Thread: Differences in cheese.... page

goin2befit is offline Member

Differences in cheese....

I know someone around here has to know... is it possible to have an allergy to cream cheese but not say mozzerella or cheddar???

I'm not sure, but I have a high suspicion that I'm allergic to the cream cheese.

I had not been eating cream cheese as of late, but had some in the fridge. Well yesterday, I wanted an omlette ran out of cheddar so I decided to add the cream cheese... I also had broccoli which I usually do not eat. About 1 hour later, I felt horrible and went to the restroom twice with diarrhea. After that I felt fine. I continued to drink water and had hamburger meat for lunch and chicken w/green beans at dinner... Felt fine later in the afternoon.

Well, this morning, I ate cream cheese with turkey... again, felt horrible and about 45 minutes was again in the restroom with diarrhea...

Could it be the cream cheese??? If so, why do I not have the same response with milk, yogurt or other cheeses like cheddar?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Maybe its how it was processed?
    I can eat Mozzarella without any problems, but others will do me dirty. I typically try to stay away from it all now though.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the cream cheese is spoiled?

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    Yes! Absolutely!

I'm allergic to milk (gives me hives) but hard cheeses in general don't bother me. Real Mozzarella is fine but the 'part-skim' varieties bother me. Also some American Cheese slices really make me itchy.

The reason is that milk sugar (lactose) is what people are generally allergic to or can't digest well. Milkfat isn't usually a problem. When cheese is made, the lactose is either fermented out or separated out. In the case of highly processed cheeses (some cream cheeses and American cheese or lowfat cheese) they reduce the fat content by adding lactose back in or remove less of it.

Cheddar cheese contains dramatically less lactose than a glass of milk. You can google and find the lactose amounts in milk, cheeses and other products fairly easily.

It could be that the cream cheese you have is either lowfat or part skim or something. If you go with a higher fat version you might not have the same reaction.

~rc

dado Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    of course it is possible. different cheeses, they look and taste different, so it is logical to expect their composition to be different too, and these differences in make up can result in different reactions for the end user.