Thread: Nutrition Certification/Degree page

Namasteak is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Since graduating with my BA in Social Science a year ago, I have been working as a yoga/pilates instructor and personal trainer. Now that I am looking at either getting more certifications or going back to school for another degree, I've decided I'd like to get one in nutrition. However, I don't want to be bombarded with CW for several months/years...any suggestions?

Should I just memorize the facts for the tests and then never use that information with clients?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Do you want to own your own personal trianing business someday?

...that's about building your client base, not your certs.

Unfortunately we will be moving from CA at the end of May and moving to wherever my fiance gets into graduate school. Since he is getting his phd we will be there about 5 years so maybe then I could start my own business.

Ideally I would be a corporate wellness consultant. Going to different companies advising on exercise, relaxation, nutrition, etc.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

You don't need a degree then. Just a certificate.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Off topic, but your username cracks me up. Love it!

Do you find that fellow yoga instructors look down on your diet, or are they receptive? I stick with plain old Hatha yoga, but the studio I go to is mostly Baptiste-inspired, and most of the instructors are vegan. It makes me feel a bit self-conscious at times, but it is still the best studio around.

I can relate to your concerns about CW in school and the workplace. I've considered returning to school to pursue either nurse midwifery or nutrition, but I'm not sure I could put up with the CW brainwashing embedded in both programs of study.

Good luck figuring out how to proceed! I think the idea of corporate consulting is a fantastic one.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

yeah, get the certificate to show them that you "did the work" and "know stuff" but... educate yourself in what's REAL research-based stuff, not CW.

That's basically what I did with education... got my early childhood education degree and teaching certificate through all the "CW" of teaching. Some of my classes/professors were good, and others were horribly depressing and WRONG. But you deal with it to get the piece of paper, and then do what you know is right.

I'd LOVE to be an educational consultant - going to schools and doing workshops on teaching reading, hands-on math and science, discipline, etc.

Same idea as you - different field. Let us know how it goes as you progress!!!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

I'm trying to expand my knowledge (and resume) by counseling my pt clients with nutrition. Its been hard getting them to accept primal nutrition and the ones that do get overwhelmed because they think they have to do everything at once. Need to work on breaking down components of eating primal and give them out more slowly...

Pikaia- Several yoga teachers I know are vegetarian, but not all of them. Diet has not come up very often and when it does I always start with "from my experience eating primal is the best thing". Glad to hear that there are other primal yogi's on the forums! Have you thought of becoming a doula vs a midwife?

FlyNavyWie, What you did, seems like the best plan of action for me as well. I was hoping to do the crossfit nutrition certificaton because I hear it pushes less of the CW stuff, but they do not appear to have one coming up for awhile. Perhaps I will wait, or try to find an online nutrition certification.

ColleenQ is offline Junior Member

I had this same issue when I decided to return to school. I contacted people in the fitness business I look up to and asked for their advice. Overwhelmingly they told me I'd feel like pounding my head against the wall daily if I did nutrition. Instead they suggested Kinesiology.

I am in an online Kinesiology program through the University of Texas. I'm in my 3rd semester and really love it.

email me if you would like to learn more about it-

cquindlen@omnienv.com

As fascinated as I am about Kinesiology, I'm more interested in nutrition. The certification route prevents me from "banging my head against the wall" for as long but isn't taken as seriously. Decisions decisions!

Oxyjenn is offline Junior Member

I am so confused with what to do about the nutrition thing. I am planning to go into nutrition myself and after reading up on all of the primal ways, I am in a constant battle with what is and isn't worthy. It's like how can I go into nutrition and they teach me everything that is opposite of this living style. I have yet to grasp the primal ways myself just yet. So I cannot determine just yet if it is for me. It all makes a lot of sense though, but like I said, it just goes against what info I have known. I want to do to the whole full animal fat thing, and I really don't eat too much carbs as it is, but I am waiting until it is time to go grocery shopping again so I can alter the list this time. I have a lot to think about with all this. Nutrition and exercise are my life...