. This is in general.

also, a lot of people are starting extremely overweight with little workout experience... to them being able to do an unassisted pullup is a big deal.

stevehtcyl is offline Member

@chima_p

I'm not so sure, steve had massive shoulders that kinda makes him look a bit badly proportioned, that's just my opinion though.

I'm more inclined to follow the adonis effect system where you measure your shoulders vs waist and if you divide the former the latter and get 1.61 (or chest vs waist and get 1.4) that's the best shape you can be in.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Yes I meant IMO.

His shoulders look huge because he is 6'1 and has a 30" waist(in his prime).

From bodybuilding.com

"The physique of 1940s-1950s bodybuilding legend Steve Reeves will go down in history as being one of the most perfectly proportioned of all time. Many feel his body represents what a bodybuilding physique should look like - flawless and beautiful. His measurements (18.5 inch arms, calves and neck) were regarded as a benchmark for symmetry and proportion, and his philosophy was to keep the body balanced through the adherence to a couple of methods."

I really like that era of BB. All the way up to 1980.

Then it went down hill from there.

stevehtcyl is offline Member

@chima_p

> I really like that era of BB. All the way up to 1980.

Yeh I agree, it went kinda mad

worthc is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theriomorphos View Post
    Well!! At 5'9, 11% bf and under 170 pounds my best pr's were...

Deadlift ( conventional style ) - 455pounds

Squat....405pounds

Front squat...315pounds

Clean and press....225 pounds

Bench press..315pounds

Barbell curls..185 pounds

Dumbell curls....80 pounds each arm.

All this while sporting a fairly good set of abs and definition, not ripped to shreds but really lean. Flexibility wasn't ever a problem due to yoga practice.

Diet was predominantly beef, eggs, cabbage and spinach without a trace of complex carbs...Ouch! except for a slice or two of pizza on the saturdays.

Preworkout fuel ( don't try this please ) .... A cup of tea or a coffee and cigarette.
    How long did you lift (years) before you achieved these impressive numbers?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    It's all Grek to me!

I hear ya on not wanting to be thin Jokaman. At 6', and with your strength goals in mind I don't see any reason for you to dip into the sub 180lbs. range.

Personally I'd love to be a hulking 6' mountain of muscle, but I don't think I'll be growing any further than my 5'6", and at that height the 300lbs I was sporting, and the 278lbs I'm carrying now look pretty bad. I do have the goal of being 175lbs. with single digit bodyfat, but at my height that'll look just fine. I've got to learn to lift, but I'm freakin' lazy.

Just keep lifting heavy, and eat enough primal foods to maintain the muscle mass you want, and I don't see any reason you wouldn't be fine. I've seen "high fat/low carb" diets mentioned on bodybuilding websites as being benefical so Primal should be no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast